Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Fun and Games > THE HARRY POTTER SPELLS TAG!

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (last edited Jul 18, 2016 07:38PM) (new)

Elizabeth | -15 comments found this on YouTube and thought it would be fun to do:
THE HARRY POTTER SPELLS TAG!
The Questions:

1. Expecto Patronum: A childhood book connected to good memories

2. Expelliarmus: A book that took you by surprise

3. Prior Incantato: The last book you read.

4. Alohamora: A book that introduced you to a genre you had not considered before.

5. Riddikulus: A funny book you've read.

6. Sonorus: A book you think everybody should know about.

7. Obliviate: A book or spoiler you would like to forget having read.

8. Imperio: A book you had to read for school.

9. Crucio: A book that was painful to read.

10. Avada Kedavra: A book that could kill (interpret as you will).

:1. Expecto Patronum: A childhood book connected to good memories:20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and other Classic Novels by Jules Verne

2. Expelliarmus: A book that took you by surprise:All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda

3. Prior Incantato: The last book you read;Inheritance by Christopher Paolini

4. Alohamora: A book that introduced you to a genre you had not considered before.Unaccounted by Michael McDonald-Low( non-fiction books that have to do with Vietnam War,World War 1 and World War 2)

5. Riddikulus: A funny book you've read.Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic by Meghan Ciana Doidge

6. Sonorus: A book you think everybody should know about:81 Days Below Zero: The Incredible Survival Story of a World War II Pilot in Alaska's Frozen Wilderness by Brian Murphy

7. Obliviate: A book or spoiler you would like to forget having read.My Girl by Jack Jordan

8. Imperio: A book you had to read for school.A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare

9. Crucio: A book that was painful to read.:Secrets of Men in a Lifeboat by Todd R. Baker

10. Avada Kedavra: A book that could kill (interpret as you will).The Hatching by Ezekiel Boone( it had me checking my room after I read it)

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2807 comments 1. Expecto Patronum: A childhood book connected to good memories
Harry Potter is the obvious answer, but I'll try not to use it for these questions. Instead, I'll go with The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

Definitely Goodnight Tweetheart. I expected it to be a very mediocre, typical story but it ended up being surprisingly strong.

The Deep End of the Ocean

4. Alohamora: A book that introduced you to a genre you had not considered before.
Anya's Ghost. It wasn't the first graphic novel that I read, but it was the first one that really made me realize how good they could be.

Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging

Odd Duck. This may be a bit of a strange choice, but it's an amazing children's book that I think has a very important message.

Sickened: The Memoir of a Munchausen by Proxy Childhood. I was really looking forward to this because I find Munchausen by Proxy so interesting, but I didn't enjoy the book at all. The MBP only took up a very small part of the book, and the rest of the story didn't appeal to me at all.

There were many, but the best one was The Kite Runner.

In the Skin of a Lion, which I was also forced to read for school. I really, really hated this book. The non-linear style threw me off completely, and I didn't like any of the characters.

We Need to Talk About Kevin. I interpreted this as a book that could kill in terms of a book that was very scary/shocking.

message 3: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 780 comments Book tags and Harry Potter combined?! It's like my dream!

I could definitely put Harry Potter for this answer too but I won't. Instead I'll go with: A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories.

The Girl with All the Gifts

Thirteen Reasons Why

Carrie - I avoided horror for a long time because I'd been such a wuss in my childhood/early teens that I was convinced I'd never enjoy the genre. I read this book and not only did it become one of my favourite books but it pushed me to explore more horror and it is now my favourite genre!

The Ladybird Book of Dating

The Color Purple

Bridget Jones's Diary. I hated that book so much. One of the few times where I think the movie is actually better than the book.

Of Mice and Men and I loved it!

Fangirl. I hated the main character and it made it hard for me to get through the book.

A Clash of Kings. That book is massive! If you hit someone on the head with a hardback copy, it would probably kill them. ;)

message 4: by ✨ jami ✨ (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 25 comments YES I love this tag

I'm going to choose The Capture by Kathryn Lasky. I loved this series so much when I was a kid !!

For this I'm going to choose Hate is Such a Strong Word by Sarah Ayoub. I just picked it up randomly and then ended up loving it sooo much

The King's Men by Nora Sakavic

Gone by Michael Grant. It made me consider apocalypse and science fiction when I never really had before and now I love that genre

Carry On I found Carry On by Rainbow Rowell to be so funny, because it literally was just so camp and I lovee that

The Foxhole Court by Nora Sakavic. The whole series is sooo good! Diverse characters, complex characters, with a great plot and a fictional game to rival quidditch I wish it was more popular

The Young World it was so awful it still makes me shudder with how problematic it was

Cloudstreet I read this for year 11 literature and I loved it so much.

Heart of Darkness GOD for such a short book it took fooreverrr

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows It seems like alot of characters went into this book and never made it out again ...

message 5: by Indigo (last edited Aug 06, 2016 01:32AM) (new)

Indigo (indigo_denovan) 1. Expecto Patronum: A childhood book connected to good memories.
Weslandia by Paul Fleischman. Always inspired me and comforted me as a dreamer who was marching to a different drum than most other people my age. I still have the children's book today!

