Book Snails Book Group discussion

Favorites > Favorites: TV shows

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

biblio • bliss (bookgirl1987) | 1150 comments Mod
Want to discuss some of your favorite shows? Do you cable or Netflix? Neither? Love television, hate it, don't own one? Let's talk entertainment! We might find some new things to watch based on others' likes and suggestions!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't watch much tv, normally I just watch tv programmes, comedy mostly, Scrubs, Dads Army, Open all hours, can't forget other genres like Supernatural, and of course anime :)

message 3: by Mostafa (new)

Mostafa Younis | 34 comments GOT, Breaking Bad and my all time favorite Dexter, Friends and Cheers for comedy

message 4: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Mostafa wrote: "GOT, Breaking Bad and my all time favorite Dexter, Friends and Cheers for comedy"

I love Dexter and Michael C. Hall. I finished the whole show 2 years ago and I'm thinking about starting it all over again!

message 5: by Elizabeth (last edited Jul 19, 2016 08:25AM) (new)

Elizabeth (bagpipegirl) GOT, Outlander, Walking Dead, Dexter, Downton Abbey, Grimm, Breaking Bad, New Girl, Impractical Jokers, Carbonaro Effect, Jane the Virgin, Orange is the New Black, Shameless.....I think I watch to much tv...lol. I love finding a show that is over on Netflix & binge watching it. Just me? I forgot one, what's wrong with me....Dr. Who!

message 6: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

I love watching Impractical Jokers; Sal is my favorite! I want to read Orange is the New Black, but I don't know if I want to watch it. People seem to enjoy it. No, it's not just you, Elizabeth. When I find a show I like, I'm going to binge-watch it until I've made my way through!

message 7: by Just Elise (new)

Just Elise (justelise) | 176 comments Game of Thrones! I already miss Penny Dreadful - I loved that one. And Doctor Who. I'll add American Horror Story, Agents of SHIELD and Gotham, but I've fallen behind on those and have some catching up to do. I'm a binge-watcher who takes long breaks between binges.

Some older favorites are Buffy, Six Feet Under and Monty Python. :)

message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) Elizabeth wrote: "GOT, Outlander, Walking Dead, Dexter, Downton Abbey, Grimm, Breaking Bad, New Girl, Impractical Jokers, Carbonaro Effect, Jane the Virgin, Orange is the New Black, Shameless.....I think I watch to ..."

I can't imagine going back to cable and having to wait for a WHOLE WEEK before watching the next episode. I will stick with my Hulu and Netflix! I totally get you on this point Elizabeth!

message 9: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) Allison wrote: "I love watching Impractical Jokers; Sal is my favorite! I want to read Orange is the New Black, but I don't know if I want to watch it. People seem to enjoy it. No, it's not just you, Elizabeth. Wh..."

Impractical Jokes!!! OMG! That show is hilarious. I sometimes have to watch it between my fingers. I can't believe some of the things they have to do. Do you remember when Joe had to work in an office and a lady was sitting in the reception area and he had to run around screaming for "LARRY!!! constantly? The only problem was there was no Larry to be found. It was a made up person. I almost peed my pants. When my son and I had to drop my hubby off at our local grocery store and drive around the parking lot waiting for him, I would scream "Larry" and act like I was calling to someone. I did it about 5 times. I had to, my son double-dog dared me!

message 10: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie_prewett) Netflix and Hulu streaming - no cable for us anymore! We haven't had cable for about a year and don't miss it. We still have to deal with the horrid cable company though, because they are our internet provider! UGH!

I don't want too much shows. If I am watching, it's because hubby is wanting my company. I don't mind as long as it's something I can enjoy. We watch animated movies like Home, Box Trolls, Despicable Me. When our child is busy elsewhere, our adult selection would be Supernatural (just started watching it), X Files, and anything about hauntings. Psss, don't tell him I told you, but hubby also likes romantic movies like The Notebook. I am very lucky!

message 11: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Just Elise wrote: "Game of Thrones! I already miss Penny Dreadful - I loved that one. And Doctor Who. I'll add American Horror Story, Agents of SHIELD and Gotham, but I've fallen behind on those and have some catchin..."

