Ask Pierce Brown discussion

Iron Gold (Red Rising Saga, #4)
This topic is about Iron Gold
Iron Tease

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David | 33 comments Don't know if Pierce or his editors are still monitoring this discussion group; but if they are, was hoping our favorite author could occasionally post up some teasers for the upcoming series. Build up the hype and excitement and maybe give us some hints at what's coming so we can start discussing and debating what's in store for us.

So, my goodman. What do you say?

Shawn Ingle | 25 comments Not an Iron Gold tease but have you seen this?

http://www.newsarama.com/30169-pierce...

message 3: by David (new)

David | 33 comments Thanks, I did see that! Yeah, I'm psyched. A comic book seems like a great medium for this type of story and world.

Lauren Evatt (peerlessscarred) | 10 comments I hadn't heard about the comic series before! This is awesome! Thanks for sharing this!

message 5: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Williams | 3 comments David wrote: "Don't know if Pierce or his editors are still monitoring this discussion group; but if they are, was hoping our favorite author could occasionally post up some teasers for the upcoming series. Buil..."
Is Pierce Brown starting a new series? I hope he does, I love his books.

Meredith (merebooks) | 8 comments I just saw this on my instagram feed and ran right over here to share the love and saw a thread was already started! :D

Here is the post from Pierce's official instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIBh2ZFgb...

Also goodreads already has a page for it:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

Meredith (merebooks) | 8 comments I wonder if we will get both the first Iron Gold book in 2017, plus 'Sons of Ares'? That would be great, but I bet only one gets released in 2017. But I am not complaining too much! The fact we get a whole other trilogy plus the graphic novel is a pretty great deal! :D

Denise Alcaraz (inkshoe) | 51 comments I've never been into comics or graphic novels, but anything Red Rising? I.am.in.hook.line.and.sinker!

message 9: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Bittner (erinbitt) | 2 comments I'm hoping to get my husband into this series through the comics, he likes to read somewhat, and I know he would enjoy this book but it's hard to get him to start something. He LOVES comic books so let's hope my devious plan works >:)

message 10: by David (new)

David | 33 comments Haha, I start a discussion meant to be about Iron Gold and it ends up all about the upcoming comic. No worries though. Love discussing this series either way.

message 11: by Meredith (last edited Jul 20, 2016 09:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Meredith (merebooks) | 8 comments David wrote: "Haha, I start a discussion meant to be about Iron Gold and it ends up all about the upcoming comic. No worries though. Love discussing this series either way."

:P I think several of us are in the other book group for Red Rising... I made a new thread over there for the graphic novel if anyone is interested.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Shawn Ingle | 25 comments David wrote: "Haha, I start a discussion meant to be about Iron Gold and it ends up all about the upcoming comic. No worries though. Love discussing this series either way."

I wish we had something concrete to discuss about Iron Gold. San Diego Comic-Con starts tomorrow and Pierce will be there. Hopefully we get a tidbit or teaser from there.

message 13: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Bittner (erinbitt) | 2 comments David wrote: "Haha, I start a discussion meant to be about Iron Gold and it ends up all about the upcoming comic. No worries though. Love discussing this series either way."

whoops, sorry David! I loved this series I could go off on a tangent on anything about this book haha

message 14: by Meredith (last edited Jul 20, 2016 10:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Meredith (merebooks) | 8 comments Shawn wrote: "I wish we had something concrete to discuss about Iron Gold. San Diego Comic-Con starts tomorrow and Pierce will be there. Hopefully we get a tidbit or teaser from there. ."

I am hoping as well. The great thing about Pierce is that he loves to drop teasers for his fans, so here is hoping! I just love the universe he has created and can not wait to delve further in. I do not think I have been more excited for a series like this since Harry Potter to be honest. I love ASoIAF, but watching GoT has somewhat soiled reading the books. Although I still lvoe reading the books.

I digress... I can not wait for Iron Gold and Sons. Exciting times indeed!

message 15: by David (last edited Jul 20, 2016 11:44AM) (new)

David | 33 comments Well regarding hints on what's to come: so far there's been a little bit that Pierce has revealed through interviews and through his Facebook page. Correct me if I get any of this wrong:

- Iron Gold will take place twenty years after the events of Red Rising

- One of the main themes will be about how you rebuild after a destructive revolution

- Pierce has said that not everyone will have viewed Darrow's actions as heroic, so it sounds like the main character or one of the main characters will be someone who has suffered as a result of Darrow's revolution

- Pierce has also hinted that Darrow will explore his sexuality in the next series

- And just recently, Pierce posted a picture of himself in a flight simulator with a caption reading that he's doing research to write about Blue Howler Rip Wing pilots. So that means that even twenty years after Red Rising, the Howlers are still in operation, they're recruiting for some reason, and they're also recruiting other colors.

So there has been some juiciness to wet our appetites for Iron Gold. I want more!

Shawn Ingle | 25 comments “Demagoguery cannot exist without crisis,” Brown explains. “On the whole, people can be pretty rational when they are not afraid or angry. So I look at the current climate and blustering demagogues and I shake my head because we act as if these politicians just popped up overnight.

