VT Christian Reading Challenge discussion

Book Recommendations 2016 > Humorous Book

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christabelle (new)

Christabelle (christabelleallestad) | 75 comments Any "Must reads" for this category?

message 2: by Danette (new)

Danette | 17 comments P.G. Wodehouse, of course! :)

Summer of the Monkeys
There were parts I could hardly read aloud to my children I was laughing so hard.

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky | 38 comments I would second the recommendation for P.G. Wodehouse. I'd also recommend Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome. If you're looking for something completely irreverent, The Diary of Adam and Eve by Mark Twain is short and hilarious. Twain was not a Christian, and his take on Adam and Eve isn't respectful in the slightest. Yet I couldn't help laughing.

message 4: by Christabelle (new)

Christabelle (christabelleallestad) | 75 comments Mark Twain is a hoot! I think I'll check it out. The others will go on my to-read list. Thanks!

message 5: by K B (new)

K B (kbcook) | 182 comments The Joy of Hate: How to Triumph over Whiners in the Age of Phony Outrage, by Greg Gutfeld was a funny book by a funny guy. His writing employs truckloads of sarcasm, cynicism and satire! He is a wordsmith extraordinaire. His analysis is spot-on and his attitude is fearlessly liberated (not to be misconstrued or considered in the same breath as liberal!) He ends his paragraphs with parenthetical phrases, asides and snide remarks which are all hysterical! You'll either love him or hate him.

message 6: by K B (new)

K B (kbcook) | 182 comments Wit and Humor of the Bible A Literary Study, by Marion Daniel Shutter highlights the sarcasm, cynicism and irony contained within Scripture. Very interesting!

message 7: by Fiona (new)

Fiona | 15 comments Definitely P G Wodehouse. Or, to get insight into gentle, hilarious, English Christian satire (in the sense of fondly laughing at the absurdity of some of the things we Christians do, from the inside) The Sacred Diary of Adrian Plass and its sequels. Not sure how well it might translate across the Atlantic, but has me helpless with laughter on a regular basis.

message 8: by K B (new)

K B (kbcook) | 182 comments My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1), by P.G. Wodehouse ... I miss the humor of the British mind and find it less than stimulating reading. I'll pass on the rest of the Jeeves' series.