What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Dystopian novel about a world where, instead of nation states, people are members of guilds that run parallel governments

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by StattenR (new)

StattenR | 4 comments I was doing some research for a dystopian Sci-Fi project, and I came across the synopsis of a book that piqued my interest, but I lost the title.

If I remember rightly, it was set in a future world where there were no borders or countries, but people were grouped into different classes or guilds that ran parallel government structures with different laws and rights etc. Membership of these groups had replaced nations as the main way of sorting and organising people.

I think it was fairly contemporary, I am pretty sure it was published after 1980 and I would imagine it was published after 1990.

Since I didn't read it, only read about it, that is all I can recall. I don't remember what the story was actually about, just the world that was set up. Sorry if that isn't enough information or I have misremembered. Thanks in advance for your help.

Gnome Claire *Wishes she was as cool as Gnome Ann* | 14 comments Divergent is a dystopian world, I don't think there's a main government, they're grouped by one character trait and live separately with different behaviours expected from he different groups. Sorry it was a while ago that I read it so I might not have the details right but the different groups thing rung a bell with Divergent.

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2103 comments Could you be thinking of Snowcrash Snow Crash or Jennifer Government Jennifer Government?

message 4: by StattenR (new)

StattenR | 4 comments Hi there, thank you both for your help. It wasn't divergent and I am pretty sure it wasn't YA.

Snow Crash and Jennifer Government both seem like they are similar and I will be reading them soon, they sound great, but not the one either. I think the level of dystopia wasn't so obvious. It was one of those worlds where things seem to be working at first, but when you peel back the layers things are more destructive than they first appear.

message 5: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Nordin | 2 comments Is the book your thinking about by chance one of these books?
The Selection
Matched
Awaken
Hungry

I have read a ton or Science fiction dystopian books. So if any of these books aren't the book that you were think of I can give you a lot more titles.

Hope this helps

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36067 comments Mod
The Selection, Matched, Awaken, Hungry - suggested by Alexis

message 7: by StattenR (new)

StattenR | 4 comments Thanks for your help. It wasn't any of those. It was more like Jennifer Government than anything else suggested. It's main point seemed to be about putting forward a view about society and commenting on it. It was quite rigorous and philosophical. The social structure was in the foreground like Brave New World rather than in the background like Hunger Games. Hope that helps. Really appreciate all of you for taking the time to answer my query. Many thanks.

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4 comments It could always be The Giver by Lois Lowry, but I don't think so. There's just a slight chance it's this book and I'd like to help.

message 9: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2103 comments Here's a list Goodreads has of "Books like Jennifer Government" https://www.goodreads.com/book/simila... - maybe that would help.

message 10: by Kris (new)

The Giver by Lois Lowry - mentioned by Laura

message 11: by Julia (new)

Julia | 47 comments The House Immortal series by Devon Monk has houses organized by resources that run in paralell

message 12: by Kris (last edited Jul 19, 2016 09:56AM) (new)

House Immortal series by Devon Monk suggested by Julia - https://www.goodreads.com/series/1257...

message 13: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2103 comments Another list of possibles (click on "literature" folder) http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php...

message 15: by StattenR (new)

StattenR | 4 comments Hi everyone

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have checked every named book and looked through both the tv tropes and the goodreads lists that were mentioned and I still can't find it. I think I must be misremembering what it was like, because I would have thought that it would be in the list of books similar to Jennifer Government that Andy kindly pointed me towards.

I really appreciate all of your time! Perhaps one day it will come back to me!

message 16: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2103 comments StattenR wrote: "Hi everyone

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have checked every named book and looked through both the tv tropes and the goodreads lists that were mentioned and I still can't find it.."

Drop us an update if you remember any other details...

message 17: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40226 comments Mod
StattenR, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 18: by Ingo (new)

Ingo (ilembcke) | 631 comments This was not bumped for nearly 3 years.
Please, if not found, bump regularly, this might be something for my TBR pile. A regular bump could be every 30 days or every 90 days (but also, please not more often unless new information is added).

message 19: by Sue (new)

Sue Blaikie | 133 comments There’s a setup like this in Ada Palmer’s Too Like the Lightning.
Too Like the Lightning (Terra Ignota, #1) by Ada Palmer
That’s what I thought when I read the post the other day, but I didn’t post a rely as it seemed like the OP had abandoned the search. However if other people are interested, it’s worth a try. It’s a great series anyway.

message 20: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2103 comments Sue: Good point - "Too Like the Lightning" could be the book being sought.

message 21: by Artemis (new)

Artemis | 18 comments Hah, I immediately thought Too Like the Lightning as well - which, if it was found via 2016 SF reviews/discussion lists, seems pretty likely

message 22: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2103 comments There's also Infomocracy by Malka Older (Infomocracy

message 23: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21038 comments Still looking for this one?