Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

The Blind Assassin
This topic is about The Blind Assassin
Book Issues > Multiple Covers/Editions for One ISBN

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Myra Breckinridge (myrabreckinridge) | 55 comments I have a 2014 edition of Margaret Atwood's The Blind Assassin, ISBN: 978-0-7710-0891-7. That ISBN, however, links to Emblem's 2011 edition with a different cover and page count. The 2014 edition isn't in the database.

What is the best way to proceed? Should I be entering this new book and just leaving out the ISBN? (To try and add with the # brings up errors.) Something else?

Ultimately, I am not as concerned about the page/date discrepancies as I am having the right cover, which is the same as the ebooks Emblem released: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

Any help much appreciated!

message 2: by Codex (new)

Codex | 3400 comments Since the ISBN is already associated with different cover, an alternate cover edition (ACE) would need to be created for the edition you have.

Interestingly, Amazon shows the cover you’re seeking for (your) ISBN 9780771008917—but still published by Emblem, and in 2011.

I couldn’t find an English edition published in 2014. . . .

If you could provide full publishing information and a cover scan for the edition you have, we can create the ACE.

Myra Breckinridge (myrabreckinridge) | 55 comments Hey Codex,

I took a photo of the publishing information and put it in my "more photos."
Emblem, 2014, 978-0-7710-0891-7
635 pages (with acknowledgements)
Paperback
(cover noted above)

Thanks!

message 4: by Codex (new)

Codex | 3400 comments Myra, thanks for your trouble.

Looking at the image of the copyright page, though, I see that the ISBN is in fact different, with two digits swapped around:
978-0-7710-0891-7 [ISBN we’ve been working with]
978-0-7710-0981-7 [ISBN from the copyright page]

I couln’t find any reference to the ISBN as printed on the copyright page, although WorldCat does have two entries for the “alternate” ISBN (978-0-7710-0891-7):
http://www.worldcat.org/title/blind-a...
http://www.worldcat.org/title/blind-a...

So this creates a bit of a dilemma. . . .

➤ Can a librarian with more authority please assess this (within the context of the original request) and indicate how it should be handled?

Myra Breckinridge (myrabreckinridge) | 55 comments Codex wrote: "Myra, thanks for your trouble.

Looking at the image of the copyright page, though, I see that the ISBN is in fact different, with two digits swapped around:
978-0-7710-0891-7 [ISBN we’ve been work..."

Huh.. This is super weird. I used the ISBN on the back and never thought to double-check it to the page I photographed. So, the 2014 edition also has conflicting ISBNs - 0891 on the back cover, and 0981 inside.

message 6: by Codex (new)

Codex | 3400 comments [Bump]
➤ Can a librarian with more authority please assess #4 (within the context of the original request) and indicate how it should be handled?

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael Korleone (michaelkorleone) | 3881 comments [not that I have more authority]

Penguin lists 9780771008917 with the cover of Myra's edition but published Sept 6, 2011 by Emblem. This ISBN is already on Goodreads with the same pub. details but with a different cover. I'm inclined to believe that Emblem reissued the edition with a different cover (that Penguin as well as Amazon list now and which matches Myra's copy) but same ISBN 9780771008917. If it were me, I'd create an ACE for 9780771008917 with pub. date as 2014.

It is possible that the copyright page inside the book has a typo because 9780771009817 is not a valid ISBN. It's listed correctly on the back cover and it also matches the ISBN which Emblem own for their 2011 edition.

IMHO.

message 8: by Codex (new)

Codex | 3400 comments Michael wrote: "[not that I have more authority]

Penguin lists 9780771008917 with the cover of Myra's edition but published Sept 6, 2011 by Emblem. This ISBN is already on Goodreads with the same pub. details but..."

Thanks for the input; will follow your suggestion (ACE).

message 9: by Codex (new)

Codex | 3400 comments #8: Alternate cover edition created: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... .

message 10: by Myra (new) - rated it 5 stars

Myra Breckinridge (myrabreckinridge) | 55 comments You are a gem! Thanks, Codex! And Michael!