I want to start Penny Dreadful, it's on my Netflix list. How many seasons for this show?

message 12: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Julie wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "GOT, Outlander, Walking Dead, Dexter, Downton Abbey, Grimm, Breaking Bad, New Girl, Impractical Jokers, Carbonaro Effect, Jane the Virgin, Orange is the New Black, Shameless.....I..."

Once you experience Netflix...you never go back to the old ways. LOL.

message 13: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Julie wrote: "Allison wrote: "I love watching Impractical Jokers; Sal is my favorite! I want to read Orange is the New Black, but I don't know if I want to watch it. People seem to enjoy it. No, it's not just yo..."

That is straight-up hilarious, Julie! My folks and I joke about "LARRY!!!" often. I don't remember that particular episode but I do know that Larry is always on the loose and can never be located. In my opinion, Joe is the "ballsiest" of the guys...if Joe won't do a challenge, it's gotta be pretty bad/impossible! And of course...if your son double-dog dares you to do something...you gotta do it! ;-)

message 14: by Just Elise (new)

Just Elise (justelise) | 176 comments Allison, there are three seasons of Penny Dreadful. I highly recommend it, especially to anyone who is a fan of classic horror. It's a smart show, and bookishly smart. :)

message 15: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Julie wrote: "Netflix and Hulu streaming - no cable for us anymore! We haven't had cable for about a year and don't miss it. We still have to deal with the horrid cable company though, because they are our inter..."

Psss...you've found a winner if he likes romance flicks too! No one's going to tell on him lol.

message 16: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Just Elise wrote: "Allison, there are three seasons of Penny Dreadful. I highly recommend it, especially to anyone who is a fan of classic horror. It's a smart show, and bookishly smart. :)"

I can commit to it, then! Thanks!

message 17: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1879 comments "Impractical Jokers" sounds like my kind of show... I'll add Season 1 (DVD) to my Want list :)

I cut off the TV (satellite) many years ago. But I've mostly kept up with these shows online:

The Walking Dead
Game of Thrones
The Returned

I'm currently watching Shannara Season 1 (DVD). I'm looking forward to watching Penny Dreadful from the beginning, although I'm sad to hear it's been cancelled.

I should admit that I made it through 3 seasons of Vampire Diaries and 4 seasons of TrueBlood before giving up. By that far along, I was wishing true-death on nearly all the characters (in those kind of shows, even the dead ones keep bouncing back!)

I didn't miss a single episode of Battlestar Galactica (2004-2009), though! And I've got a whole season of Dr Who on DVD waiting for me.

message 18: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

StarMan...if you love slapstick comedy and goofy (like, REALLY) goofy pranks/jokes, there's no reason you won't love the 4 guys (also known as "The Tenderloins") on "Impractical Jokers." It's hilarious, in my opinion. There's several seasons available for you to enjoy should you choose to start the show!

I haven't really gotten into any of the aforementioned TV shows; I like to stick with my comedies, and for the past several months I have been watching almost nothing but old re-runs of "The King of Queens" (love Kevin James so much!) and "Everybody Loves Raymond." So much violence and drama in the real world, when I turn on the tube these days I want to laugh ;-)

That said, when I find a good show I can binge-watch, I take full advantage of it. My folks and I finished up "Gilmore Girls" a few months ago. I look forward to starting "Penny Dreadful" and maybe starting "Dexter" all over again at some point. Indeed, those last 2 shows are dark, so I'm sure if I complete either of them, I'll be ready for more light-heartedness!

Anyone else watching something not already mentioned in the thread? I'm always adding titles to my Netflix queue.

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy We just cut the cable cord & went to streaming through Playstation VUE & Netflix exclusively. This is my family's first time having Netflix & we are loving it.

