Play Book Tag discussion

The Queen of the Night
This topic is about The Queen of the Night
Archive: Other Books > The Queen of the Night - Alexander Chee 3/5

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole D. | 1496 comments Does editing exist anymore? I'm starting to suspect it does not. This book certainly needed it.

Set in the late 1800's primarily in Paris, the historical aspect of this book was the most interesting part to me. I'm not a fan of Opera, but even the Opera stuff was mostly interesting.

Where the book failed for me were the relationships. They were just ridiculous to me.

SPOILERS

One relationship:
Hi I banged you in a garden 5 years ago and I don't even know your name, but I love you.

Another relationship:

I own you. Literally own you, so you will love me.
Ahhhh, romance.

END SPOILERS

I felt conked over the head with the ridiculousness of the relationships, and that's where the editing would have really helped.

It was OK, but I won't be recommending it to anybody.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Bummer. This is still in the running for my favorite book of the year.

Jennifer Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments I felt the same as Nicole #1. I wasn't sure the book knew what it wanted to be and it was way longer than needed. So much filler that wasn't needed for the story. And not just the opera references. I liked the plot, just not the execution of it so much. But I still gave 3 stars, like you.

Jgrace | 3065 comments Be careful who you call Nicole #1, Jennifer. There could be some disagreement about that.

Marnie (marniegoodrich) | 108 comments This book did not help my reading slump at all. It wasn't bad, but I did not feel like reading and drudging through most of it. I was excited to read it and then blah when I got going. I found the editing lacking as well, some of what was said was like, huh? Felt out of place and disconnected.

Jennifer Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments Jgrace wrote: "Be careful who you call Nicole #1, Jennifer. There could be some disagreement about that."

Lol! I ONLY meant in the context of this thread! I won't rank Nicoles, especially if one is a moderator! :)

Nicole D. | 1496 comments I'm older and by virtue of that, am Nicole #1. haha. Kidding.