Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Available for Beta Reading

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grace (new)

Grace Li (gracedli) Starting next week, I'll be in Italy for a month and I'm looking to do some reading while there! My interests lean toward YA/NA/literary fiction/narrative nonfiction, but I'm a sucker for well-told stories no matter what genre. In terms of beta reading, I like to read for the big picture rather than edit/give aggressively frequent scene-by-scene commentary (which I do to my wonderful CPs, all of whom are in this group -- so if you're looking at this, hello!) but if something pops out to me, I'll mention it. Feel free to drop me a line below!

message 2: by Rayrach (new)

Rayrach | 6 comments Grace wrote: "Starting next week, I'll be in Italy for a month and I'm looking to do some reading while there! My interests lean toward YA/NA/literary fiction/narrative nonfiction, but I'm a sucker for well-told..."

I'm working on called Till The Very Last Strike. I'm also a newbie writer. It's fantasy/YA.

It revolves around two groups, the Vrriasetan and the Guaos fighting over a piece of land. There's many different species of humanoid creatures in it such as nereids, elves, dwarves, and even a cat/human hybrid species. The only profanity in it is characters cussing in made up languages, and the only sexual content is characters kissing.

I tend to use Google Docs. It's also a pretty rough draft, especially when it comes to grammar.

I'd like it if I could have your opinions on each chapter individually. So far chapters have been 4-15 pages long. I don't really care how it takes you to give your critique, but I'd be nice if I could know immediately when you finish a chapter. I'll also have specific questions for you.

If this interests you I'd be willing to talk through emails (RachB2345@gmail.com) or through Skype (RayrachTheTalko).

message 3: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Lowe | 51 comments I'm writing a Paranormal fantasy with mystery, Greek mythology, and slight romantic elements. The protagonist is a nymph who is trying to discover whose killing the animals in her woods and attempting to blame the new in town shifter pack.

If your interested you can send me a e-mail at taylowe82@gmail.com

message 4: by Anouchka (new)

Anouchka (xanouchka) | 3 comments (This is a very good person and she gives great critique. Doubt no longer! Sincerely, one of those wonderful CP's)

message 5: by Grace (last edited Jul 16, 2016 01:48PM) (new)

Grace Li (gracedli) Anouchka wrote: "(This is a very good person and she gives great critique. Doubt no longer! Sincerely, one of those wonderful CP's)"

<3 you.

message 6: by Grace (new)

Grace Li (gracedli) Rayrach and Taylor -- I'll email you!

message 7: by Annette (new)

Annette Abernathy | 158 comments Grace,

I've written a historical "romance" here's the blurb:

Born to a wealthy planter, Sophia Anne Bransford should have enjoyed her privileged life as his only child except her mother’s status as a slave determined her low position in Savannah society. Her second cousin Ethan James Bransford would have been forced into the grueling life of a slave like his mother, but his skin was white, and Sophia’s father adopted him as his legitimate heir. Sophia and Ethan grew up on her father’s plantation as best friends and siblings despite the obvious color difference and the coming societal separation that was as sure as cotton was king. With adulthood came secondary feelings that forced Ethan to choose between his desire for Sophia and his loyalties to his surrogate culture. In trying to appease everyone, he set in motion a story that spans the height of the antebellum south, the degradation caused by the Civil War, and the long-reaching effects of the Jim Crow period. From rural Chattanooga, Tennessee to the infamous French Quarter in New Orleans to Regal Savannah, Georgia, this saga whisks the reader back into the complex era of nineteenth century American class and racial structures with an even more sinuous love story at the forefront.

My email address is

Molly.seay@gmail.com

message 8: by Grace (new)

Grace Li (gracedli) Sent an email!

message 9: by Niki (new)

Niki | 3 comments I have a novel that I need an overview of. It is fantasy with a little light romance. My protagonist, Alexia Harper, is in her twenties, so this isn't exactly YA. It's 102,716 words.
Here is a blurb about it (which needs work, but one step at a time):

Alexia didn’t realize she died that night in her car accident. She should have, but someone took the memories of her death and past lives. With her friends, she revisits her past. As the memories return, Alexia realizes the Essence Blaine has been chasing her through her past lives, and she knows why he is after her. He wants to destroy her. Not just to end her human life-if she simply dies, she can be reborn, but if her Essence is destroyed, she is destroyed. Blaine wants to destroy anyone he views as more powerful than himself. Blaine wants to rule the Essences, but he has to be the most powerful and the most feared to forge his crown.
Alexia isn’t the only one that could stop Blaine, but she’s the only one willing to. If she doesn’t destroy Blaine, he will destroy Alexia.

My email address is Niki.baumann@gmail.com

message 10: by Grace (new)

Grace Li (gracedli) Got it!

message 11: by Rayrach (new)

Rayrach | 6 comments Niki wrote: "I have a novel that I need an overview of. It is fantasy with a little light romance. My protagonist, Alexia Harper, is in her twenties, so this isn't exactly YA. It's 102,716 words.
Here is a blu..."

