HPL Reads Book Club discussion

Welcome aboard! > Just say howdy!

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Houston (new)

Houston Library (hplreadsonlinebookclub) | 134 comments Mod
Please introduce yourself to our group. Name your favorite book or author, the best book you've read in the last year, and your favorite book-to-movie adaptation.

message 2: by HPL Dan (last edited Jul 19, 2016 08:20AM) (new)

HPL Dan (HPLDan) Hi guys! I'm excited to be part of our new online book club. My name is Dan, and I'm a librarian at HPL. I'm a huge comic book reader, and my favorite author is definitely Neil Gaiman. I love his graphic novel series The Sandman and several of his other novels for children and adults, especially American Gods and The Graveyard Book. The best book I've read this past year is Benjamin Alire Saenz's novel Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe. My favorite screen adaptation of a book is probably Alfonso Cuaron's version of Harry Potter: The Prisoner of Azkaban, although a slightly less direct adaptation that I really loved was Chris Nolan's The Dark Knight. Another favorite book-to-screen adaptation is Josh Boone's adaptation of The Fault in Our Stars.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey! I'm Lauren and I've been a librarian since 2012. I've been with Houston Public Library since January 2015. My favorite author is John Green, because he seriously knows his way around a sentence, and my favorite book...I have no idea. There are too many things to read in the world and I probably haven't discovered my favorite book yet. The best book of 2016 so far has been Faithful Place by Tana French, and my favorite book-to-screen adaptation is either any of the Harry Potter series or Game of Thrones. Which reminds me:

LET'S GO GEORGE R.R. MARTIN!!

message 4: by Carolina (new)

Carolina Hi, I'm Carolina. Not a librarian, just a bibliophile. my favorite author changes, of course. Once it was the headiness of Borges. Lately, the fun and delectable mysteries of Andrea Camilleri in English or Spanish translation grace my nightstand.

The most faithful adaptation I've ever seen was BBC'S "Pride and Prejudice" miniseries. The book is dear to my heart. I read way too young to understand, but it has come back over and over in common culture and through my own life. Unfortunately, Austen gave me terrible ideas on how to flirt with moody men in my teens.

I'm looking forward to reading books together. This is the first book club I've joined since leaving grad school.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Woohoo! Nice to have you join us, Carolina.

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 2 comments Hello!!! I'm Jessica! I wish I was a librarian.Lol. I am a receptionist. I LOVE reading!!!!! My favorite has been and will always be Stephen King. I started reading his books when I was 11years old, so we have history.

message 7: by HPL Dan (last edited Jul 26, 2016 12:19PM) (new)

HPL Dan (HPLDan) Jessica, welcome! We're so excited to share our love of books with other readers. I, too, remember discovering Stephen King at an early age. I think I stumbled upon his books with Pet Sematary and Cujo, and I kept on reading after that.

message 8: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 5 comments Hello! I'm Pat7! I'm a retired elementary school teacher who still works part-time with students in reading intervention. I would say that my favorite of all books would be Steinbeck's The Pearl, a magnificent piece of writing. The best book I've read this year is The Little Paris Bookshop and the reason why I voted for it! Even if it isn't selected, PLEASE read this book! You will be transported! The book-to-movie adaptation I liked was To Kill a Mockingbird and the first Harry Potter movie, the name escaping me. I would love to see 800 Grapes by Laura Dave made into a movie but with a different ending to make it more realistic. The depiction of life in the Sonoma wine country from the point of view of wine makers, however, is excellent!

message 9: by HPL Dan (new)

HPL Dan (HPLDan) Pat7, welcome to our book club. So glad to have you join us. We look forward to reading along with you. Thanks for introducing yourself and sharing a little about what books have moved you.

message 10: by Helen (new)

Helen Hi, I'm Helen, a retired librarian, but still active as a volunteer at our local public library. I'm in 2 other book clubs; one at the library and another online that reads Texas-centric books. Books, reading and water aerobics are my life and I look forward spending time with the books nominated and those selected. Reading Lab Girl by Hope Jahren at present. Favorite book? The Nine Tailors by Dorothy Sayers. Best Book so far this year? The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown. Favorite book-to-movie adaptation? The Book Thief or Out of Africa. Just saw Love and Friendship based on Jane Austen's novella Lady Susan and that was very good.

message 11: by Mariana (new)

Mariana (joielivres) Hello, everyone! I am Mariana (also not a librarian... yet!), a customer service representative at HPL-Stanaker and I'm so happy that we're doing an online book club!

My choice for favorite author is tough because I can never pick just one, so let me tell you about my two. 1) J.K. Rowling for helping me discover my love of reading and bringing Harry Potter into my life (is anyone else excited about the release of Cursed Child tomorrow???) And 2) Neil Gaiman for helping me discover my love of urban fantasy and magical realism with the most profound and whimsical writing I have ever encountered!

