Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Book reviews passing as the books themselves

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) I've just stumbled on something which has me a bit gobsmacked, and I'm hoping there's something we as librarians can do to address it. J.T. Salrich, based on I know not what scholarship, has taken twenty of his or her reviews and "published" them along with plot summaries. These items are for sale on Amazon (at $7.99 for some of the Kindle editions), with ASIN #'s, and so I suppose they can't be marked as "not a book", much as I'm dying to do so.

What I'm unhappy about is that this person is using the actual book's title, followed by the author's name, then "Reviewed". And so people are failing to read the whole title (which is truncated in the search bar), and failing to read the book description, and leaving ratings and reviews for the actual book on the review-and-summary page.
Written in My Own Heart's Blood
Top Secret Twenty-One
etc.

I'm trying very hard to separate my righteous indignation from my librarian persona, and failing, and so I come here to ask:

1) Is this kosher?
2) Is there anything librarians can and/or should do about this?
and
3) If it's kosher, can I just self-publish my 640-odd reviews and become a Goodreads author?

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments These are considered published books

There are a number of different "publishers" doing this

message 3: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) I had a bad feeling that was the case.

message 4: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14876 comments Tracey wrote: "If it's kosher, can I just self-publish my 640-odd reviews and become a Goodreads author?"

Yes, but then you'll lose your librarian status :P

message 5: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jul 18, 2016 02:54PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7169 comments deleted post, because I failed to thoroughly look at links in the original post. My bad. ;-(

message 6: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) lethe wrote: "Tracey wrote: "If it's kosher, can I just self-publish my 640-odd reviews and become a Goodreads author?"

Yes, but then you'll lose your librarian status :P"

*weighs alternatives*