Play Book Tag discussion

Bullet Riddled: The First S.W.A.T. Officer Inside Columbine...and Beyond
This topic is about Bullet Riddled
July 2016: Biography Memoir > Bullet Riddled 4 stars -> memoir by SWAT officer at Columbine

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Megalion | 484 comments Wow. If you ever wished for a true crime story and/or a related memoir, to just tell it as it is without watching their words... this is the book for you.

The whole book is written as if Grant were hanging out with a beer or two on a dark patio, telling his stories.

He's very methodic in describing step by step, each thought and available information, the entry into Columbine at the front of the officers.

I think it's an immensely valuable perspective as he fully acknowledges where things could have gone better. He also spent a good chunk of pages talking about what didn't go right and how that needs to be avoided in the future.

One of the worst things I think is the massive 2nd guessing of the cops post tragedies. He routinely castigates the people. Pointing out that people love to disparage cops for many things but when push comes to shove, they want SWAT there, exactly as they are.

Too true. There are many bad cops out there but that doesn't change the fact that many are good ones, doing the best they can.

He doesn't censor himself either when it comes to his colleagues when they make mistakes that he considers very poor ones.

Ones that even with the "fog of war" should have been common sense to choose otherwise.

Fog of war, he defines this as that very chaotic time when it's a warzone, you don't know who, or how many, or where the shooters are. You're working off bits of information that may not be correct. You've got hundreds of students that need to be gotten to safety even though the enemy is still at large. In those minutes, there's nothing to be done but make snap decisions yourself.

Monday morning quarterbacking is something he does himself. Yet it is simply not acceptable from anyone who has never faced that kind of danger.

A good memoir. Worth reading for an insider's perspective on shooting tragedies.

WARNING: There are many photos throughout the book. A couple of very explicit ones. The Columbine shooters lying in a pool of their own blood. And another shooter who looked like a piece of meat on the gurney afterwards. Large part due to a gas canister having hit an unexpected bull's eye, through his eye.

It's not avoidable as the pictures are scattered through the book and not grouped into one place.

I'm glad for men like him on the force.

Thank you to the publisher for the free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6671 comments Oh, I will put this on my TBR. I've read a good amount about Columbine, and it would be interesting to hear the perspective of the police.