Old Souls Book Club discussion

Have a question? Ask the group! > Do you think spiritual people struggle with money? :)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Saiisha (new)

Saiisha | 544 comments Mod
What are your own thoughts / opinions / beliefs about money? A necessary evil? Just a means to make a living? It's what makes the world go around?

message 2: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Northey (GoodreadscomSlnorthey) | 7 comments Good Grieving: Narrative Perspectives of Loss and Bereavement

I look at money as a necessary evil. If I could have it my way, I would live on a remote piece of land with rolling hills, water sources, and farmable land. I would live out their and be as frugal as possible. I would like to learn how to recycle, seed planting resources, hydroponics, solar energy harnessing, underground refrigeration storage....you name it. But it does take money to get the land. So if I ever get a big chunk of money I would buy land and work all the resources, including hunting and fishing. I want to spend as little as possible. I love the idea of growing food.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie | 53 comments Another excellent question! I believe all spiritual people do not have the same path, pattern, thought process on what spiritual is. Some believe spiritual means poverty and if you believe that that's how it should be, that's how it will be. However, some people think if I'm in "the zone" of spirituality, all will be provided and if you believe it will be that way, it will be.

Money to me is just currency, it means nothing about who you are or aren't. I didn't always consider myself spiritual, so, when I was "not spiritual" I had a different creed I lived by and I had a lot of STUFF. I still have stuff but not as much and I'm not married to it...however, money affords me classes, it affords me books, it afford me a place to live that makes me happy, it affords me experiences my soul craves, I can go to destinations unknown and find a new piece of myself there. Money is a means to an end.

message 4: by Saiisha (new)

S.L. wrote: "Good Grieving: Narrative Perspectives of Loss and Bereavement

I look at money as a necessary evil. If I could have it my way, I would live on a remote piece of land with rolling hi..."

Ah, isn't that the way nature intended SL? That's how the bees, birds and beavers seem to live. They don't "toil", earn money and hoard the way we do. If their nest gets knocked down, they build another one. If their resources are dried up, they move onto the next spot. I'm not saying we need to go back to that way of life - we're humans, and we should be able to use our intelligence to live better - and we do, but maybe too much so, in the modern times. It would be a great idea to think back to the basics!

message 5: by Saiisha (new)

Julie wrote: "Another excellent question! I believe all spiritual people do not have the same path, pattern, thought process on what spiritual is. Some believe spiritual means poverty and if you believe that tha..."

I couldn't agree more Julie - as Thoreau had said, "simplify, simplify, simplify!" Money doesn't need to be a hurdle, or a necessity, but it does help make it easier to live life in the material world.

message 6: by William (new)

William Burcher | 4 comments Julie wrote: "Another excellent question! I believe all spiritual people do not have the same path, pattern, thought process on what spiritual is. Some believe spiritual means poverty and if you believe that tha..."

Well said, Julie. This speaks to me. I too disagree with the people who immediately equate poverty with being "spiritual." In university I studied economics...not because I wanted to learn how to make money, necessarily, but because I saw a free market system as a natural one, mimicking the natural operations (the seeking of balance) of an ecosystem. Despite some very lofty ideals that people might espouse, money is here to stay, and represents real resource, real "energy" in my mind. But as such, it is "of this world," and isn't what spiritual seekers really seek. It is neither good, nor bad—just as the cycles of life, growth, death and decay within an ecosystem are neither good nor bad. These simply are, just as money simply is.

message 7: by Saiisha (new)

I wanted to add my own thoughts on this topic - I was fortunate enough to be raised by parents who treated money as a form of energy - something that flows, something that comes to those who invite it, something that can burden those who hoard it, something that slips away from those who don't respect it. That money itself is neutral, not good or bad, not this heavy thing that many people get so stressed out about. So when I feel like I'm not making enough money, if I can replace the word 'money' with 'energy' it helps to think where I'm blocking energy (in any form), and also where I'm actually abundant (in any form). This re-frame helps me feel more balanced about the place of money in my own life.

message 8: by William (new)

William Burcher | 4 comments Saiisha wrote: "I wanted to add my own thoughts on this topic - I was fortunate enough to be raised by parents who treated money as a form of energy - something that flows, something that comes to those who invite..."

Excellent, Saiisha. Your explanation actually made me smile, and also made a lot of sense. I was raised in a family where money was treated as something to be feared and worried over (and something to cause many, many a fight over too); so I possess a residual constriction there at times. Good suggestion on your part, and way to go parents!

message 9: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Northey | 40 comments Good Grieving: Narrative Perspectives of Loss and Bereavement

I do think I have a mixed mindset with money. My mind says, you need money to do the things you want to do, but my soul says, it will come when you need it. I don't think my soul desires money. So I now think less of money, but my mind shouts sometimes....what about those books you're supposed to write....you won't make money, it's a hobby. I choose not to worry too much...but I think I have been programmed to think of the need of money. I want to live in nature and have self sustaining things. To get their and do everything, you need money. What a conundrum.

message 10: by Saiisha (new)

William wrote: "Saiisha wrote: "I wanted to add my own thoughts on this topic - I was fortunate enough to be raised by parents who treated money as a form of energy - something that flows, something that comes to ..."

Thanks William :) Maybe those childhood fears and fights probably helped trigger you toward economics - your "uniquely personal" lessons to learn?

message 11: by Saiisha (new)

S.L. wrote: "Good Grieving: Narrative Perspectives of Loss and Bereavement

I do think I have a mixed mindset with money. My mind says, you need money to do the things you want to do, but my sou..."

Agree SL - the modern world has been programmed in the last few hundred years to revolve around money, so there's always that push and pull between what our mind says versus what the soul knows!

message 12: by William (new)

William Burcher | 4 comments Saiisha wrote: "Thanks William :) Maybe those childhood fears and fights probably helped trigger you toward economics - your "uniquely personal" lessons to learn? ..."

Hey, well done on the research! (I mention studying economics in my author's biography here on Goodreads). I touched on those "uniquely personal" lessons a bit already. But really, I came to see the flow of money (in a free market system, as rare as these systems really are) as extensions of the Tao, or "the way" of nature, natural systems. Large autonomous systems (ecosystems, or economies) tend to exhibit similar characteristics...seeking balance between points of excess, growth and recession, yin and yang, etc.

Recognizing the NATURAL here was empowering. And it also taught me that if there are negative emotions around something, the way to change this is to learn about it, get involved in it, know it, look it in the eye.

message 13: by James (new)

James Allen (james_allen) | 73 comments William wrote: "...It is neither good, nor bad—just as the cycles of life, growth, death and decay within an ecosystem are neither good nor bad. These simply are, just as money simply is. "

Money itself is neither good nor bad but economic systems have good and bad qualities and lead to good and bad effects. Humans make choices. Historical ecosystems had cycles which had neither good nor bad qualities, being natural, but humans have made and are making conscious choices which have good and bad effects.

message 14: by Saiisha (new)

James wrote: "William wrote: "...It is neither good, nor bad—just as the cycles of life, growth, death and decay within an ecosystem are neither good nor bad. These simply are, just as money simply is. "

Money ..."

That's a great perspective James - that the natural ups and lows of life flow into ups and downs of economic cycles as well, but it's us humans who identify them as good or bad. Isn't it true with all life - that the lesson we need to learn is to stay balanced through the ups and downs?