The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Star Wars: Rebels (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 182 (182 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6912 comments Mod
I thought this had it's own thread, but maybe it's only come up in other threads (like the episode 7 thread).

I'd say maybe mark major spoilers in tags. They premiered the new trailer for season 3 and it looks fantastic. I'm really excited they are bringing Thrawn back. I guess it's a change because he's already a Grand Admiral and this is set BEFORE episode 4 rather than after episode 6, but it looks like his personality (and the whole artwork thing) are still in tact.

At least I think that's a change. I thought he was a lower rank during the time of the original trilogy, but my memory isn't the greatest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmXp8...

message 2: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments That does look great. Looks like Rebels continues its run as the best Star Wars thing since Star Wars.

It was a good idea to bring Thrawn back. I never got into the EU stuff so I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I'm well aware his story is prized above all others by SW EU fans. Throwing them a bone is a smart move.

Plus, it really seems like the people making Rebels are hardcore SW fans.

message 3: by Trike (last edited Jul 16, 2016 06:00PM) (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Also, it's cool that we're seeing character growth and change. You don't often get that with animated shows. Simply cutting Ezra's hair is usually as big a deal as these things get, but blinding Freddie Kanan is a significant alteration to that character.

message 4: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofskytrain) | 1377 comments This series just gets better. Already I have listed two episodes from last season as Hugos for best drama short.

message 5: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1628 comments I'm very torn. That trailer was awesome, and shows very much why this series is so darn good. It tackles issues and depth better then just about any Star Wars labeled story of any medium out there. And the trailer did it's job, it got me supper amped for the upcoming season. But did they have to share that many apparent story elements.

I had seen earlier a couple minutes of the scene with Ezra and crew helping Hondo escape, and that felt like the right amount of reveal. It showed the growing Ezra, it had a darker shift to it, but it didn't show too much. And no, nobody forced me to watch either, but when Disney/Star Wars have done a pretty good job in the past of not revealing to much, I really didn't expect that.

I don't know it just seemed too much, sorta like whole post's being labeled spoilers instead of using the spoiler tags within them like we used to do. I guess I'm just as kermugendly as Trike and Dave, just on different things. ;-)

message 6: by Darren (new)

Darren John (Nevets) wrote: "I'm very torn. That trailer was awesome, and shows very much why this series is so darn good. It tackles issues and depth better then just about any Star Wars labeled story of any medium out there...."

The answer is, yes. Despite complaints to the contrary, people want spoilers. It's why you yourself watched a trailer for something you claim not to have wanted spoiled.

message 7: by Rob, Roberator (new)

The reason I did it that way is because people use the mobile app, and using spoiler tags isnt possible when posting I believe. I generally use tags, but then I use chrome/the full site even on my phone and tablet. I think the app is awful for anything but book updates.

Also, people probably shouldn't wander into this thread if they aren't caught up. It's just too hard to moderate.

message 8: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1628 comments Just watched S3-E16. Man, that is why this show is so good. What they were able to do in the animation was amazing. I mean that was more cinematic then most live action films. I think that was the best use of a snow planet or a Mandalorian in the Star Wars universe since ESB.

And the story was so on point and tight. Hardly a wasted moment in the whole show. I know you have to be more economical since you only have 22 minutes to tell your story, but that was absolutely great writing.

message 9: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments That's because of writer Christopher Yost. He and Craig Kyle are masters of doing much with little, as well as taking a franchise's existing lore and pushing it forward.

For example, see the animated film Next Avengers, as well as the brilliant comics backstory of X-23 in X-23: Innocence Lost and X-23: Target X.

message 10: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofskytrain) | 1377 comments Watch Rebel Recon, they good a good job of explaining the whys, hows and whats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPtdp...

message 11: by Kev (new)

Kev (sporadicreviews) | 653 comments Rebels *is* Star Wars for me in the absence of movies. And it's consistently better than any of the novels.

This particular episode, I kept waiting for Sabine to saber the ice under Gar to make him fall in - they hinted at someone falling in with the ice cracking, but it didn't pay off.

Chopper is my favorite character in the show, and my 2nd favorite droid character of all time.

message 12: by Darren (new)

Darren SporadicReviews.com wrote: "Rebels *is* Star Wars for me in the absence of movies. And it's consistently better than any of the novels.

This particular episode, I kept waiting for Sabine to saber the ice under Gar to make h..."

