Oakville Reads discussion

Fifteen Dogs (Quincunx, #2)
This topic is about Fifteen Dogs
Fifteen Dogs > Question #4: Characters

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Which dog are you most drawn to? Least? Why?

message 2: by Jenniferria (new)

Jenniferria | 14 comments My favourite character was Majnoun. I felt like his story was so personal and I loved the dynamic between him and Nira. It really spoke to me how they tried so hard to learn about each other and love each other for who they were despite being so different.

That story line did such an excellent job of depicting the difference between human intelligence v.s the nuances and varied meaning humans have attached to simple language. To me, I could almost equate Majnoun with a child along the Autism spectrum...the language is there, the intelligence is there, but the meaning is often lost because the instinct and intrinsic emotion is not experienced.

And of course...the loyalty...fills and breaks my heart.

Eric | 16 comments I don't know if I would say I was drawn to him but I found the character of Benjy fun to read about. It really confused me when Nira was so offended that he was asking for money - it also didn't really make sense to me why he was even asking for money! I think what I liked most about him was that he was just so unpredictable and he got himself into unique situations.

Prince would be a close second because I enjoyed his love and use of language.

Ashley | 116 comments Mod
I don't know if he was my favourite character, but the dog I connected to the most was Prince.

I don't think I have ever cried while reading a book before, but Prince's story inspired so much emotion in me. He fully accepted his new language, explored the complexity and beauty that can come from language, despite the warnings and confusion from his fellow dogs. He was a even cast out, but at peace with himself.

So it completely gutted me when the gods started taking away his senses. It felt so cruel. And yet, for him to still die happy. Cue the tears.

Eric | 16 comments Ashley wrote: "I don't know if he was my favourite character, but the dog I connected to the most was Prince.

I don't think I have ever cried while reading a book before, but Prince's story inspired so much emo..."

Ya that was awful when they took away his senses! It was so...senseless! I really, really wanted him of all characters to find a way to die happy.

message 6: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan (susanopl) | 472 comments Mod
I agree with other comments here - Majnoun was my favorite dog. I loved it when Nira called him "Maj" because they had such a familiar bond with one another. And it was heartbreaking when (view spoiler).

Prince's use of language was interesting to say the least, as was the reaction of some of the other dogs who attacked him when he recited his poetry. People seem to either like or hate poetry, and I guess that could be true of dogs, too!

message 7: by Jenniferria (new)

Jenniferria | 14 comments Susan wrote: "I agree with other comments here - Majnoun was my favorite dog. I loved it when Nira called him "Maj" because they had such a familiar bond with one another. And it was heartbreaking when [spoilers..."

I think that in Prince's character the author is making social commentary on how we fear those who are different, even if what makes them different isn't bad. The other dogs didn't understand Prince's use of this new and mysterious language and so they feared and excluded him. Humans do this all the time, rather than trying to understand the difference or see the positive side of it, we often push what is "different" away.