My all-time favorite tv show is M*A*S*H, showing my age. ;-) For my birthday this year, my husband got me the ENTIRE SERIES (that's 11 seasons!) on DVD -- he won the birthday present war for sure. My current favorites are Sherlock (which I can thank my teenager for introducing me to) & Once Upon a Time, which is the first "grown-up" show (i.e. not on Disney or Nickelodeon) that my daughters & I started watching together. Thanks to Netflix, I am starting at the beginning & working my way through "How I Met Your Mother" & am really enjoying that.

message 20: by Amy (new)

Amy Allison wrote: "StarMan...if you love slapstick comedy and goofy (like, REALLY) goofy pranks/jokes, there's no reason you won't love the 4 guys (also known as "The Tenderloins") on "Impractical Jokers." It's hilar..."

Sherlock. I can't recommend it enough. Benedict Cumberbatch is brilliant.

message 21: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 131 comments I love to read mysteries so all the NCIS series, Bones, and Castle are just a few. Of course, I love the Hallmark Channel and their seasons of movies.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) Some of my favourite TV shows include Friends, Pretty Little Liars, Orange is the New Black, Schitt's Creek, The Walking Dead, Vikings, Game of Thrones, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Heartland, and Once Upon a Time.

message 23: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1879 comments Margaret wrote: "Some of my favourite TV shows include Friends, Pretty Little Liars, Orange is the New Black, Schitt's Creek, The Walking Dead, Vikings, Game of Thrones, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Heartland, and Onc..."

I don't have TV, but I manage to keep up with The Walking Dead and GoT online or on DVD. Winter is coming!

message 24: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new)

Been re-watching some of my favorite TV shows, which include: Frasier, Last Man Standing, The Golden Girls, etc. Watched season 1 of Master of None on Netflix a few months ago and I'm curious to try season 2.

message 25: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey I watch so many different types of shows. On Netflix, I'm rewatching Friends and The Vampire Diaries, and I also watch Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Agents of SHIELD, and Orange Is The New Black. I did watch Bob's Burgers too, until they took it off.. >.>

On actual TV, besides all the sports I watch, I religiously watch Pretty Little Liars, Ghost Brothers, Expedition Unknown, Turn: Washington's Spies, Shark Week, (when it's on!) reruns of Roseanne and The Golden Girls (I watch at least an episode a night!), and pretty much anything else that catches my interest, whether it be Hey Arnold (it makes me nostalgic!), Forbidden History, Mysteries at the Museum, anything WWII related..

I do watch a lot of TV, but most things I also tend to watch with my brother, which is like our 'hang out' time.

message 26: by Just Elise (new)

Just Elise (justelise) | 176 comments Kelsey, I love Turn! Every time I've recommended it to anyone, I've ended up feeling like such a nerd - haha! People tend to have the same kind of response: "uh, seriously? I think I'll pass." I think it's fascinating, and really well done. I know they take some liberties (but it works!), and I'm curious about the real story. I've added a book on that subject to my giant want-to-read-asap mountain. So glad to hear there are more fans out there. ;)

I've been watching American Gods. (I got Starz through Amazon Prime, just to watch it.) It started out very true to the book, but it's veering off in other directions. Most of the actors/characters are perfect. But the ones that aren't are really not. Just my opinion. I'm not sure what I think of it yet. I guess it will depend where it goes.

And I've been on a Twilight Zone kick. I recently read a collection of stories by one of the regular contributing writers (Charles Beaumont), and I got an overwhelming urge to watch it - every episode. That was such a great show!

I'm excited about the new Game of Thrones season! I really hope GRRM doesn't decide against finishing the series because everyone will already know how it ends. :/

Allison, I always liked Frasier. :) And I've heard good things about Master of None. I've added it to my list.

Oh, and The Last Kingdom! I really like that one. A new season was added to Netflix, but I've forgotten what was going on and need to re-watch some of the last season. I think I confused myself by watching several different historical dramas in the meantime. The books are on my to-read-asap mountain. Ha! If that were a physical pile, it probably wouldn't fit in my apartment. ;)

I've finally started making my way through the Sherlock Holmes stories. Now I want to re-watch Sherlock, too. I don't think I realized how perfect Benedict Cumberbatch is in the role.

message 27: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Just Elise wrote: "Kelsey, I love Turn! Every time I've recommended it to anyone, I've ended up feeling like such a nerd - haha! People tend to have the same kind of response: "uh, seriously? I think I'll pass." I th..."

