Play Book Tag discussion

July 2016: Biography Memoir > The Imposter's Daughter - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by anarresa (new)

anarresa | 287 comments The Imposter’s Daughter
By Laurie Sandell
3 stars

Growing up Sandell was in thrall to her larger-than-life father. He was full of dramatic stories, grand gestures, intense emotions and strange quirks that eventually became noticeably out of control. This memoir chronicles that early life, Laurie’s investigation into his claims, the fallout of exposing family secrets and the emotional impact all that drama had on her life. It was a remarkable story and very engaging. Often the graphic format enriches the basic story but this time I didn’t find it helpful, though it didn’t hurt the story either. In this (trade paperback) edition the author mentions how drawing allowed her to more freely tell such a personal story publicly.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6671 comments Why does every single memoir sound fascinating to me? I have a problem clearly. I think I could just read this genre all year long.

Was the dad mentally ill, or just some kind of narcissist type?

message 3: by anarresa (new)

anarresa | 287 comments Anita wrote: "Why does every single memoir sound fascinating to me? I have a problem clearly. I think I could just read this genre all year long.

Was the dad mentally ill, or just some kind of narcissist type?"

Not entirely clear, he certainly wasn't going to go for therapy and the author focused on her issues.