2. Expelliarmus: A book that took you by surprise.
Sherlock by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I picked up the original series after falling in love with the movie adaptation of Sherlock Holmes (2009) and was super surprised how much I liked the original book. I tore through every last bit Sir Doyle wrote about Sherlock, and then was Mr. Knowledgeable when the BBC version Sherlock aired and proceeded to inform my parents (whom watched it with me) all the little factoids and details about the original series that was then changed and adapted to fit the modern-day version of Sherlock. The BBC tv show Sherlock is still my greatest love and obsession of late. <3

Summer Dragon by Todd Lockwood. Still working my way through it, it's thick, but it's good! I always love dragons in my books.

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. Looking back, it was rather badly written with problematic tropes abounding, but it introduced me to the Supernatural genre. Before that point, I lumped the Supernatural in the same category as Horror and Gore. It helped me to realize that no, vampires could be romantic leads too. My little romantic heart fell for that hard.

Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson. A hilarious book about someone who deals with mental illness, depression, and anxiety writing down some of the zaniest thoughts and conversations they've ever had with other people. It left me in stitches during many parts (the footnote about eating feet... laminating a cat! XD) Read it to enjoy the delicious hilarity and, at the ending parts, to be moved by the touching and heartfelt reassurances and words of support for others "out of step with reality" in similar or different ways as she is.

Dinotopia by James Gurney. He both wrote AND illustrated (by hand with plein air painting) the book about a peaceful utopia born of dinosaurs that survived the extinction and became old, long-lived, and wise and took in shipwrecked humans and built a calm, inclusive society based fundamentally on a slower pace of life that honors charity and kind words, kind deeds to others above all else.

He is a former illustrator for the National Geographic, depicted reconstructions of ancient civilizations based on the archeology left behind, as well as had a passion for dinosaurs and worked on dinosaur recreations too. In his Dinotopia series, that all shows to amazing effect, for all that it is billed as a children's book and has a simpler plot and characters than some other books.

It's worth hours of pouring over every last beautifully done illustration that captured so much of his heart and passion into it, and deeply inspired me to become the artist and writer that I am today, with the focused attention to detail that I so prize and cherish. It is still my deepest wish to be as good an artist as him one day. I highly recommend for you to check the books out!

Candide by Voltaire. If the story itself didn't weird and squick me out by what it discussed and what happened to the main character (let's not even get into how horrifyingly graphic and problematic it was), the illustrations that came with my copy of the book (which I think is the one I linked to) deeply scarred me for everlasting life. I thoroughly decided that my worst hell after death would be sitting in a room, forced to stare at those horrific, grotesque images, and never be able to close my eyes. Yes, it was indeed that traumatizing for me. And still is.... *twitch*

Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George. I had to read it for school but I ended up liking it a lot. It was a hard tie between this and The Giver but I went with what I would still be entertained by reading even today, with all the good descriptions of survival out in the tundra and of wolf behavior and the like.

Steadfast by Mercedes Lackey. Since I've already listed Candide, and I am not sure if I want to include Bloodlines considering I like Richelle Mead's other series, Vampire Academy, a lot... Well, hell I like Mercedes Lackey's other books like the Dragon Jousters series (first one is Joust which I HIGHLY recommend~) but the author really failed on the Steadfast book. It was a DNF for me when I raged so hard at what was done in the climax that I did something I never do - I wrote on some of the pages the trigger warnings it direly needed and warned everybody I knew away from that book, wrote a very hurt and passionate review about it, and tossed the book away.

10. Avada Kedavra: A book that could kill (interpret as you will). Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling. Not only did a lot of characters die like Jamieson said above, the book itself can be used as a very effective murder weapon. It's so gosh-darn big and HEAVY! Good for cracking a few skulls. As it is, the book makes a very handy literal doorstopper, LOL!

message 6: by Zaz (last edited Sep 07, 2016 01:29AM) (new)

Zaz | 2983 comments 1. Expecto Patronum: A childhood book connected to good memories
I'll choose two that I re-read many times: Le Messager d'Athènes and Ronia, the Robber's Daughter

Cinder, a lot better than I expected and I love the characters.

The Categorical Universe of Candice Phee, a great children book :)

The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender, I think it's my 1st true magical realism book.

The Categorical Universe of Candice Phee had some funny moments.

Hollow World

All the Bright Places, major spoil on GR so I know something important that takes place in the book.

Les Fourberies de Scapin (and a lot of Molière's plays of course)

The Magicians, torture.

The Stand

message 7: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3472 comments 1. Expecto Patronum: A childhood book connected to good memories.
The Witches by Roald Dahl. It's the first book that I remember being a favourite.

2. Expelliarmus: A book that took you by surprise.
The Color Purple. I really didn't have high expectations, and I absolutely adored it.

The last book that I finished was The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides. I loved it.

Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh was the first graphic novel that I've read (even though it's only partially a graphic novel). Though I'm still not a huge fan of them, I'm reading more now.

I did find Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir by Jenny Lawson pretty funny. Also everything by Terry Pratchett.

My friends can look away now, they can probably guess. The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly. Such a beautifully heartbreaking little book.

The Alchemist. No competition, not even from Lolita.

The Great Gatsby was the only one that I had to read that I really didn't like. Planning on a re-read soon though to see if my opinion has changed in the last 25 years.

Definitely Lolita. I hated it. Disgusting.

Charlotte's Web ... breaks my heart into a million pieces every time.