What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Victorian woman rejects proposal, then regrets.

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Brown | 1 comments A woman haughtily rejects a dull suitor, then fails to find anyone else, finally returning gratefully to the original man, underlining a woman's dependence on finding a husband at that time. I would love to find it again. It may have been Virago press.
Many thanks for any help.

message 2: by Kris (last edited Jul 18, 2016 05:56PM) (new)

Kris | 36032 comments Mod
Sarah, what year did you read this historical romance?

Can you tell us more about the heroine and hero - jobs, family, rich, etc.?

What's the tone - romantic, angsty, steamy, funny, somber, bittersweet, etc.? Is it literary fiction with a feminist message?

message 3: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 591 comments It sounds interesting. Hope someone recognizes it.

message 4: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollylovesbooks) | 761 comments That sounds really interesting, Sarah! I know Virago publishes a lot of older works - was this book actually published in the 19th or early 20th centuries? Or is it more modern historical fiction?

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40168 comments Mod
Author male or female?

message 6: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (handmaiden) | 391 comments At its most basic, it sounds like Persuasion, by Jane Austen, though it doesn't fully fit.

A complete list of books Virago publishes can be downloaded here:
http://www.virago.co.uk/books/

message 7: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 591 comments Abigail wrote: "At its most basic, it sounds like Persuasion, by Jane Austen, though it doesn't fully fit.

I agree it doesn't totally fit -- though basic premise has similarities.

As Holly wrote -- it would be helpful if you thought it was historical fiction versus actually period Victorian/19th century fiction...

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I immediately thought of Can You Forgive Her? by Anthony Trollope. Riveting. And the back and forth of it is amazing. I don't know about the Virago connection, though.

message 9: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 591 comments Oh, I could see how that fits. Alice does regret her decision.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Jenna wrote: "Oh, I could see how that fits. Alice does regret her decision."

I think I thought of it because it's the very first Trollope I ever read, and I was off and running! Adore the Palliser novels.

message 11: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 591 comments I think I thought of it because it's the very first Trollope I ever read, and I was off and running! Adore the Palliser novels.
Me too.
And love the BBC adaptation of both Pallisers and Barchester Chronicles-books.

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40168 comments Mod
Sarah, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1531 comments Possibly The House of Mirth, although she doesn't go back to the man who proposed after rejecting him. It was published as a Virago Modern Classic.