This topic is about High-Rise
Monthly Selections Discussions > September 2016 - 'High Rise' by JG Ballard

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

TwitBookClub | 62 comments Mod
Discussion thread for JG Ballard's 'High Rise'

message 2: by Anastasia, Allons-y! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anastasia (tdallonsy) | 40 comments Mod
First impressions: if you're an animal lover, might want to skip this one.... I mean the first line is "Later, as he sat on the balcony eating the dog..." what the heck am I reading?!

message 3: by Anastasia, Allons-y! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anastasia (tdallonsy) | 40 comments Mod
Ok, so having read this one. I think I beat the record of "what the eff?" comments based on content that's read. The book is a Lord of the Flies scenario but in a high rise building. However, unlike The Lord of the Flies, none of the characters in High-Rise are even remotely likeable.

It's basically all about the 'class wars' in a high rise building, the higher up you live the better off you are in terms of class. Half the book the characters are acting like young teenagers in heat messing around with the elevators, throwing drinks out the window, trashing cars and property and boinking their neighbours wives/husbands. Bizarre, but books & scenarios like this is why we, as a human race can't seem to have nice things. Because we tend to divide into groups and go up against each other massaging our own egos and screwing thing sup instead of co-existing with one another to live in peace.