Beyond Reality discussion

A Time of Exile (The Westlands, #1)
This topic is about A Time of Exile
SERIES—List & Discussions > Deverry--A TIME OF EXILE: Finished Reading (*SPOILERS*)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 3318 comments Mod
Here's a general topic for people who have finished reading A Time of Exile by Katharine Kerr.

WARNING: SPOILERS LIKELY!

message 2: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Jul 24, 2016 07:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 3318 comments Mod
Although we have important events with Rhodry and Jill to begin and end this story, the bulk of the book is Aderyn's tale, and it's a good one.

I think the Guardians will end up being important in the overall scheme of things, but that's just a feeling I have because of their mystery.

And the ending certainly piqued my curiosity for the unfolding of the rest of this tale.

Edited to add that the dweomer is a harsh master/mistress/partner. Nevyn spends centuries waiting for his love to return so he can train her, but realizes that he has lost her a lover. Rhodry and Jill discover the same thing--she must give herself to the dweomer and in doing so, must lose Rhodry. Dallandra and Aderyn maybe had the best chance to be both Wise Ones and lovers/spouses, but the allure of the mysteries of the Guardians was too strong for Dalla and Aderyn gave himself to the lore and craft rather than another person.

LaTrica | 9 comments I was a little surprised at the change in emphasis from Jill/Rhodry to Adernyn and the Westfolk. However, I really enjoyed this book. I find the Westfolk fascinating (much more so than other elves I've read in other books) and look forward to learning more about them. Especially the lost history and cities.

Most of the dweomer do appear to be single. I initially assumed it was Jill's choice and personality but it seems to happen to most of them.

message 4: by Shel, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shel (shel99) | 2357 comments Mod
Just finished this (it took me two days...hooray for summer vacation and time to read). I liked learning more about Aderyn - we knew that there had to have been an elven wife, given Loddlaen's existence (and it was interesting seeing his origins, knowing how things turned out for him), but if I'm remembering correctly we hadn't learned anything about her before.

I wonder how much of the overarching plot Kerr had outlined before she started writing...I'm always impressed when plot threads weave together so seamlessly over long series.

Really interested to see what happens in Bardek going forward!

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments From my original Goodreads review:

I'm sure I started this one - I may even have finished it - back when it came out, but I didn't get invested in it. Looking back now (at a point where I'm halfway through A Time of Omens, the book after this one), I suspect it's because at about twenty, I was far too engaged in the Jill/Rhodry aspects of the series and at its most basic, that relationship seems to end here (although I now suspect/realise it is not at all that simple). What I was reading for seemed to have gone and so I stopped.

Twenty five or so years later, I'm now fully engaged with the entire world, all the different areas of history and geography and culture and character that Kerr is creating. I'm loving all the different timelines and all the different characters. I can't always remember who is an incarnation of whom, but since the individual stories are all great to read, it doesn't always matter. If it is particularly important (as in the case of the companionship of the blue sprite in this book for example) Kerr makes it clear even to readers with faulty memories to me.