HPL Reads Book Club discussion

Welcome aboard! > Making our selections for August/September

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Houston (last edited Jul 20, 2016 01:57PM) (new)

Houston Library (hplreadsonlinebookclub) | 134 comments Mod
We will be reading books from the LibraryReads Newsletter.

Every other month, at the start of the month, we will set up a poll for members to vote for that period's selection. Voting will run through the first two weeks of the month. Most votes wins!

You'll have the rest of the month to track down a copy and start reading. Throughout the two-month period, we'll be posting our thoughts and reactions to the book.

Please check out the catalog records for our nominees for August/September:

My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout

Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katrina Bivald

The After Party by Anton DiSclafani

The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George

Vote for your favorite in the poll found on the book club home page. Voting will close August 11th. We will announce the winning selection August 12th.

We look forward to reading with you!

message 2: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 5 comments I have just finished The Little Paris Bookshop and find it delightfully creative, leaving me with a strong desire to take a houseboat down the same French waterways with time to visit the colors, sounds, and flavors of Provence. Captivating, humorous, and a delight to the senses!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Well that sounds awesome! Thanks for joining and voting; invite your friends and family to have fun with us. :0)

message 4: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 5 comments I am unable so fa r to obtain a copy of the After Party.

Suggestions?

Pat

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Good morning, Pat! I'm so sorry you've been unable to get a copy so far; we did not expect the holds lists to get so crowded so fast. I would make sure you explore all of our digital options as well, including Overdrive and Axis 360. Sometimes these services go through their holds lists quicker. You can also try any other surrounding library system, maybe Harris County or Montgomery County or Fort Bend County, depending on your location.

Hang in there! :0)

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 3 comments Patricia wrote: "I am unable so fa r to obtain a copy of the After Party.

Suggestions?

Pat"

Pat, I managed to get a large-print copy from the Harris County library system without getting on a waitlist. I don't know if they have more available, but it may be worth a shot.

message 7: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2 comments So do we vote on a new book in September to read in October/November? I am on the waiting list for the After Party, too. Thanks.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Deanna! Yes, the idea is that we'll designate a time toward the end of the month to create a new poll and start voting on the next read. However, since we know the holds lists are pretty lengthy for this title, we've discussed extending the discussion for this book. Hang in there and keep us posted! :0)

message 9: by Helen (new)

Helen Hi Everyone,
When do we have the discussion for The After Party? And how will that work? I am in the Texas Our Texas on line book club from the PBS KLRU station here in Austin and we have a live chat.

No holds up here on it in Austin. Even listened partly to it on audio and enjoyed that more than reading it. You could get the accent and the cadence of the speech. Well read.

Looking forward to the discussion and the next book.

Helen

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Helen; thanks for joining us from Austin (live chat sounds like an awesome idea)! Those of us who have the book have gotten started and we administrators have posted one beginning discussion question. We'll probably extend this discussion longer than we intended due to the high holds for this title.

Basically, you'll just contribute to our discussion questions or post your own in the thread and we'll have fun with the conversations. :0)