Unfortunately, it's the last season of the show! I've watched it with my brother since the first episode, and my dad has seen the first three episodes so far on Netflix (he works nights so it's hard to watch something at the same time), but if I bring it up to people, their reaction is: "what's that? Never heard of it". I'm the only saying "seriously?! It's like the real life Washington, right in front of our eyes!" (How good is Ian Kahn as Washington?!)

I'll miss it a lot. Although I do wish that they would have focused on the spy ring more, instead of drama, it was a super fun and historical show, unlike anything I've seen. Oh, how I'm going to miss seeing Seth Numrich and Brian Wiles on my screen! *insert heart eyes emoji here*

message 28: by Just Elise (new)

Just Elise (justelise) | 176 comments Kelsey, I didn't realize they're on the last season.. That's sad - I'll miss it. :(

Thats very cool that your brother enjoys watching it with you! I hope your dad can get caught up. I think my dad would like it, too... he's the only person I've mentioned it to who's seemed very interested. I guess non-history buffs just don't find it very intriguing. They don't know what they're missing!

I started with the first season on Netflix, which I binge-watched and have watched the rest as they've aired (I think).

Ohhh, Ian Kahn is fantastic! I agree 100% about Seth Numrich! Brian Wiles, too. And I loved JJ Field as John Andre! ❤ (my substitute for the heart-eyes emoji ;) ) That feels so wrong, haha! I think Jamie Bell is great, and that just about all of the actors do a really good job. The costumes, the set, the writing... I just think it's enthralling. :)

I ended up buying George Washington's Secret Six: The Spy Ring That Saved the American Revolution by Brian Kilmeade instead of the book the show is based on, because of what I've read about them. I hope to get to it soon - and I know I'll be dying to start it even more once the new season starts.

message 29: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1879 comments Thanks for mentioning some shows I haven't heard of, Kelsey & Elise. "Turn" sounds like something I'd like to marathon watch, once all the seasons are done. Maybe 'American Gods' also.

Elise, if you run out of original Twilight Zone episodes, there are tons of books. Here's a new-ish one I picked up recently:

More Stories from the Twilight Zone by Carol Serling (editor)

which apparently comes after this one:
Twilight Zone: 19 Original Stories on the 50th Anniversary

Game o Thrones is back next month...

Saw this GoT board game today:
https://www.amazon.com/Risk-Game-Thro...

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Perry | 29 comments Parks and Recreation, How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, Game of Thrones, Buffy, Battlestar Galactica, Dr Who, Sherlock. That is pretty much all that I watch plus web videos.

message 31: by Lupe, Bibliophile Extraordinaire (new)

Lupe Dominguez (lupedominguez) | 92 comments Mod
Hands down all time favorite show is on the CW - Supernatural. Yes, our 13th season does begin tonight and yes, I'm SO PUMPED!!!

message 32: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Lupe wrote: "Hands down all time favorite show is on the CW - Supernatural. Yes, our 13th season does begin tonight and yes, I'm SO PUMPED!!!"

I used to be obsessed with Supernatural! I had posters, I had jewelry, I finished season 3 in one sitting hahaha. For my senior project at college, I actually chose the show to do my paper on. We had to either pick a show or movie, and analyze it with an ecocritical lens. Of course, I picked Supernatural! Unfortunately, at that point, I was on season 6 and 7, the worst seasons, and spending three months analyzing the show for a 25-30 page paper basically destroyed my love for it. There's points where I want to get back into it, but then I remember where I left off, and why, and I can't bring myself to do it!

message 33: by Lupe, Bibliophile Extraordinaire (new)

Kelsey wrote: "Lupe wrote: "Hands down all time favorite show is on the CW - Supernatural. Yes, our 13th season does begin tonight and yes, I'm SO PUMPED!!!"

I used to be obsessed with Supernatural! I had poster..."

