SSG: Spy/Spec-Ops Group discussion

Random Chats > Your Top Ten Thriller villains - NOW

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Jul 18, 2016 08:23PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 1169 comments Mod
I'm looking for a strong list here. Ten slots for each participant!

Codicil: no "cinema-only" villains. Your picks must come from a literary source first (if they also have a film-counterpart, that's okay).

For example, Doctor Christian Szell from William Goldman's 'Marathon Man'.

Give me good, tight lists here, gang. Can be modern or classic. (You can refine your choices as substitutions occur to you, but at some point please let the cement set).

Let fly!

message 2: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 1169 comments Mod
My list might start like this

Ian Fleming's Ernst Stavro Blofeld
Sax Rohmer's Fu Manchu
Sir Conan Doyle's Dr Moriarty

TBD

message 3: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments I guess one of them would have to be Red Grant (both film and book). First "modern" psychopath in spy fiction and Ian Fleming's exploration on what sort of chap would make the perfect or at least psychologically durable (in a very horrific way) killer.

message 4: by Samuel (last edited Jul 19, 2016 02:11AM) (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments After that? Well there's Rosa Kleb and Karla. The first nearly killed James Bond and if it wasn't for a French Doctor, would have succeeded. The second due to the long term scheme he ran to destabilize the UK SIS. Beautiful in its execution, the sort of scheme, many authors in contemporary spy fiction have forgotten how to write about.

message 5: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments Contemporary villains.
Well there's this chap named Saif Al Din. He's an Egyptian Islamist who heads a terrorist group that would make Daesh blush with embarrassment, and turn green with envy at the toys it has at its disposal.

One of the few post 9/11 fictional terrorists to be genuinely competent and his bite is far worse than his bark. Case in point being when he and the main protagonist of the series he features in are in a race to see whether he can strangle her or she can gut him like a fish.

message 6: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments Next there would be a fellow named Al Qatar.
Also a fictional Islamic terrorist, he acts as an unofficial operations director for Daesh. And he's just as competent as Saif Al Din, but far more psychotic. Handy with a knife and he's more than willing to use the NKVD method of employee motivation (not one step back) when his minions lose their nerves and start to run away.

message 7: by M.L. (last edited Aug 20, 2016 10:33AM) (new)

M.L. Worst villain - Dudley Smith James Ellroy's bad cop. He's a snake in the grass. The Big Nowhere, L.A. Confidential. I think he shows up briefly in the first one, The Black Dahlia but can't swear to it.

message 8: by Samuel (last edited Nov 06, 2016 02:56PM) (new)

Samuel  | 647 comments I loved the film version of Smith. Such a reprehensible man. When Exley pumped the 12 gauge I smiled......