Book Snails Book Group discussion

Favorites > Favorites: Music

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

biblio • bliss (bookgirl1987) | 1150 comments Mod
What type of music do you enjoy/prefer? Do you make original music of your own? Play any instruments or have a music history? Let's talk favorite genres, artists, and creative endeavors!

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) If you had asked me this between the ages of 18-25, I would have said I would be marrying THE Justin Timberlake from the greatest of all boy bands N'sync. OMG!!!!

However, I have matured a bit at the age of 43 and my tastes (while still enjoying an N'sync song every now and then) have changed a bit. I love Journey, Pat Benatar, and tons of 80-90's music. I can definitely leave today's "music".

message 3: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

I was a fan of the Backstreet Boys in my silly youth lol. I can definitely ditch modern "music" as well! Great grown-up music taste!

message 4: by Just Elise (last edited Jul 19, 2016 05:15PM) (new)

Just Elise (justelise) | 176 comments Haha Allison and Julie, those guilty pleasures. ;) I agree about skipping the music that's out there now (there are some exceptions‎, but I'll definitely skip the top 40 stuff). I also agree about the 80s, but my preference is the more "alternative" 80s: post-punk, ‎new wave and dance sort of stuff.

My taste ranges from industrial to classical, from electro to doo-wop, from rockabilly to new age. But the 80s music I mentioned remains my favorite genre, if you can call it that. 

All that being said, I think my top favorites will always be David Bowie, The Beatles, New Order, The Smiths and Oingo Boingo.‎

I'll skip the boy bands. ;)

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) Just Elise wrote: "Haha Allison and Julie, those guilty pleasures. ;) I agree about skipping the music that's out there now (there are some exceptions‎, but I'll definitely skip the top 40 stuff). I also agree about ..."

Oingo Boingo is da bomb!! :-) Danny Elfman is beyond talented!! Our 11 year old son loves to blare "Little Girls" and sing it when we are driving around. I should videotape that someday before he stops! Haha!

message 6: by Just Elise (new)

Just Elise (justelise) | 176 comments LOL Julie, that's awesome! You should definitely get a video. :D (And share!) ;)

I love Danny Elfman. :D

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) Just Elise wrote: "LOL Julie, that's awesome! You should definitely get a video. :D (And share!) ;)

I love Danny Elfman. :D"

I'll have to do it stealthily!! :-)

message 8: by Just Elise (new)

Just Elise (justelise) | 176 comments Julie, that will probably be tricky - but well worth it, I'm sure! :)

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I really love the stuff CBC Radio 2 plays on their programs "CBC Radio 2 Morning" and "CBC Radio 2 Drive." I also love Josh Groban. He is my favourite singer, without a doubt!

message 10: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Been listening to jazz for a few years now...it soothes my brain like no other type of music can.

message 11: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Between the ages of 11-13, I was obsessed with Green Day, and thought that I'd never love anyone else ever and that I'd marry them and that I was "cool" because I only listened to rock...you know, all that teenage stuff :P

Now, I listen to basically everything, with a few exceptions. I hate screamo and heavy metal..it gives me anxiety! And I don't really tend to like slow R&B stuff, modern rock, or contemporary jazz/swing.

Aside from that, though, I'll listen to anything! Native American music, (A Tribe Called Red is amazing!) the Rat Pack, Artie Shaw, Leon Bridges, Lana del Rey, the Stones, Fleetwood Mac, The Weeknd, Elton John, Beyonce... Harry Styles' first solo album is so good, too!

I actually listen to a huge variety of music in a day. When I drive to work, I either listen to classic music, or 1940's swing. On the way home, it's usually classic rock or hip hop, and when I get home, if I put something on, it's usually a modern artist, like Nicki Minaj, Ariana Grande, Lady Leshurr..etc.

I'm easy! I'll pretty much listen to everything :)

message 12: by Lupe, Bibliophile Extraordinaire (new)

Lupe Dominguez (lupedominguez) | 92 comments Mod
I listen to pretty much anything but if I'm reading, I love listening to classical music. I used to be in band throughout middle and high school so it resonates to me on a whole nother level lol. That and musical sountracks. Like I will listen to Phantom of the Opera and Hamilton on repeat all day, and RENT and Hairspray and...lol

message 13: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Lupe wrote: "I listen to pretty much anything but if I'm reading, I love listening to classical music. I used to be in band throughout middle and high school so it resonates to me on a whole nother level lol. T..."

I could honestly do a one woman show of Hamilton :P Ob-sessed

message 14: by Lupe, Bibliophile Extraordinaire (new)

Kelsey wrote: "Lupe wrote: "I listen to pretty much anything but if I'm reading, I love listening to classical music. I used to be in band throughout middle and high school so it resonates to me on a whole nother..."

Haha right? Driving home from work I might need to pop that in...

message 15: by Brandyn (new)

Brandyn (brandy_k) | 13 comments Lupe and Kelsey - I swear that since first listening to Hamilton all other music just makes me want to listen to Hamilton again.

Pre-Hamilton I was pretty eclectic, but I always keyed up a good Showtunes/Glee mix to sing along to when I cleaned.

message 16: by Michaela (new)

Michaela Osiecki (rozemaiden87) I like a lot of different stuff - 90's girl pop groups like Spice Girls, old classic metal groups like Iron Maiden, Slayer, etc, 80's Goth Rock (Bauhaus is life!), modern butt-rock (Hey....Shinedown is pretty good okay.) and definitely a lot of punk, indie, and new wave stuff.

I recently saw Spoon and Queens of the Stone Age in concert - mindbogglingly good shows, each.

My partner is quite the musician and so we have lots of guitars, amps, and keyboards stashed around our apartment. I acquired a violin recently and I'm trying to convince myself I want to learn. :)

message 17: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1879 comments Michaela wrote: "I like a lot of different stuff - 90's girl pop groups like Spice Girls, old classic metal groups like Iron Maiden, Slayer, etc, 80's Goth Rock (Bauhaus is life!), modern butt-rock (Hey....Shinedow..."

Nice varied taste in music!

One of my favorite bands is Nightwish (euro symphonic metal). And I like nearly all the 80s metal bands. And random artists like Lindsey Stirling (a great violinist!).

message 18: by Lupe, Bibliophile Extraordinaire (new)

StarMan I LOVE Lindsey Sterling!! I have all of her albums and will be getting her most recent as some point. I also love Trans-Siberian Orchestra. And Christmas music. But it can’t be played until Black Friday.