Book Snails Book Group discussion

Favorites > Favorites: Movies

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

biblio • bliss (bookgirl1987) | 1150 comments Mod
Are you a movie buff; do you go to the movies often? What's your movie night like at home? Favorite snacks while watching? Let's discuss our favorite actors and movies!

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) Microwave popcorn is not allowed in my home. Seriously! :-) I make it the old school way that my Mom taught me, on the stove!!! And real melted butter with baseball salt. SOOO GOOD! Favorite movie would be Harry Potter (the whole series), hands down!! Second would be the Twilight series. And, no, I will not apologize. I love those two series (books and movies). :-) I always get sad when something I love comes to an end movie-wise (like Lord of the Rings also).

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy I have two girls, ages 14 & 11, so our movie nights typically involve Harry Potter, Disney/Pixar, or Marvel (more for my 14yo). My husband & I disagree on pretty much anything "adult" except for Star Wars & Star Trek (which you could argue aren't even "adult"), so he & I rarely go to the movies together. We're much more likely to go as a family to a Disney/Pixar release, etc., so we go several times a year, but certainly not every weekend. We have a busy fall coming, however -- in November, we have releases of Dr. Strange (Marvel), Fantastic Beasts (HP) & Moana (Disney)! Better start saving the money now! ;-)

message 4: by Kelsey (last edited Sep 13, 2016 12:57PM) (new)

Kelsey I love movies! My favorite movie of all time is Midnight in Paris. Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams, and Tom Hiddleston are in it. It's about a guy named Gil (Owen Wilson) and his fiance Ines (Rachel McAdams) who are vacationing in Paris. Gil is a script writer, but he wants to start working on a book, and he tries to take inspiration from Paris. Ines is just concerned about their upcoming wedding and their money, because she wants to buy a new house. Gil separates from their group one night and accidentally travels back in time, to the 1920's, where he meets Picasso, Fitzgerald, Hemingway, and Stein. He keeps going back because he finds it more fun, and it develops from there. It's a GREAT movie if you love literature!
I also love Marvel movies, too. The Captain America trilogy is my favorite. When new movies come out, I usually end up going to see it three times, one time with my family, the second time with some friends and my brother, and the third time with another friend (because our schedules are completely different).
At the movies, we usually get a large popcorn and share it, and I always love getting the chocolate chip cookie dough bites. They're one of my favorite candies! At home, my mom will usually make popcorn the old fashioned way, or I eat ice cream.

message 5: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 131 comments I love Disney movies, The Blind Side, U571, The Bucket List, Pitch Perfect (love the music), and whatever movies are on the Hallmark Channel at the time.

message 6: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1884 comments Thanks for the good movie suggestions :)

A great fantasy/sci-fi movie that many people have never heard of:
OUTLANDER
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462465/
The 2 ladies who've watched it with me both loved it, so I think that's a good thing. It has a little of everything: action, sci-fi, humor, fantasy, romance... and a wicked alien/dragon.

For dramas, I thought Mickey Rourke was surprisingly great in
THE WRESTLER

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1125849/

For pure entertainment, one of my faves is a magical movie with Edward Norton and Jessica Biel that I can watch over and over:
THE ILLUSIONIST
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443543/

For horror movies, a random one that was actually much better (and funnier!) than the reviews indicated was:
JENNIFER'S BODY
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1131734/

If you like suspenseful submarine movies, some good ones are:

K-19 THE WIDOWMAKER
THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER
CRIMSON TIDE
DAS BOOT
U571 (which Teresa already mentioned)

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) StarMan wrote: "Thanks for the good movie suggestions :)

A great fantasy/sci-fi movie that many people have never heard of:
OUTLANDER
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462465/
The 2 ladies who've watched it with me bo..."

Really StarMan; JENNIFER'S BODY!!??!! You are so nice to say that movie is much better than reviews gave it. Did Megan Fox pay you to say that? Haha!

message 8: by StarMan (last edited Sep 30, 2016 07:07PM) (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1884 comments Julie wrote: "Really StarMan; JENNIFER'S BODY!!??!! You are so nice to say that movie is much better than reviews gave it. Did Megan Fox pay you to say that? Haha! "

Oh, be nice, Julie! I'm not actually a big Megan fan. But that movie was more snarkily funny than I expected. I was expecting a 1.5 star movie, but it was nearly twice that entertaining.. Then again, I always laugh when stupid people die stupidly in stupid horror movies.