P.S.: Hey, Dan I remember you from training week! I'm finally (slowly) making my way through Sandman.

message 12: by HPL Dan (new)

HPL Dan (HPLDan) Helen, we're glad to have you join us. Isn't it fun to join more than one reading club? Each one brings a new list of books and a fresh set of perspectives. We hope you'll enjoy some of our selections.

message 13: by HPL Dan (new)

HPL Dan (HPLDan) Mariana, I remember you from NEO training as well. I hope you're enjoying the Sandman. It's one of my absolute favorite things to read. I always come back to reading some of my favorite Gaiman from time to time. Glad to have you join our reading club.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Helen! Welcome to the club.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for joining, Mariana!

message 16: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 5 comments Helen,

Interesting!

May I ask how you came to see Love and Friendship?

Pat

message 17: by Helen (new)

Helen Sure. Love & Friendship is showing here at the Regal cinemas (that is, Austin). It is a historical/comedy starring Kate Beckinsale. Also, it has received good ratings on Rotten Tomatoes.

message 18: by HPL Saima (new)

HPL Saima | 2 comments Hey everyone! Thanks for joining our book club. My name is Saima and yes I am a librarian! I have always loved reading and books. I grew up in a literary family with lots of older siblings whose books I read as a kid.

It is difficult to name favorite authors, poets or books. I love to read Scandinavian mysteries, Urdu poetry, of course the Harry Potter series and more recently Deborah Harkness' All Souls Trilogy. I loved Kamila Shamsie's A God in Every Stone which I read last year.

My favorite book-to-movie adaptations are The English Patient (book by Michael Ondaatje) and The Reader (book by Bernhard Schlink).

Looking forward to reading along y'all! Make sure to vote for your pick for our inaugural selection.

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 3 comments Hi everyone. My name is Amanda. I read a lot. My favorite book of all time is probably Custom of the Country by Edith Wharton. My favorite book I've read this year is Jess Walter's We Live in Water, followed closely by Helen Oyeyemi's what is not yours is not yours. Somehow they both ended up being short story collections, although that's not a majority of what I read. I have a number of movies I love based on books or stories (Stand By Me being one of my favorites) but my favorite may be the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe because it looked and felt like the place I'd imagined when I read the books. Or A Room With a View.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome, Amanda! I have not read either of your favorites; time to add more to my To-Read list! :0)

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren M Hi, everyone. So excited to join the conversation and keep an eye on the picks, even if I'm not the best with reading books on cue... I have to read along with my mood! This year, I loved The Storied Life of AJ Fikry and I just finished Lindy West's memoir, Shrill, and I can't stop thinking about it! I also just watched Room which I thought was a great book to movie transition, especially due to the shift in POV.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Lauren! Thanks for joining our group. Totally fine if you read along with your mood; that's the joy of a virtual club! We're very read to get things started this Friday. :0)

message 23: by Elm31881 (new)

Elm31881 | 1 comments My name is Erica and I just love to read. My favorite author is Anne Rice. It was one of my best days ever when I got to meet her at a book signing. I haven't had a lot of chance to read this year so the last book I've read was Big Little Lies and it was pretty good. My favorite book to movie would be Lord of the Rings. I just love those movies.

message 24: by HPL Dan (last edited Aug 11, 2016 05:54AM) (new)

HPL Dan (HPLDan) Erica, welcome to our group. I know the excitement of getting to meet one of your favorite authors at a book signing. I've been fortunate enough to meet some of my literary heroes and it's always a blast. Thanks for joining and don't forget to vote for your pick!

message 25: by Gwen (new)

Gwen Weddington Hi. I'm Gwen. I am in a bookclub that has been reading books together since 1994. I think the book we all liked the best was Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner. I enjoyed recently Station Eleven. And, also Empire of the Summer Moon which I finished today. Since retiring and also using audio books (from Hoopla and Overdrive) my reading has increased a lot, about one book a week. I'm looking forward to the selections.

message 26: by HPL Dan (new)

HPL Dan (HPLDan) Gwen, that's amazing you guys have been able to continue for over 20 years. What an accomplishment. We're super excited you've joined our group and we look forward to hearing from you as we take on our first book, The After Party.

message 27: by Mallorie (new)

Mallorie | 1 comments hi everyone my name is mallorie and i love to read. practically mysteries but ill read about anything that everyone suggest is good.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome, Mallorie! Please jump right on in and start The After Party by Anton DiSclafani with us! :0)

message 29: by Marissa (new)

Marissa Alexander (illuminerdy) | 2 comments Hi, all! My name is Marissa, and I am a teacher at Dobie High School. I am also a member of the Bracewell book club and the Brazos Bookstore book club. I am excited to be a part of this online one! My favorite book of all time is a tie between A Confederacy of Dunces (Toole) and The Shadow of the Wind (Zafon). My favorite author is a tie between Caleb Carr and Kurt Vonnegut. My favorite book from this year's reading has been The Light Between Oceans. The best book-to-movie I have seen this year is really a mini-series (does that count?) of Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None that was commissioned for the BBC. I look forward to reading The After Party and getting to know everyone :)

message 30: by HPL Dan (new)

