Espionage Aficionados discussion

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany
Random Chats > Top Ten Real-Life (Historic) Villains

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Jul 18, 2016 10:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 768 comments Mod
Gang, I'm sorry for letting activity languish around here. But I'm a firm believer in taking care of 'real life' first over the internet.

To try to make amends, here's a fun thread idea.

The espionage genre--more than any other genre, I think--features great crossover from 'real-life' to fiction.

Espionage plotting is very flexible and fluid. Think of 'Rogue Male' for example, where the Brit amateur gets within a few hundred feet of Hitler just prior to WWII for a near-miss assassination attempt.

Now, in this thread I want to identify some true, IRL, out-and-out villains. My own namesake is a worthy selection; he appears in nonfiction of course but also in quite a few espionage thrillers.

Try to stick with classics if possible. Nazis, Soviets, take your pick. Maybe after this thread runs its course I'll do a 'fiction villains' only thread.

Anyway let's each provide a good, tight list of ten real-life villains (whether or not they ever appeared in a spy yarn)

message 2: by Feliks, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 768 comments Mod
My list might start out like this:

SS General Reinhard Heydrich
Richard Milhouse Nixon

message 3: by KOMET (last edited Jul 19, 2016 04:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

KOMET | 36 comments Here is my "Murderers' Row" --

1) Joseph Stalin ("Devil incarnate")
2) Adolf Hitler
3) Mao Zedong
4) Heinrich Himmler
5) SS-Obergruppenführer und General der Polizei Reinhard Heydrich

6) Rudolf Höss - Commandant of Auschwitz
7) George W. Bush
8) Lothar von Trotha (carried out a policy of genocide against the Herero people in German Southwest Africa between 1904 and 1907)

9) Leopold II of Belgium
10) Pol Pot of Cambodia