Read (or Reread) Harry Potter discussion

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
The Sorcerer's Stone > Sorcerer's Stone: End of Book Discussion

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brianna (last edited Jul 30, 2016 08:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brianna (bebecburt) | 550 comments Mod
Discuss the entire book here. No spoiler tags are necessary since it is assumed everyone has completed it. We found some discussion questions. Feel free to answer all of them or only a few!

01. Why do you think the magic community allowed Harry to live with Muggles for so long? Why not take him in themselves?

02. Now that you know a little bit more about the different houses, do you like the house you were sorted in? Would you want to be in a different house? Why?

03. It is claimed that Harry would never have managed to overcome the obstacles without Ron and Hermione’s help. Do you agree?

04. Harry and his classmates spend a lot of time in the library and they use quill pens & scrolls to do their homework. Every form of technology is completely absent. Would you give all your electronic gadgets & appliances up for a chance to attend Hogwarts?

05. If given the chance to visit Hogwarts for a day, which lesson would you like to attend? Why? Is it because of the person who teaches it or because of the subject matter?

06. “I remember every wand I've ever sold, Mr. Potter. Every single wand. It so happens that the phoenix whose tail feather is in your wand, gave another feather--just one other. It is very curious indeed that you should be destined for this wand when its brother--why, its brother gave you that scar...Curious indeed how these things happen. The wand chooses the wizard, remember..." - Mr. Ollivander
Why do you think Harry was chosen by this particular wand? Why do you think Rowling chooses to emphasize the curious affinity between Harry and his great enemy, Voldemort?

07. The author has a lot of fun with names. Did you notice the Mirror of Erised spells “Desire” backwards? Did you notice any other names that might give you an idea ahead of time about characters or objects?

08. The Harry Potter series is the most popular children's book series ever written. Why do you think adults and kids both like it?

09. Share what YOU would see if Dumbledore let you look in the Mirror of Erised and give reasons why.

10. Who is your favorite character? The one you have completely identified with? What about least favorite?

message 2: by LENA (last edited Sep 27, 2016 04:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

LENA TRAK | 202 comments Mod
01. Why do you think the magic community allowed Harry to live with Muggles for so long? Why not take him in themselves?
I am not sure why.And to be honest I disagree. They probably thought (Dumbledore thought) that he would be safer and happier if he grew up with muggles away from the horrors of his past. It is also implied (if I am not mistaken) that he wouldn't have been able to handle his fame, which is quite true. But I don't really see why it is easier for him to handle it now. Things would have been far easier for him if he had grown up with Hagrid than the Dursleys.

02. Now that you know a little bit more about the different houses, do you like the house you were sorted in? Would you want to be in a different house? Why?

I love Gryffindor...I still think it's the best. Slytherin fascinates me. I would have liked to be sorted in Slytherin. I am sure not all students are like Draco and had I been a Slytherin student I would have tried to bring some change and prove that there are some great wizards among them.

03. It is claimed that Harry would never have managed to overcome the obstacles without Ron and Hermione’s help. Do you agree?

Definitely. Harry wouldn't have gotten far without Hermione's brilliance or Ron's bravery. They did most of the job. This is one of the reasons I love the series. Take Ron for example. A good boy, not particularly talented, a bit clumsy, completely immature and silly but when it comes to his friends he will sacrifice himself to help them. So who needs unicorn blood or the philosopher's stone when you have friends like these?

04. Harry and his classmates spend a lot of time in the library and they use quill pens & scrolls to do their homework. Every form of technology is completely absent. Would you give all your electronic gadgets & appliances up for a chance to attend Hogwarts?

I would give up every single one of these things and probably a few more.

05. If given the chance to visit Hogwarts for a day, which lesson would you like to attend? Why? Is it because of the person who teaches it or because of the subject matter?

Definitely flying lessons. The reason? Flying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

06. “I remember every wand I've ever sold, Mr. Potter. Every single wand. It so happens that the phoenix whose tail feather is in your wand, gave another feather--just one other. It is very curious indeed that you should be destined for this wand when its brother--why, its brother gave you that scar...Curious indeed how these things happen. The wand chooses the wizard, remember..." - Mr. Ollivander
Why do you think Harry was chosen by this particular wand? Why do you think Rowling chooses to emphasize the curious affinity between Harry and his great enemy, Voldemort?

"...its brother gave you that scar" I think the reason is pretty obvious here. The spell produced by Voldemort's wand was supposed to kill Harry. It didn't and now their fates are connected. Given that wands are magical and they choose their wizards, I suppose the moment Harry touched his wand, it knew who he was and who had given him the scar.
I guess this is Rowling's way of telling us it's not over between Voldemort and Harry and there will certainly be a battle between these 2 wands,

07. The author has a lot of fun with names. Did you notice the Mirror of Erised spells “Desire” backwards? Did you notice any other names that might give you an idea ahead of time about characters or objects?

To be honest I hadn't noticed that Erised spells Desire backwards till I saw this question. I also never paid attention to the names apart from one: Severus Snape. His first name made me think of how severe his character was and how cold and strict he could sometimes be. Also his last name reminds me of the word snake. I remember the first time I had watched the film I kept saying: "Snape is a snake". Then I noticed that House Slytherin's banner is a snake so I thought this couldn't be a coincidence. I'm not sure this is exactly what Rowling had in mind when she gave him this name though...

08. The Harry Potter series is the most popular children's book series ever written. Why do you think adults and kids both like it?

It is obvious why kids love it. Magic, wizards, dragons, flying broomsticks. What is amazing is why adults love it. Well being 30-year-old adult I can tell you that this is probably the only book-series that made me forget I was reading fantasy. There is a strange realism in these pages that makes you forget you are reading about fictional characters and places that couldn't have ever possibly existed. I remember feeling miserable when the series was over. I felt empty and I didn't touch another book for about 4 months. Reading it made me feel like a child, I could picture every single thing I was reading about. I could even see myself walk around Hogwarts, standing next to harry during the sorting ceremony. Not many books can do this to you. I don't know exactly what it is but it must be magic! ;)

09. Share what YOU would see if Dumbledore let you look in the Mirror of Erised and give reasons why.

Difficult question. I don't know. Too many things I guess. I would probably see two people whom I miss a lot, I would see myslef travelling, I would look much thinner and taller(LOL)... Aaaah
I have no idea. This is probably one of the reasons why this mirror scares the hell out of me..

10. Who is your favorite character? The one you have completely identified with? What about least favorite?

Least favourite: Vernon Dursley
Favourite??????I can't choose just one. I love Hagrid, Hermione, Neville, the Weasley twins, McGonnagal...The one I have completely identified with is Harry of course. I'm pretty sure my doorbell will ring any minute now and Hagrid will give me a lift to Hogwarts where my true destiny awaits for me...

message 3: by Ria (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ria (ban1chka) | 118 comments Ah, did you know that (and I'm not tagging this as a spoiler, because as far as I know it's additional, off-the-books information) when Voldemort was in power, he deleted all records of wizards from muggle families who were born between 1990 and 1998? Well, guess who's born in 1998... After all these years I finally know why I didn't get my Hogwarts letter. I didn't read along this month, but I'll probably still answer some of the questions when I have the time... I love answering questions :D

LENA TRAK | 202 comments Mod
Hahahhahahaaaaa!!!! You're so funny Ria. Yeah no worries.. I fell behind with my reading as well. I can't wait to read your answers!

message 5: by Ria (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ria (ban1chka) | 118 comments LENA wrote: "Hahahhahahaaaaa!!!! You're so funny Ria. Yeah no worries.. I fell behind with my reading as well. I can't wait to read your answers!"

Haha, thank you, I am happy to entertain :D

Right, so I just showered and now have to wait for my hair to dry so I can go to bed, so I guess that means it's question time lol

Well, I've always figured they didn't want him to get too proud and narcissistic. I can't imagine Harry ever being narcissistic, though. I don't know if it's because of the way he was brought up, thinking he's completely insignificant, or because that's just who he is. Maybe it's a combination of both. McGonagall did question Dumbledore's decision to leave him with the Dursley's. Though I do wonder. You say "the magic community" in the question, but I think it was fairly obvious when Harry went to Hogwarts for the first time that the majority of people had no idea what he'd been through. So what did they think happened to him? I doubt there was anything about his life with the muggles in the Daily Prophet. Didn't anyone wonder why he'd just fallen off the face of the Earth? Or were they told some kind of story about where he was? I've never thought about that before.

I've always taken pride in being smart, so I kind of figured I'd go to Ravenclaw. The quiz on Pottermore sorted me into Gryffindor twice, which was a huge disappointment, because, come on, let's face it - Gryffindor and Hufflepuff are the most boring houses. I'd love to be sorted into Slytherin because they've always fascinated me. They're mostly portrayed as the "evil" ones and I know there's more to them than that. I'd like to know what it's like to be one of them, but to be honest, I don't think I belong there.

Oh, yes, absolutely. I think that was the whole point of the book. I love how Rowling portrayed Hermione in the later books. She's not the main character, so all the things she does are kind of in the background, but you can still feel her greatness and how much everyone respects her.

Oh, hell yeah! Who needs technology when you have magic? I'll miss my piano, though. (view spoiler) And I'd love to try butterbeer, though I think it would taste disgusting.

Potions for the subject itself and Transfiguration for both the subject and Professor McGonagall (she's kind of my idol). Though Snape isn't half that bad. Oh, and Defense Against the Dark Arts would be cool. (view spoiler)

I shall not answer for spoiler reasons. (Yeah, 'cause none of my previous answers contain spoilers.)

Yeah, I noticed that the first time I read this book in English (which was maybe half a year or so ago). Draco sounds kind of sleazy. And so does Severus Snape (I also noticed the similarity to "snake" too, Lena.). Haven't really thought about it, though. By the time I was old enough to look for these things while reading, I'd already finished all (or at least most of) the books.

I think most people have just grown up with it and simply can't not keep loving it as they grow older. The vastness of the universe, the complexity of the plot and the characters, all of whom grow as the story develops... I think the best part is that it starts off as a book for children, but as the books progress, the characters grow and so do the readers. I think you're supposed to read these books for the first time while you are approximately Harry, Hermione and Ron's age. I think that's how Rowling meant for it to be. And that's the beauty of it - it's not just a story about a bunch of kids, it's a story about a bunch of kids who grow up. And this idea of magic and wonder, that Rowling portrays so beautifully and so realistically, touches something fundamental in all of us. Because we've all thought about what it would be like if magic existed. That's the part of our imagination that Rowling speaks to, and no matter how old you are when reading, if you've read this as a child, you will always remember what you felt back then.

I'm not sure, really. I think I'll see myself with a boyfriend, but not the "omg, let's make out 24/7" kind of boyfriend, more like... a partner, a friend. And I think my best friend will be there we'll still be best friends. And I'd probably have made an important scientific discovery and would've finished the book I'm trying to write and would actually be happy with how it turned out. I guess... I just don't want to be alone and I want to leave my mark on the world. I don't want to be completely forgotten.

Most favourite would be McGonagall and Hermione. Also Fred and George. I've always loved them. Hermione is also the one I identify most with. Least favourite would have to be Dolores Umbridge. I'm trying to think of anyone else, but no one comes to mind right now. Lucius Malfoy annoys me a lot. (view spoiler)