The Sword and Laser discussion

The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)
This topic is about The Time Traders
2016 Reads > TTT: Love that old SciFi Smell

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Steve (plinth) | 179 comments In 1986 I took a year off from college and worked at Bell Communications Research. I didn't have much money, but I had a lot of free time. At the end of one corridor in my building was a small lounge with a bookcase full of pulp SF. I think I read them all, many of which were by Keith Laumer.
Reading Time Traders brought me back to that. And since Laumer wrote many books with time travel as a plot element, I felt like I had read this before.
Is this a good novel? Depends on your point of view. From mine, no. It is, however, a decent adventure story. When you take it from that point of view it feels more like something by Robert Louis Stevenson.
Yes, it has a Perils of Pauline aspect to it, and I'm ok with that.
Although the ebook didn't have that aging pulp novel smell or look. Maybe Amazon could put that in as a feature.

message 2: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Thumbs up for Perils of Pauline reference. #GeezerGeeks

message 3: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6390 comments This post has a vintage smell.

Fresno Bob | 591 comments I'm not done yet, but this book reminded me a lot of the Heinlein juveniles that I read in the 70s

message 5: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4213 comments Fresno Bob wrote: "I'm not done yet, but this book reminded me a lot of the Heinlein juveniles that I read in the 70s"

Have you read Alexei Panshin's "Rite of Passage"? Heinlein ripped into Panshin for that one because he felt it infringed on his own juvenile book style. I just knew that I liked it. (Found out about the dustup between them waaaaay later.) It won the Hugo too.

Fresno Bob | 591 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Fresno Bob wrote: "I'm not done yet, but this book reminded me a lot of the Heinlein juveniles that I read in the 70s"

Have you read Alexei Panshin's "Rite of Passage"? Heinlein ripped into Panshi..."

I haven't, let me guess, kids get left on a planet and have to fend for themselves, but only the male characters have speaking roles?

message 7: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4213 comments ^Close! But the main character is a girl. Perhaps Panshin was making a point. If he was it was lost on eight year old me, I just thought it was a good story. Anyhoo, they are shipbound but have to survive a month on a planet to be considered adults. That's the "Rite of Passage."

There's also some stuff about bullying that seems pretty close to the mark.

message 8: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Knighton | 158 comments This is one of the things I love about second-hand book stores. You can often find a whole corner of the room that has that lovely smell, and rows of paperbacks with fading pulp covers and yellowing pages.

message 9: by Serendi (new)

Serendi | 848 comments Panshin wrote Heinlein in Dimension and as I heard it wrote Rite of Passage as an homage to Heinlein. Both were originally published in 1968, per Wikipedia. Looking at the reviews, it might also be part critique. I remember being bothered by how young adulthood was in the book.