They were playing with the Batman Begins battle between Ra's and Bruce. Instead of the ice breaking under them, the rug was pulled out from under us.

message 13: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Rebels renewed for a fourth season.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/3/1480...

message 14: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1628 comments My first reaction was; Yes!

But after I thought about it for a second it's mixed. I've loved both the story telling and the stories, and want more. But I'd also like to see the creators tell a complete story with a well written ending, and for some reason this extension makes me question if that is possible. I mean as sad as it is to say, Kanan and Ezra really shouldn't be around come New Hope time. The rest I could see filtering into the background of the Star Wars universe, but not those two. And while death can be a challenge to deal with in any show, let alone an all ages program like this, I think these creators are up to the task, if Disney lets them.

Enough of a rant. Now to enjoy what we have, while we have it!

message 15: by Darren (last edited Mar 05, 2017 01:24AM) (new)

Darren John (Nevets) wrote: "My first reaction was; Yes!

But after I thought about it for a second it's mixed... I mean as sad as it is to say, Kanan and Ezra really shouldn't be around come New Hope time.."

And why not? Obi-Wan was still around. Some washed-out Padawan can't be? All that's ever said in A New Hope of the Jedi is that "Their fire has gone out of the galaxy", and that was Tarkin, speaking in error, at the same time Obi-Wan and Luke were coming for him, with another Skywalker still in a holding cell.

message 16: by Kev (new)

Kev (sporadicreviews) | 653 comments True. But by Empire, Luke is out as a Jedi-wannabe, you'd think someone in the Rebel High Command would have said "Hey, we know this Jedi and his student from Lothall, and Anakin's padawan pretty much helped start the Rebellion - we don't know if she's dead or what, you might try to find her." /devilsadvocate

I have a feeling Dave Filoni has a complete story planned for Rebels.

I actually agree that Kanan and Ezra need to go out of the story somehow. I can see the rest of the cast sticking around the edges of the stories as we now them. Especially Chopper.

message 17: by Darren (new)

Darren SporadicReviews.com wrote: "True. But by Empire, Luke is out as a Jedi-wannabe, you'd think someone in the Rebel High Command would have said "Hey, we know this Jedi and his student from Lothall, and Anakin's padawan pretty m..."

You mean Jedi. That's the only time Luke Leia and Han were in the room with Mon Mothma. And where in any of those scenes, either on Hoth or after, is the number of Jedi/Force sensitives discussed? Never, because they've got other stuff to discuss.

The only time that is touched on is in Empire, where Yoda says "No. There is another." Which I know everyone has taken to mean Leia, but that makes no sense. Obi-Wan knew damn well that Luke had a twin sister. He gave her away to Bail Organa, after all. So it could be retconned to refer to Bridger.

Or it could be someone else entirely. A new parallel saga waiting to be written. We don't know.

message 18: by Trike (last edited Mar 08, 2017 08:59AM) (new)

Trike | 8768 comments That would be interesting if Ezra were the one Yoda was referring to.

I don't think that anyone making the films (including Lucas) had decided that Leia was Luke's sister until RotJ, so it probably was up in the air at that point. That's the only good thing about flying by the seat of your pants when you make stories up as you go along: ideas that occur later can hook into such vague statements without disrupting continuity.

The downside of having Ezra be the other is that by the time we get to the new films he's a very old man. Hamill is 65, so Ezra would be in his 80s. Still doable as a wise old sage, but he becomes more of a nod to fans than anything else.

message 19: by Rob, Roberator (new)

According to the wiki Ezra and Luke are the same age:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/19_BBY...

message 20: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1628 comments Leia sure looked a few years older then Ezra when she was on the show. I would have put her at 4 or 5 years older. But hey, who the heck knows.

message 21: by Trike (last edited Mar 08, 2017 11:34AM) (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Wait, so Luke and Liea are the exact same age as the Empire?

Admittedly I only saw the prequels once, but I thought the Empire came into being in the second film, before Amidala and Anakin got busy, which would be at least 9 months before the kids were born. Weird.

I assumed Ezra was already around before that, making him early teens when the twins were born. Clearly I wasn't paying very close attention to the timeline.

message 22: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Yeah. I had no idea until your post made me want to figure out the differences in their ages.

message 23: by Darren (last edited Mar 09, 2017 01:47AM) (new)

Darren The Empire came about in the third film, not the second. It was formed after the Emperor (then still Senator Palpatine) went public with his "injuries" spuriously claimed to have been received at the hands of the Jedi (Windu) but really from his own Dark Side use. And really he wasn't finished consolidating power until A New Hope, when Tarkin (I believe) informs us that 'The Emperor has disbanded the Senate."

message 24: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1671 comments I just finished binging all seasons. Oh my gosh, did not realize it is THAT good. It made me want to try rewatching The Clone Wars (stopped after two episodes I think). And now I can watch Rogue One and try to seek for the Easter Eggs.