“The only reason demagogues throughout history have been able to gain a foothold is because of dissatisfaction with the status quo. Things suck. Then someone starts talking very loudly, and he might be a little weird, a little wonky, but at least he speaks his mind. At least he’s honest. At least he wants to try something different. Something he believes in. He’s gotta be better than the establishment jerks, right? Then, of course, he’s not.”

Brown intends to explore this topic more in depth with his next trilogy called Iron Gold, the first book of which is due next year. Taking place a decade after Morning Star, and featuring the characters “blessed enough to have survived the first trilogy” (there’s a George R. R. Martinesque level of character reduction in Red Rising), Iron Gold will focus on what happens after an empire is destroyed and opportunists rush in to fill the vacuum.

from this article

http://news.nationalpost.com/arts/boo...

Lauren Evatt (peerlessscarred) | 10 comments I hope the Iron Gold series will also expand upon what happens to Cassius and Lysander. I think that would be really interesting.

message 18: by David (new)

David | 33 comments In a recent interview, Pierce said that he's hoping to get Iron Gold out sometime next year!

Lauren Evatt (peerlessscarred) | 10 comments David wrote: "In a recent interview, Pierce said that he's hoping to get Iron Gold out sometime next year!"

That's awesome! Is there somewhere where I can see the interview?

Meredith (merebooks) | 8 comments David wrote: "In a recent interview, Pierce said that he's hoping to get Iron Gold out sometime next year!"

We are being extra soiled in 2017! Loving this! Thank you for posting!

message 21: by David (new)

David | 33 comments Lauren wrote: "David wrote: "In a recent interview, Pierce said that he's hoping to get Iron Gold out sometime next year!"

That's awesome! Is there somewhere where I can see the interview?"

Here ya go! http://suvudu.com/2016/07/sdcc-2016-p...

Lauren Evatt (peerlessscarred) | 10 comments David wrote: "Lauren wrote: "David wrote: "In a recent interview, Pierce said that he's hoping to get Iron Gold out sometime next year!"

That's awesome! Is there somewhere where I can see the interview?"

Here ..."

Thanks so much!

message 23: by JAIME (new) - added it

JAIME (graysfanatomy) | 1 comments David wrote: "In a recent interview, Pierce said that he's hoping to get Iron Gold out sometime next year!"

Mt body is so, so ready.

Gelisvb "Pierce has also hinted that Darrow will explore his sexuality in the next series"
Oh no...I'm so not looking forward for that. The red rising trilogy is one of my all time favourity and if there is something that could make me not reaf the next would be seein Darrow explore his sexuality with someone who is not Mustang. The author could go Lgbt or Plolygamist or whatever with his whole new cast of characters. Why the need to ruin a very good couple?

message 25: by Sharon (new) - added it

Sharon | 5 comments I don't want to read an LGBT book. Please, please don't have Darrow explore his sexuality. He's great the way he is. I LOVED the trilogy, but I won't read about a Questioning Darrow. That would be such a letdown.

Michael Lee Howard -Mayhew (michaelleehoward) | 3 comments There was never any specific mentions of intimate moments in any of the first trilogy. I would only expect the same in the second trilogy. As far as I am concerned it would be nice to see other norms explored as well.

Elisabet Salas (life_of_lizz) | 1 comments I think he means with Mustang. They technically are in a relationship if you recall the surprise Mustang had for him in MS. & it would only make sense if they finally found the time. I don't think he'd ever go to in depth.
He did say however he is introducing other POVs that are part of the LGBT community. But this story is all about rebuilding and the aftermath of a civil war

Gelisvb I want to think that you are right. The poor girl had to put up enough from him without adding a midlife sexual identity crisis.

Meredith (merebooks) | 8 comments Gelisvb wrote: "I want to think that you are right. The poor girl had to put up enough from him without adding a midlife sexual identity crisis."

Not only that, but Darrow has been from the beginning of the first book entirely about his lost wife and trying to find meaning in starting a new family again including having children with another woman. I am in no way opposed or against to character development regarding their sexuality, as I like to have a mix of characters that are not cookie cutters of each other. Darrow being gay is not a problem for me but at this point that should have happened or been hinted at by this point, not in a new series. Maybe I missed something, but from what I remembered that never came up. In fact if I remember correctly some men did come on to Darrow and he either completely did not get the hint or simply was not giving into it because it wasn't his jam. Nothing wrong in that. Now in regards to to other characters, I can definitely see some other characters exploring their sexuality and I am all for that.

What I think maybe a contributing factor in regards to Darrow and Mustang and their relationship is a potential power struggle between the two. Darrow will take the back seat for a bit but that could change. So I see that being much more of a story development in my humble opinion.

With all that said, I love Pierce and completely trust him and believe he will do each character justice and make the adjustments he wants without going deep end bad.

Shantel (fantinethefair) | 5 comments Hello Howlers! I hadn't seen this link posted yet (apologies if it is redundant), but here is the link to the excerpt from Iron Gold that went out to the Red Riding news letter subscribers, and that Pierce later posted on FB. Enjoy!

http://www.randomhousebooks.com/wp-co...

message 31: by Meredith (last edited Mar 07, 2017 02:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Meredith (merebooks) | 8 comments Thank you for posting the link!

Gosh, 2018 is a long way off! It was so good!

Meredith (merebooks) | 8 comments Pierce also posted a new character tease:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRJaGKjjN...