What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA paranormal romance, early 2000s? Set in England, girl who had just finished her A-levels and went with her mother for the summer to live at an estate the mother had a long ago connection with. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2 comments Hi, I'm looking for help identifying the title of a YA book I read around 2001-2003, a paranormal romance set in England with a dark cover (black and green, maybe?). It was about a girl who had just finished her A-levels and went with her mother for the summer to live at an estate the mother had a long ago connection with. The mother was taking care of the master of the estate, I believe. The girl is very uptight, never wears jeans or her hair down. She goes to another town to pick up supplies for her mother in Salisbury but misses the bus back. She meets a mysterious guy who has a motorcycle and takes her home (eventually). They become more entangled and the mother is very against the relationship. Shenanigans ensue and the paranormal part of the story kicks in. The pair has to do something with magical stones and water under the estate and there's a cat too.

Unfortunately that is all I can remember about the plot, but it's really been bugging me that I can't remember the title or author, so any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

message 2: by Holly (last edited Jul 17, 2016 07:06PM) (new)

Holly (hollylovesbooks) | 761 comments I think that's The China Garden https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8...

ETA: The China Garden

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2 comments Yes! That's exactly it - thank you, Holly!!

message 4: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollylovesbooks) | 761 comments You're welcome! I read that a year or so ago. It's interesting how different it is from modern YA.