What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Agenda 21 (Agenda 21, #1)
This topic is about Agenda 21
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA, dystopian, girl's mother is killed by government, her child is taken away [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by anna (last edited Jul 21, 2016 07:07AM) (new)

anna (annawhit) ***SOLVED: Agenda 21 by Glenn Beck***

I read a book sometime in late 2014 or early 2015, and just now I realized that I have absolutely no idea what it was. It was paperback, but I don't have a clue what year the book was published in. I'm not 100% sure if I finished it or not. It is in a futuristic setting, where they live in walled concrete square houses, with a government to oversee it all. Their food was in squares, delivered through mail-like slots in their doors. Each neighborhood has a different job, like clothes production, garbage disposal, etc. They had rechargeable electric bikes to ride places.

I distinctly remember the very beginning being about this girl watching her mother get dragged away by the overlording government. The mother kept pictures and books and other contraband in her 'sleeping mat,' which the girl later discovers and has to hide from everyone else. I think her husband dies, and so she is reassigned a new husband, who doesn't like her at all and I think beats her at one point (it might just be implied). She has a child, and all the children in the community are taken to nurseries, so they can't be with their parents until a certain age (I might be getting this portion all foggy - can't remember it exactly). She finally gets a working position in the nursery where her child is, and she plans to sneak it out and leave.

That's as much as I can remember - probably as far as I got in the book. I'm sorry if I'm doing this wrong, it's my first time posting in a group. Thanks for any and all help you guys. :)

message 3: by anna (new)

anna (annawhit) No, those aren't it - the only ones of those I've read is the Giver and that doesn't match up. Thanks anyways though!

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36076 comments Mod
Whycas, what were considered serious crimes in this YA dystopian? For example, you mentioned "pictures and books and other contraband". Were books or personal possessions outlawed? What was the punishment?

message 5: by anna (new)

anna (annawhit) Kris, I remember it being photos, books, paper, letters - I think anything personal was outlawed (even your children are taken away). That wasn't the main focus of the book, however. It was just part of the government's rules. It was your typical strict government novel...speak out and they kill you. Failure to meet your work quota would result in your rations being reduced until you could bring it back up. I'm pretty sure the main character's second husband worked in garbage compacting and disposal. Their sector/district/section of concrete housing wore either orange uniforms or green uniforms, can't remember. There was also a crazy old lady in their district who the gatekeeper finally killed (there is a gate in each sector that makes sure the right people only go in and out at only the right times).

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (bucketofrhymes) | 22 comments Is it maybe Agenda 21?

message 7: by anna (new)

anna (annawhit) Sarah, YES, that's it! Thanks a ton, and you too Kris and Juels. I'm moving this over to solved.

:)