Save Our Cozies Readathon discussion

General Information > Author Visit: Jeff Cohen AKA EJ Copperman

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) Jeff Cohen AKA EJ Copperman, who has written Written Off (Mysterious Detective #1) by E.J. Copperman as well as The Question of the Missing Head by E.J. Copperman and the Haunted Guest House series which includes: Night of the Living Deed (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #1) by E.J. Copperman will be coming to visit us here at 3:00, so think of some questions you might want to ask him!

message 2: by Randa (new)

Randa I've read two off Jeff Cohen's work and enjoyed them both: Night of the Living Deed (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #1) by E.J. Copperman and The Question of the Unfamiliar Husband (An Asperger's Mystery, #2) by E.J. Copperman . I won't be here for the discussion (at class) but look forward to seeing what others have to say.

Truthfully I forgot about the haunted guest house series and now plan on going back to it.

Sheryl Booth of Booth Talks Books | 8 comments Which do you prefer? Haunted or non-haunted settings? Who is your favorite character you have written about so far?

message 4: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Blogs (brookeblogs) Do you write on a strict schedule or whenever inspiration strikes?

message 5: by Terri (new)

Terri Crossley | 35 comments Have you always wanted to write? What inspires you for your characters ?

message 6: by Juli (new)

Juli (juliwy) I'm terrible at thinking up good questions....so just stopping by to say I enjoy your books! :)

message 7: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Cohen (jeffreycohen) | 13 comments Sheryl wrote: "Which do you prefer? Haunted or non-haunted settings? Who is your favorite character you have written about so far?"
I don't really prefer one over the other, Sheryl. I write the story that comes to mind and fits the characters. And I don't really have a favorite character, although I will admit I wish more readers had taken to Elliot Freed, because he was fun to write. I like them all, though!

message 8: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Cohen (jeffreycohen) | 13 comments Brooke wrote: "Do you write on a strict schedule or whenever inspiration strikes?"

Hi, Brooke. I write 1000 words a day. I write pretty much every day because I have four series going now so I'm just about always on deadline! About 2/3 of the way into Asperger's mystery #4 right now! Thanks for asking!

message 9: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Cohen (jeffreycohen) | 13 comments Juli wrote: "I'm terrible at thinking up good questions....so just stopping by to say I enjoy your books! :)"

Thank you, Juli! I'm glad you're enjoying them!

message 10: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa White (phantasmmarquesses) | 15 comments Jeff I was wondering if you were ever going to work on your other series that you have the first one I think is about a movie theater? I have the first book it's just on the other side of the room and I don't want to go see what the title is LOL you're a fantastic writer and I am happy that I've gotten to know you throughout the years. Where do you find your inspiration for what you write?

message 11: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Cohen (jeffreycohen) | 13 comments Terri wrote: "Have you always wanted to write? What inspires you for your characters ?"

Hi, Terri. I honestly don't know how to do anything else useful. I've been writing in one for or another since college. I've been a newspaper reporter, a public relations writer (very briefly) and a trade magazine editor before going freelance more than 30 years ago! What inspires characters? You have to think up people YOU find interesting or it's going to be an awful slog getting through an 80,000 word book!

message 12: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Cohen (jeffreycohen) | 13 comments Alyssa wrote: "Jeff I was wondering if you were ever going to work on your other series that you have the first one I think is about a movie theater? I have the first book it's just on the other side of the room ..."

Hi, Alyssa! That was the Double Feature series with Elliot Freed that I referred to above. No plans for a new book in that series, but be on the lookout for news about Elliot on my website soon!

I find inspiration in the fact that when I write stuff, they pay me. Story ideas are trickier but they generally come from character.

message 13: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa White (phantasmmarquesses) | 15 comments see I would think it would be hard to have somebody tell me what they want to series about and then coming up with the ideas to write about that. Maybe I should try it period

message 14: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Blogs (brookeblogs) Jeff wrote: "Brooke wrote: "Do you write on a strict schedule or whenever inspiration strikes?"

Hi, Brooke. I write 1000 words a day. I write pretty much every day because I have four series going now so I'm j..."

Thanks, Jeff! So neat to hear how an author works.

message 15: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Cohen (jeffreycohen) | 13 comments Alyssa wrote: "see I would think it would be hard to have somebody tell me what they want to series about and then coming up with the ideas to write about that. Maybe I should try it period"

I haven't run into that situation. No editor has ever told me to write a particular type of book. I've heard that it happens and that publishers assign series to writers, but I've never done it.

message 16: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 30 comments Jeff,
Your book Written off looks interesting and before joining the Save Our Cozies group, I had not heard of you.
Are your other series haunted series? I noticed you have one that the character has Asperger's Syndrome.

message 17: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Cohen (jeffreycohen) | 13 comments Kathleen wrote: "Jeff,
Your book Written off looks interesting and before joining the Save Our Cozies group, I had not heard of you.
Are your other series haunted series? I noticed you have one that the character h..."

Hi, Kathleen!

There is one series that takes place in a haunted guesthouse (brilliantly entitled the Haunted Guesthouse series), where the ghosts are not so much scary as inconvenient. But the Asperger's series is written in the voice of Samuel Hoenig, who has what is now called autism spectrum disorder (Thanks, APA!) and answers questions for a living. Written Off starts the Mysterious Detective mysteries and early next year we'll have yet another series on the way, so I've been busy and I'm very happy about that! Thanks for asking!

message 18: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 30 comments Thanks,

I"ll be adding your series to my TBR. Keep on writing!

message 19: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Cohen (jeffreycohen) | 13 comments Kathleen wrote: "Thanks,

I"ll be adding your series to my TBR. Keep on writing!"

I will! Thank you!

message 20: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Cohen (jeffreycohen) | 13 comments Ronnie wrote: "I know some authors have a 'fantasy casting' of their characters in their books. Do you have any particular actors/actresses in mind when writing for the Aspergers Mysteries?"

I honestly don't. I think it would make an excellent series of TV movies and I think any intelligent actor would be thrilled to play the role, but I don't actually cast it in my head. It would probably change the way I write the character, and on Book #4, it's way too late for that. Besides, if you expect Cary Grant you'll get Seth Rogen.

message 21: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Cohen (jeffreycohen) | 13 comments Ronnie wrote: "Jeff wrote: "Ronnie wrote: "I know some authors have a 'fantasy casting' of their characters in their books. Do you have any particular actors/actresses in mind when writing for the Aspergers Myste..."

That, and no presumptions. I never expect anyone to read the books, let alone cast them! I have self-esteem issues.

message 22: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle David | 1 comments You have strong female characters. Who, or what, is your inspiration?

message 23: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Cohen (jeffreycohen) | 13 comments Gabrielle wrote: "You have strong female characters. Who, or what, is your inspiration?"

You try to write strong characters whenever you write characters. Half the people I know are women. I'm married to one and raised another. They're interesting people and they help me write interesting people, I hope.

message 24: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Cohen (jeffreycohen) | 13 comments Ronnie wrote: "You have four active series at the moment. Are some of your series more innate are easier to write/come up with ideas for? If so which ones?"

Not really, Ronnie. Each one has its easy and difficult aspects. Writing is not easy no matter what, but it's always the characters who interest me more than the plot. Getting everything to make sense and still not be obvious and predictable is the hard part for me.

message 25: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Riley | 23 comments These sound good. Putting these on my TBR pile

message 26: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Cohen (jeffreycohen) | 13 comments Ronnie wrote: "Thank you for stopping by!"

Thanks for asking questions!