Books2Movies Club discussion

The Invisible Man
This topic is about The Invisible Man
Quick Reads > The Invisible Man

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zeljka (new)

Zeljka (ztook) | 2972 comments Mod
H.G. Wells's The Invisible Man is a psychological horror story about a scientist gone mad after an experiment that turned him invisible. The novella had many adaptations, but surprisingly, none is recent (as in the last twenty years). It is rumoured Johnny Depp is to star one slated for 2018, but who knows what may happen till then. It is supposed to be a reboot of, of course, James Whale's The Invisible Man (1933) with Claude Rains in the main role. The other adaptations I am aware of are not so straightforward adaptations but rather homages, Hollow Man (2000) and a TV show, Invisible Man (2000). I heard a BBC TV series The Invisible Man (1984) was a good one, maybe we should try to find and watch it, it is a BBC production after all.
I hope we'll enjoy this one! It is surely not called a classic without reason :) Unless you favour books in print, you can check in your online bookstores an e-book for free. Here are some links of mine:
Project Gutenberg - for online reading and download
Paradox Café - for online reading
LibriVox - audiobooks

Summer (paradisecity) | 19 comments I'd never read this before, and it was quite interesting. i like the idea of anonymity increased the Invisible Man's propensity toward violence and aggression. That's very fitting, based on social science research. And I thought the end was quite fitting as well.

Alana (alanasbooks) | 730 comments I liked the concept, the fading into madness once one's perception of one's own body, as well as others no longer seeing you. However, the execution lacked for me. I found it extremely tedious and a dull, lengthy (for such a short book!) plot. I don't know why it dragged so much... maybe Scott Brick's narration just wasn't a good fit for this one. It was "meh" at best for me.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Invisible Man (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

H.G. Wells (other topics)