WHAT?!?! I LOVED those two season! there was some phenomenal episodes in there! Yes, they've jumped the shark like a million times, but the storylines are sooooo good!!! YOU MUST COME BACK TO THE DARKSIDE!!!

message 34: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Lupe wrote: "Kelsey wrote: "Lupe wrote: "Hands down all time favorite show is on the CW - Supernatural. Yes, our 13th season does begin tonight and yes, I'm SO PUMPED!!!"

I used to be obsessed with Supernatura..."

Hahaha I thought they were soooo slow! The Leviathan plot was annoying to me as well. And I hated that they basically killed everyone off :P I might come back, one day... I've heard that Season 8 is one of the best seasons they've had. Maybe, just maybe, I'll hear the call again, down the road...

message 35: by StarMan (last edited Oct 12, 2017 02:33PM) (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1879 comments I enjoyed the first season of Penny Dreadful (and am hoping to get the 2nd and final seasons from swapadvd.com eventually). Thanks, Allison, for recommending it earlier.

The Magicians is also on my want list.

For you Game of Thrones fans with withdrawal pains, the 2nd season of The Shannara Chronicles kicked in yesterday (11 Oct 2017):

message 36: by Lupe, Bibliophile Extraordinaire (new)

All the Seasons of Penny Dredful I think are on Netflix. Maybe the most recent season isn’t but I think the others are. I wanted to read The Magicians before watching it but I heard they are quite different so I might forgot and just watch it lol.

message 37: by Brandyn (new)

Brandyn (brandy_k) | 13 comments I have a bad habit of just watching my favorites over and over. For me that's several shows from the late 90's, early 2000's.

Friends
Gilmore Girls
Sports Night/The West Wing/Studio 60 (Aaron Sorkin)
Veronica Mars

Current shows I watch: The Good Place, Modern Family, and Fargo. And way too much House Hunters.

I have a hard time getting into TV shows. I have a huge list of shows that's I've watched the first 4-6 episodes and never returned to them.

message 38: by Michaela (new)

Michaela Osiecki (rozemaiden87) Hmmm, I can't even remember that last time I regularly watched a television show. Does Buffy the Vampire Slayer count? Maybe Agents of Shield or Agent Peggy Carter - since I'm a Marvel fan girl.

message 39: by Just Elise (new)

Just Elise (justelise) | 176 comments Stranger Things is brilliant.

StarMan, glad you got to start Penny Dreadful. That's a cool one.

Michaela, I say Buffy counts. :)

message 40: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1879 comments Just Elise wrote: "StarMan, glad you got to start Penny Dreadful. That's a cool one."

Thanks, I liked it a lot. I think you and Allison both recommended it! If I don't get Seasons 2 & 3 on my swap site, I'll break down and spend cash for it.

Recently started watching Point Pleasant, a paranormal TV show that got cancelled in mid-stride. It's interesting, though a bit TV-cheesy at times. Think of it as [insert generic teen drama set in a beach town] + "The Omen", with a twist. Maybe I won't mind that it all ends with nothing resolved.

message 41: by Lupe, Bibliophile Extraordinaire (new)

I also started Twin Peaks on Netflix. It’s so cool and strange. I love it.

message 42: by Tiny (new)

Tiny (lostsoulreader) | 1 comments I like watching sitcoms and am currently watching Parks and Recreation. My favorite so far has to be Rick and Morty though. It has everything from comedy to philosophy plus Space Travel!

message 43: by JoAlice (new)

JoAlice I love Boy Meets World. My very favorite tv show.

message 44: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) I have a lot of favorites, as of late. Love watching reruns of Friends. Currently, Tuesday night is my favorite night of television. NCIS, FBI, and FBI:Most Wanted are fun to watch. Wednesday nights aren't bad either with the Chicago series...Med, Fire, and PD. My all-time favorite series, though, is 24. SO, so good. Love me some Jack Bauer!😏

message 45: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) JoAlice wrote: "I love Boy Meets World. My very favorite tv show."

That's a good oldie.😊

message 46: by Candace (new)

Candace (candywilliams) | 452 comments Outlander on Starz.