Did you guys watch the last episode? Seriously I wished THAT fight lasted longer but it is still a great episode.

message 25: by Darren (last edited Mar 21, 2017 06:47AM) (new)

Darren Silvana wrote: "I just finished binging all seasons. Oh my gosh, did not realize it is THAT good. It made me want to try rewatching The Clone Wars (stopped after two episodes I think). And now I can watch Rogue On..."

Yeah, you should give the Clone Wars another go. It's a lot of fun.

message 26: by Darren (last edited Mar 21, 2017 06:57AM) (new)

Darren John (Nevets) wrote: "Leia sure looked a few years older then Ezra when she was on the show. I would have put her at 4 or 5 years older. But hey, who the heck knows."

Girls mature faster than boys? FTR, Leia also looked more mature than Luke in A New Hope, and

a) that's her twin brother
b) Mark Hamill was born before Carrie Fisher

message 27: by Stephen (last edited Mar 21, 2017 08:41AM) (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofskytrain) | 1377 comments I agree, the Clone Wars picked up about mid-season of the first and then got stronger with each season. Do not forget to pick up A New Dawn plus the graphic novels Kanan - The Last Padawan andKanan - First Blood if you want the full experience.
Plus there is Rebel Recon on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eIZs...
Why so short a fight? The creators give their answer.

message 28: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 885 comments Silvana wrote: "Seriously I wished THAT fight lasted longer but it is still a great episode."

I think it was the perfect way to end that relationship. Considering where each character was at that point in time. Dave Filoni explains in this episode of Rebels Recon.
And I binged my way through Clone Wars, when I thought it was going to be taken off of Netflix. Now I know there is a chronological ordering to watch the series in. Time for a re-watch. And I can read the Ahsoka novel.

message 29: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1671 comments Louie wrote: "Silvana wrote: "Seriously I wished THAT fight lasted longer but it is still a great episode."

I think it was the perfect way to end that relationship. Considering where each character was at that ..."

Chronological ordering, wow, Thanks for the link. On the Ahsoka novel, should I read that after I finish all Clone Wars episodes?

Anyway, I watched five episodes already and groaned loudly when Anakin met Padme - I guess the prequels still bore scars.

Darren wrote: "John (Nevets) wrote: "Leia sure looked a few years older then Ezra when she was on the show. I would have put her at 4 or 5 years older. But hey, who the heck knows."

Girls mature faster than boys..."

And I somehow got the feeling Luke in Rebels looked younger than Ezra - maybe it's just the shot or my eyes were deceiving me.

Which got me thinking where Ezra and Kanan were in Rogue One/A New Hope.

Darren wrote: "Silvana wrote: "I just finished binging all seasons. Oh my gosh, did not realize it is THAT good. It made me want to try rewatching The Clone Wars (stopped after two episodes I think). And now I ca..."

Am watching first season now. Enjoying the clones more now that I know Rex. Though the clankers are still annoying.

Stephen wrote: "Watch Rebel Recon, they good a good job of explaining the whys, hows and whats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPtdp..."

thank you! I am subscribing to that channel now.

message 30: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 885 comments Silvana wrote: "On the Ahsoka novel, should I read that after I finish all Clone Wars episodes?"

I asked Tom how much prior knowledge one needed going into Ahsoka, and he said, none. There was just a few things you might miss if you haven't seen Clone Wars or Rebels. So, completionist that I am, I immediately started watching Clone Wars.

message 31: by Rob, Roberator (last edited Mar 22, 2017 01:35AM) (new)

If you don't want to be spoiled for clone wars, wait to read Ashoka until after. Then again, if you've seen the first few seasons of rebels, it may not matter that much.

message 32: by Stephen (last edited Mar 22, 2017 06:08AM) (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofskytrain) | 1377 comments You were not the only person who groaned loudly, but Nips will grow on you.

message 33: by Rob, Roberator (new)

I didn't like Ahsoka much at the start, but now she's my favorite thing to come out of the prequel crap.

message 34: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1628 comments Well, they sure as heck know how to score a show. Man that theme at the ending of this last episode will get me every time.