I prefer Kate Beckinsale in UNDERWORLD, if you must know.

message 9: by StarMan (last edited Apr 18, 2017 05:53PM) (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1884 comments Why is this not yet a book or movie?

She'd probably swab the deck with Captain Jack Sparrow's disembodied head.

More info:

http://www.rejectedprincesses.com/pri...

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) Favourite movies of mine are "The Last Unicorn," "The Phantom of the Opera," "The Tenth Kingdom," "Gone With the Wind," and "Beauty and the Beast."

message 11: by StarMan (last edited May 17, 2017 12:46PM) (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1884 comments Margaret wrote: "Favourite movies of mine are "The Last Unicorn," "The Phantom of the Opera," "The Tenth Kingdom," "Gone With the Wind," and "Beauty and the Beast.""

Nice movie selections, Margaret. Since you (apparently?) like unicorns, you might like ARIEL by Steven Boyett

Ariel by Steven R. Boyett (newer darker apocalyptic cover)
Ariel by Steven R. Boyett (older shinier 80s cover)

or an earlier Tom Cruise movie:

(view spoiler)

message 12: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Margaret wrote: "Favourite movies of mine are "The Last Unicorn," "The Phantom of the Opera," "The Tenth Kingdom," "Gone With the Wind," and "Beauty and the Beast.""

Good ones!

message 13: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

StarMan wrote: "Why is this not yet a book or movie?

She'd probably swab the deck with Captain Jack Sparrow's disembodied head.

More info:

http://www.rejectedprincesses.com/pri..."

Badass!

message 14: by Lupe, Bibliophile Extraordinaire (new)

Lupe Dominguez (lupedominguez) | 92 comments Mod
Are you a movie buff; do you go to the movies often? What's your movie night like at home? Favorite snacks while watching? Let's discuss our favorite actors and movies!

I'm definitely not a movie buff and I HATE popcorn (I know, I know, blasphemy lol) but movie night at home is just a glass of wine and my Netflix/Hulu/video of my choice. I love musicals and adventures and Harry Potter is probably my favorite series ever (trust me, if I hear the music start, I'm already running toward the MUSIC OF MY PEOPLE)

message 15: by StarMan (last edited Oct 12, 2017 02:45PM) (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1884 comments Lupe wrote: "...I HATE popcorn..."

Awww, have you tried Chester's puffcorn? It's like soft popcorn that melts in your mouth, with no bits to get stuck in your teeth. It comes in regular or CHEESE flavor:

Although personally, I prefer the HOT stuff:

► Snails, what is your favorite movie snack or beverage?

message 16: by Brandyn (last edited Oct 13, 2017 11:18AM) (new)

Brandyn (brandy_k) | 13 comments I know the box office results haven't been impressive this year, but I've seen some great movies.

This years faves
Hidden Figures
Get Out
Wonder Woman
The Big Sick

All Time (without repeats from this year)
The Social Network
Wimbledon
Whip It (2009)

I LOVE movie theatre popcorn, but the microwave stuff is not good.

message 17: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Lupe wrote: "Are you a movie buff; do you go to the movies often? What's your movie night like at home? Favorite snacks while watching? Let's discuss our favorite actors and movies!

I'm definitely not a movie..."

Lol about Harry Potter. I've met people who don't like popcorn, it's ok ;-)

message 18: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

StarMan wrote: "Lupe wrote: "...I HATE popcorn..."

Awww, have you tried Chester's puffcorn? It's like soft popcorn that melts in your mouth, with no bits to get stuck in your teeth. It comes in regular or CHEESE ..."

Love the snack suggestions, StarMan

message 19: by Michaela (new)

Michaela Osiecki (rozemaiden87) I definitely don't go to the cinema terribly often - it's gotta be a fantastic piece for me to brave the movie crowd and sit in an uncomfortable seat while my feet rest on sticky floors and I have to endure the scent of overly buttered popcorn for the better part of two hours.

I will be seeing Thor: Ragnarok though and definitely Star Wars in December. That's likely it though...

As for favorite movies - I'm all about the weird 80's-90's stuff. Labyrinth, Fright Night, Beetlejuice, Fifth Element, all things Marvel (except X-Men), obscure horror films, Marx Brothers stuff, etc.

I like beer and tacos with my at-home movie nights too. Good stuff.

message 20: by Lupe, Bibliophile Extraordinaire (new)

Lupe Dominguez (lupedominguez) | 92 comments Mod
I’m actually super excited to see Thor: Ragnarok. I’ve been hearing nothing but great things.