HPL Dan (HPLDan) Marissa, welcome aboard. Good luck as the new school year starts. This is about the time we return all the summer reading kids back into your safe hands. So glad to have you join us. Have you had a chance to pick up a copy of The After Party yet? I just picked up a copy last weekend and started the first few chapters.

message 31: by Marissa (new)

Marissa Alexander (illuminerdy) | 2 comments Thanks for having me! I just picked it up. I hope (fingers crossed) to start it tomorrow... Are you liking it so far?

message 32: by HPL Dan (new)

HPL Dan (HPLDan) So far, I do. It looks like it'll be a fun read about a friendship between two girls who grew up side-by-side, but who have very different trajectories in life. As the prologue hints "It was the one constant in our friendship: she would leave and I would look for her. Until I would not." DiSclafani's narrator, Cece, seems to revolve around her more glamorous friend, but their friendship will ultimately be strained by Joan's desires and unwillingness to accept the responsibility of husband and children that others in their circle have. I like the fact that the book seems to start out with this mystery: what happens that drives the two apart so that Cece will no longer search out her lost friend? And did she ever really understand Joan's desires to be something other than what everyone expects her to be? As the story is told from Cece's point of view, I'm expecting there to be issues with an unreliable narrator, since Cece cannot know what is going on in her friend's head, but can only react to the events from her vantage point.

message 33: by Fabmselle (new)

Fabmselle | 1 comments HI - I'm Laura , a librarian and my all time favorite book is Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon. My favorite book so far this year is Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff. Some of my favorite authors are Jasper Fforde and Margaret Atwood. So seems like my favorites take you on a wild ride!
I'm new to online book clubs and hope I can figure it out.. It was hard to decide which book to vote for our first book club selection coz such excellent selections. I may have to read them all someday but glad we're reading the houston one to start.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome, Laura! I absolutely love Margaret Atwood, as well. She certainly knows how to mess with your head and your emotions in the best way. Hope you're able to jump in with The After Party; it's pretty good so far!

message 35: by Erica ☘️ (last edited Aug 24, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

Erica ☘️ (ecmross) Hi All,

Coincidentally, my name is Erica and my favorite author is also Anne Rice! I stumbled upon Interview With A Vampire in my early teens in high school and have loved her ever since! Being from Louisiana (with a husband from New Orleans) I was also able to see an outside view of her former home where she lived for many years.

The best book I've read in the last year...oh, there are many; how to narrow it down?! I would have to say A Toxic Trousseau by Juliet Blackwell. This is book 8 of A Witchcraft Mystery series, but I love a good mystery mingled with paranormal!

My favorite book to movie adaptation would have to be Legends of the Fall. The actors were wonderful, but it is ultimately the cinematography that gets me every time. I own the dvd, but anytime it's playing on tv I tune in! I would also add to this list the Harry Potter movies, the Lord of the Rings movies and Game of Thrones. :)

message 36: by HPL Dan (new)

HPL Dan (HPLDan) Welcome, Erica! I too, discovered Anne Rice in high school. I really loved Queen of the Damned, which I think was the best in the original Vampire Chronicles trilogy, though I think my favorite vampire was Marius. I really loved the back story of Akasha, Maharet, and Mekare. I went through a phase where was into ancient Egyptian legends, so to see Rice turn the mythos of the vampires as something started in ancient Egypt was a lot of fun. I hope you'll pick up a copy of The After Party and join in.

message 37: by Erica ☘️ (new)

Erica ☘️ (ecmross) Hi Dan,

I agree! I loved Queen of the Damned the best and every couple of years or so I read the series again. Yes, I'm picking up my copy of The After Party today to begin.

message 38: by Lea (new)

Lea (hjones8) | 1 comments Hello, I'm LJ! and I love reading books. One of my favorite authors is Maya Angelou and her book entitled, "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" is one of my many favorites. The latest book series I've read and absolutely fell in love with was the Seven Wonders series by Peter Lerangis. I'd originally picked up the books to entice by nephew to read and though he never would read it I a thoroughly enjoyed the series and look forward to the next book.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome, LJ! I haven't yet gotten the pleasure to enjoy any works by Maya Angelou, but she is definitely on my to-read list. Hope you'll join us as we read and discuss The After Party! :0)

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey there Brandi! Welcome to our little book club. Be sure and pick up a copy of The Little Paris Bookshop and join our October/November discussion! :0)

message 41: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (laurieannehasaplan) Hi everyone! I'm a recent college grad from Houston and I love to read!! I can't wait to be a part of the next discussion!

message 42: by HPL Dan (new)

HPL Dan (HPLDan) Welcome aboard, Laurie. Pick up a copy of The Little Paris Bookshop and chime in the discussions. We're glad to have you join us.