If you don't mind, I'm also willing to be a beta for that story, if you'd be willing to be a beta on my own story, Till The Very Last Strike. I put some information on it on this thread just up a ways. It's more then fine if this sort of deal wouldn't work for you.

But if it does, my email's RachB2345@gmail.com

message 12: by Maddie (new)

Maddie | 5 comments Hi - Would you mind reading my manuscript?

It is a fantasy novel (kind of aimed at late teens and up but I think an adult would enjoy it) called 'The Necromancer's Friend'. It is set in a different world where there are seven kinds of witches: Necromancers, Potionsmasters, Metalworkers, Seers, Artists, Elementals and Animalwalkers. The main character, Kajan, is a Necromancer. However, to be a Necromancer is illegal so she must live in hiding.

In this world there are also people called Shadows, who aren't witches but have a much greater amount of magical power and because of this their existence has also been made illegal. At the beginning, Kajan's one and only friend is a Shadow, and they live in hiding together but that friend is murdered on Midwinter's Eve. The story follows Kajan as she sets out to discover how to raise the dead so that she can bring her only friend back to life.

There's no sex or profanity but it does get a bit violent and gory.

If you're interested my email is mclarke7@outlook.com.

Thank you!

message 13: by Grace (new)

Grace Li (gracedli) Sure, I'll email you.

message 14: by Segilola (new)

Segilola Salami (segilolasalami) | 43 comments Hi Grace

I normally write children's books but I am venturing into the world of adult fiction under the pen name Elizabeth Salawu

I have just finished the first draft of a new novella but I am not sure the best way to categorise it. If I were to try, I would say it is paranormal romance with a dash of erotica.

The story is about Dayo who was called an abiku, an evil spirit sent to the world to lure men to their doom.

Dayo is bi-racial with a German mom and a Nigerian dad. She has a semi bougie lifestyle, always jetting across the pond between Africa and Europe.

She starts dating her father's driver in secret after seducing him.

On her return from her cousin's birthday in Manchester, she tries hard drugs for the first time. She finds herself in an alternate realm and thinks she's hallucinating from the hard drug use. She doesn't take anything that happens in that other realm seriously as she thinks she's having a vivid dream. That is until she couldn't wake up from getting married to a 'man' she met in that realm.

I am in need of feedback on the overall plot and the characters at the moment.

My email is iyayetunde1 @ gmail . com

Many thanks

message 15: by Mary (new)

Mary | 7 comments Dear Grace,

Hi :)

I'm looking for a beta reader to just give me a general "this book is (insert adjective) and I would / would not buy it" feedback. Heavy editing wouldn't be expected.

My novel is a fantasy/ romance. It does have sexual content and dragons if either of those is a deal breaker. (Not together lol the sex is all human.)

Not sure how much you want to know going in but basically hero travels to a foreign land to see/acquire a dragon and is able to get one only by marrying the heroine. Then things happen.

If you are interested let me know. You can message me on goodreads or email me at aliterateleahy@gmail.com. You can see a sample of my writing from my NaNoWriMo book here if you want to check that out before you say yes. https://aliterateleahy.wordpress.com/...

message 16: by Grace (new)

Grace Li (gracedli) Segilola and Mary Kate, emailing.

(Also LOL thanks for the clarification on the dragons.)

message 17: by Arthur (new)

Arthur  (yellowfoliage) | 3 comments I'm looking for a beta reader for my short story. It's a romance story, around 2800 words. Looking for input on plot, characters, and overall story quality. Does this sound like something you'd be interested in?

message 18: by B (new)

B P Baggett (bpbaggett) | 107 comments Hello everyone,
I am looking for help(beta) with my novels. Both of my books are being written and I was seeking help in finding issues. It is a High fantasy book. Lots of history and lore built into the world. Within the world of Aeolyne there are satyrs, Minotaur, orcs, elves humans dwarves, trolls, demons and dragons.
The story follows several characters that lead up to the main story. then you meet one of the main character, a half-elf who is a son of a dead king. he struggles with what he wants in life. Then there is a human assassin who was ripped from his mother and remaining family to become a warrior for a brutal regime.
I am looking for a person(s) who will be dedicated to the project and have detailed reviews of each chapter. If anyone is interested please pm me. Thank you all.

message 19: by Grace (new)

Grace Li (gracedli) Arthur: Sure, you can email me at gracedantingli@gmail.com. Just a heads up, though, I won't be starting any of my beta reading until next week.

BP: I'd be happy to beta read one of your novels, but at this point I have quite a few things to read so if you're looking for detailed, chapter-by-chapter critique I'm not sure how much of that I can give you -- I'd really be reading for the bigger plot/character/etc. kind of things.

Jake: Of course, you can email me and I'll take a look!

message 20: by B (new)

B P Baggett (bpbaggett) | 107 comments I wouldn't mind that.

message 21: by Grace (new)

Grace Li (gracedli) Okay, sounds good! Feel free to email me.

message 22: by Sean (new)

Sean | 8 comments My book is about a bisexual (female leaning) vampire whose world has been thrown into chaos by her vampire father, a woman, plotting humans, and other forces of chaos...it's about 90% done....

message 23: by Grace (new)

Grace Li (gracedli) Sure, you can email it over to me! Preferably .epub (since I'm traveling!) but Word docs work too.

message 24: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Welker (juliamae) Hello,
I have a story on fictionpress that's in progress. If I sent you a word doc would you like to try it?