I also agree it looked like that kid running in the background was younger, but that might have just been cartoon physics at work.

message 35: by Stephen (last edited Mar 22, 2017 06:35PM) (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofskytrain) | 1377 comments Maul was the only good thing in Vol. I, II, III. Bringing Maul back was a brilliant move by the Clone Wars team, plus one of the creepiest episode that gave me nightmares.

message 36: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments John (Nevets) wrote: "Well, they sure as heck know how to score a show. Man that theme at the ending of this last episode will get me every time."

In the first or second season our intrepid crew goes to a desert planet where some characters from the Clones Wars are "enjoying" their retirement. They essentially hunt sandworms.

During their fishing trip the composer takes the best theme from Jaws, "Two Barrel Chase", and gives it a Star Wars spin. He modifies John Williams with John Williams. It's perfectly meta.

message 37: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 885 comments Stephen wrote: "one of the creepiest episode that gave me nightmares."

(view spoiler)

message 38: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofskytrain) | 1377 comments I am a big fan, but $1000 dollars, I bet for $500 I can get that done to me in Russia.

message 39: by Darren (new)

Darren Stephen wrote: "I am a big fan, but $1000 dollars, I bet for $500 I can get that done to me in Russia."

If I read that right, you're paying out two to one on that bet?

message 40: by Stephen (last edited Mar 22, 2017 06:38PM) (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofskytrain) | 1377 comments No, just saying that is one expensive collectors Item! Plus I think that was what Andi Gutierrez covered up at the end of Rebel Recon: Twin Suns,

message 41: by Louie (last edited Mar 22, 2017 07:58PM) (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 885 comments Stephen wrote: "Plus I think that was what Andi Gutierrez covered up at the end of Rebel Recon: Twin Suns,"

It is. That is where I first saw it. - And it was a limited edition figure, from Japan. Hence the hefty price tag.

message 42: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Season 4 will be Star Wars: Rebels last. Looks like they're going out with a bang.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live...

message 43: by Rob, Roberator (last edited Apr 15, 2017 11:46AM) (new)

I'm glad they aren't going to drag it out..it's getting close to the original movie

message 44: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1671 comments Only 15 episodes, sad but if it's going to be a tight season with epic episodes, so be it.

I feel a Rogue One ending coming except for several obviously-alive characters.

A question for the novel readers, is the Thrawn character in Rebels the same as all the books Timothy Zahn written about him or are there some not Disney canon?

message 45: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3656 comments Mod
It is the same character, but the only Timothy Zahn book featuring Thrawn that is officially canon, since 2014, is the one that came out this week.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wa...

message 46: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1671 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "It is the same character, but the only Timothy Zahn book featuring Thrawn that is officially canon, since 2014, is the one that came out this week.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wa..."

Thank you. This official canon thing is a bit confusing.

message 47: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1671 comments Stephen wrote: "You were not the only person who groaned loudly, but Nips will grow on you."

I've been binging TCW for the last couple of weeks - now in season 4 - and you're right, she's awesome with capital A. Love her cockiness.

Also, watching TCW in chronological sequence is also making it more enjoyable so thank you to Louie for the link.

I noticed that this series is much more action-oriented than Rebels and the animation is also different.

message 48: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1628 comments I'm also watching TCW for the first time, but at a much slower pace then you. I remember the art style really throwing me off when it first came out, and not thinking too much of the first couple episodes. And even this time I had made it through the first half of season 1 about 6 months ago, and while I enjoyed it more, was still not really into it. Then someone around here mentioned that it got better after that, so over the last week or two I started watching an episode now and again, and they were right. The writing is starting to get much better. Things aren't aren't as clear cut, the messages are a bit more nuanced, the story lines aren't as obvious, it's much closer to Rebels level. Glad I gave it another go.

message 49: by Stephen (last edited Apr 17, 2017 11:08AM) (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofskytrain) | 1377 comments Plus the crew has a new set of mini series set to come out this summer. Backstories of Rey, Hera, Asoka and Sabine. This is the panel that explains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv0vz...
Plus Dave finally has his space Wolves in Season four!

message 50: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 268 comments Silvana wrote: "I noticed that this series is much more action-oriented than Rebels and the animation is also different."

The animation improves incrementally over the course of Clone Wars and then makes a big improvement at the start of Rebels with more incremental improvements as it progresses. That's normal for CGI because of technology improvements (and budgets can increase with popularity).

« previous 1 3 4