World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > Romance Writers Association: Authorearning.com presentation July 2016

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (last edited Jul 17, 2016 04:23PM) (new)

Alex (asato) Hot off the presses (just published on 15 July):

http://authorearnings.com/2016-rwa-pa...

Woo hoo!

This is the stats take from the same 1 million books survey, but targeted at romance.

Interestingly:
"But what about those 'invisible' authors earning $100,000+ per year…?

The ones we keep anecdotally hearing about (and hearing from), who don’t show up on any Amazon category best seller lists?

Well, we found them. They were hiding in plain sight, in our million-title May data set.

Turns out there were 43 of them lurking unseen in the dark spaces between Amazon’s bestseller lists, including one author invisibly earning more than $250,000 a year. Unsurprisingly, 30 of the 43 invisible six-figure earners — including the top earner — were self-published indie authors. Most were writing in the Romance Fiction genres, but there was also an indie author of editor’s-choice Cozy Mystery Fiction, and even more surprising, a traditional-award-winning indie writer of Literary Fiction. We happen to think that’s pretty cool."
Romance writers: You rock!

message 2: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) *blinks**again**slowly smiles*

Thank you, Mr Alex!

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Indie literary fiction award winner? Who? Who?

message 4: by Segilola (new)

Segilola Salami (segilolasalami) | 405 comments wow . . . quite enlightening

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) I... I... I gotta hurry up and publish my book before I get left in the dust!! Thank you Alex G for posting this.

message 6: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 1022 comments Can't wait to see your book, Sue :)

These statistics are great! Can't wait to see y'all lurking up there in the shadows of success :).

message 7: by Nik (last edited Jul 17, 2016 11:45PM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 15672 comments I've always suspected that being romantic pays off -:)

message 8: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) @Mr Nik: This tomboy ain't romantic but... shhhh ...don't tell the readers, ya? ^_~

message 9: by Tim (new)

Tim Rees | 732 comments I will confess to having looked into writing for Mills & Boon many years ago - early nineties. I remember reading the strict criteria I had to follow and I actually started writing, but my characters misbehaved! Went completely off the strictly laid down rules for Mills & Boon plot structure... Actually my last novel was a very untypical love story titled WTF... :D