Play Book Tag discussion

July 2016: Biography Memoir > FDR's Funeral Train by Robert Klava. Rated 3 stars.

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (last edited Jul 18, 2016 09:04PM) (new)

Kathy FDR's Funeral Train: A Betrayed Widow, a Soviet Spy, and a Presidency in the Balance by Robert Klara. Rated 3 stars.

An interesting slice of history from President Franklin D. Roosevelt's death on April 12, 1945, in Warm Springs, GA, to his interment in Hyde Park, NY, three days later. The train actually went through the small town that I live in though many years before I was born.

The narrow focus of this story allowed the author to explain the importance of passenger trains before the building of our modern highway system. It was moving to read of the multitude of people who lined the railroad tracks from Georgia to New York to view the slow moving funeral train.

I found the most interesting part to be how the new president, Harry Truman, spent the train ride meeting with Cabinet members and his advisers as he wrote his first speech to be delivered before a joint session of Congress the day after FDR's funeral.

I rated the book three stars due to the minutiae of the actual operation of the train. I really didn't care how many couplers broke along the route; although some readers may. Also the title of the book was a bit disingenuous. There was a man onboard who was accused of being a Soviet spy years after the funeral but it had nothing to do with this situation.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6674 comments Kathy wrote: "I really didn't care how many couplers broke along the route.."

You didn't??? I don't know how you didn't find that completely fascinating (tongue firmly in cheek)..

This definitely sounds like a book where the title promises more than it delivers . . .

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy The couplers . . . It must be a man thing!