Here the description: Laurie was pressured to be a boy at the age of 12 by her stepmother who fears that the law will discover the girl's gender and give their fortune to the next male heir as according to Laurie's grandfather's will. Laurie, now 17, wants to pursue her future and applies to an all girls school. Her stepmother sends her to an all boys school instead to stem suspicion.

Here's a link (are links okay?) if you want to glance at it: https://www.fictionpress.com/story/st...

message 25: by Grace (new)

Grace Li (gracedli) Hey, the link doesn't seem to be working! It sounds interesting though, do you think you could let me know how far in progress it is?

message 26: by Kenneth (last edited Jul 24, 2016 10:59AM) (new)

Kenneth | 53 comments Grace wrote: "Starting next week, I'll be in Italy for a month and I'm looking to do some reading while there! My interests lean toward YA/NA/literary fiction/narrative nonfiction, but I'm a sucker for well-told..."

I'm looking for someone to read over my 43,000 vampire novella. If you're interestedin helping me out, please email me at Asmadeus11@yahoo.com.

message 27: by Jessie (new)

Jessie (jessiehooker479) I'm working on a young adult paranormal novel. I was wondering if I could get your opinion on my first chapter. Please email me if interested. My email is jessica.hooker479@sccdsb.net

message 28: by Grace (new)

Grace Li (gracedli) Emailed both of you!

message 29: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Welker (juliamae) Grace wrote: "Hey, the link doesn't seem to be working! It sounds interesting though, do you think you could let me know how far in progress it is?"

I am into chapter 8. Sorry about the link this one should work!
https://www.fictionpress.com/s/328775...

message 30: by Grace (new)

Grace Li (gracedli) Hey Jules, I'd prefer to read complete novels, but feel free to let me know when you finish and I'd be happy to give it a go!

message 31: by Lara (new)

Lara (gurlwhowrites) | 14 comments Hey Grace :) I'm in the early stages of writing my latest project, and I should have the complete draft done shortly (next week or two). It is a rough copy, so I was wondering if you could give general comments about characters, plot, pacing, etc, for when I start to rework it.

It's a YA conceptual sci/fi.

Here's the prologue to give you the background of the story:

(view spoiler)

Here's my email if you're interested in looking at it once I'm done!
whatleys@xplornet.com

message 32: by Sean (new)

Sean | 8 comments Grace....really could use your email address...I don't believe that I have it.

message 33: by Grace (new)

Grace Li (gracedli) Lara and Sean, you can email me at gracedantingli@gmail.com.

message 34: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Welker (juliamae) Grace Thanks I'll email you once I have it complete then! :)

message 35: by Esther (new)

Esther (estherthreetimes) Grace wrote: "Starting next week, I'll be in Italy for a month and I'm looking to do some reading while there! My interests lean toward YA/NA/literary fiction/narrative nonfiction, but I'm a sucker for well-told..."

Hi Grace,

I have a 75K YA Fantasy Fiction novel that needs some love. It is about the seventeen year old Crowned Princess of the kingdom of Gorath. She goes missing, and wakes up in a garden without her memroies. She meets a dragon whose mission it is to help her regain her memories and defeat the Wicca who took them.

If you are interested I would be very pleased to hear from you! You can send me an email at contact@thelifeofeshter.com, or obviously on this thread :)

Thank you!
-Esther

message 36: by Grace (new)

Grace Li (gracedli) Hi Esther,

Sounds good! Feel free to email me at gracedantingli@gmail.com.

message 37: by Esther (new)

Esther (estherthreetimes) Thanks for replying! I've sent you an email:)

message 38: by Ton (new)

Ton Paliin (tonpaliin) | 5 comments Greetings grace.
It's quite amazing how you want to give some of your time, and surely a lot of us writers quickly jumped in to hope for a chance for you to read our book. Anyways, this is my post in the Beta Reader area. I have a link of my PDF file. I would like to email you on your given address, but it is not a message for me, so I guess, if given chance, I'd contact you there too.

Greetings,
After writing Dignity or Curse, for five years, a Non-Fiction book about how to avoid children from experiencing sexual abuse. I only now learned about the Beta Readers, yes I'm that late. And someone from facebook, told me that I should realize, that 250,000+ words of book is too much for Beta Readers to read. Yes I do realize that, and ahm, I only need the Beta Readers to read my Pilot Chapters. By their initial thought, I can already realize the potential of the remaining chapters.

Those who would like to read, can download the PDF, as I still don't know how to upload book here in Good Reads, but I'll figure it out.

And thanks in Advance to those who will give interest in reading my manuscript. I'm quite not good in pleasing words to please people, but deep in my heart, it means a lot to me. Thanks, you can contact me here actually. Hope to gain more friends.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ttkdlp5gdjw...

message 39: by William (new)

William Walters | 111 comments Hi, I need Beta Reader to review first 6 chapters of a Family Saga/ Historical Fiction