Books on the Nightstand discussion

General chat > Little Free Libraries

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (last edited Jul 18, 2016 03:40PM) (new)

Jen (bookandcat) | 31 comments Anyone here ever start a Little Free Library or have a little free library near them? If I could figure out how to build one I'd love to start one. In the meantime, I found this article which has hands down the most beautiful Free Little Library I've ever seen!
http://ellis.fyi/blog/giant-cedar-tre...

message 2: by Frayedknot (new)

Frayedknot | 4 comments There's lots about little libraries on Utube, Wikipedia, and a Google search even found a map where you plug in your Zip code and the library site will be shown IF someone bothered to enter the info on this site. My local newspaper had an article about LFL back in 2012 and I was able to find it again through the newspaper's website.

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2842 comments Mod
Jen wrote: "Anyone here ever start a Little Free Library or have a little free library near them? If I could figure out how to build one I'd love to start one. In the meantime, I found this article which has h..."

Jo Ann Wardein has one. You might drop her a message.

message 4: by Virginia (last edited Aug 23, 2016 08:28PM) (new)

Virginia Rand Are libraries rarer in the US? I've never lived more than two miles away from one in the UK.

biblio • bliss (bookgirl1987) | 8 comments Jen wrote: "Anyone here ever start a Little Free Library or have a little free library near them? If I could figure out how to build one I'd love to start one. In the meantime, I found this article which has h..."

I recently visited my very first Little Free Library and was so happy. I had to document the moment while I was in my happy place. The Little Free Library built into that beautiful tree is astonishing!

message 6: by Jo Ann (last edited Aug 24, 2016 10:43AM) (new)

Jo Ann | 100 comments Jen wrote: "Anyone here ever start a Little Free Library or have a little free library near them? If I could figure out how to build one I'd love to start one. In the meantime, I found this article which has h..."

Jen, I was given a Little Free Library 3 years ago by my youngest daughter as a Mother's Day gift...I LOVE it, and apparently many others do, as well. I was given permission to place it in a very utilized public park near our home, and I can hardly keep it stocked...during these warm months, I put an average of a dozen books a day in....I love being a steward!

Then, for my 70th birthday last December, my husband ordered another LFL via the LFL organization, requesting that it be placed in a needed area anywhere in the US, and given to someone wishing to be a steward, who could not afford one....and this great guy thinks he's not a creative gift-giver?

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 62 comments Virginia, they're not talking about regular libraries. We have one or more of those in almost every town. They're talking about Little Free Libraries, which are things people build and put up in neighborhoods (they usually look like a birdhouse or mailbox) to exchange their own books with others.

message 8: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann | 100 comments Oh, yes, Virginia...and various areas of the U.S. have differing numbers of Little Free Libraries...for instance, Fayetteville, a town of 80,000, probably has 30...one of my daughters lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico, which is much, much, larger, and they have 2. The movement started in Wisconsin, and there's a plethora of Little Free Libraries in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and surrounding states. There are at least 15 within walking distance of my son, for instance. The libraries are community-builders and promote literacy, sharing of books, etc...as Hannah said, it's a "take a book, leave a book" philosophy.

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen (bookandcat) | 31 comments Jo Ann what an incredible gift idea!!!

message 10: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann | 100 comments To anyone interested: The Little Free Library organization has set up an Impact Fund that you may either apply to, to receive a LFL for your neighborhood, or to donate towards the fund to provide for these. The application is for those who wish to steward a LFL but cannot afford it, and the organization wishes to place them in areas to provide the most benefit to the community. If interested, go to: www.littlefreelibary.org, and type in Impact Fund.