Reading the Detectives discussion

General chat > Holiday mysteries

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 9419 comments Mod
We're into the summer holiday period in the UK and US now, so just wondering what everybody's favourite summer or holiday mysteries are?

And for those in Australia and New Zealand where it's winter, also do you have any favourite winter holiday mysteries?

message 2: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 899 comments Not golden age, but I very much enjoyed a recent entry in the Stephanie Barron series in which Jane Austen is a detective: Jane and the Twelve Days of Christmas. Barron really gets Jane Austen’s cadences—especially her manner of writing in her letters.

message 3: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 317 comments I enjoyed Malice in Wonderland by Nicholas Blake. This is one of his Nigel Strangeways novels which is set in a holiday camp.

message 4: by Judy (new)

I've just realised there is a British Crime Classics collection of short holiday-themed mysteries, Resorting to Murder: Holiday Mysteries - I tend to enjoy their collections as they give tasters of so many interesting authors, so will give that one a try.

message 5: by Judy (new)

Thanks for those suggestions, Abigail and Ruth - they both sound very off the wall and intriguing! I've added them both to my TBR, but will save the Jane one for Christmas. :)

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan | 10525 comments Mod
I LOVE Malice in Wonderland such an interesting novel in terms of the period, as well as the actual mystery.

Not a Creature was Stirring is one of my favourite Christmas mysteries.

In terms of summer mysteries, I quite enjoy one of Christie's more exotic locations, such as Death on the Nile or Evil Under the Sun.