World, Writing, Wealth discussion

World & Current Events > Turkey - Military Coup Attempt (15 July 2016)

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments omg

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15690 comments By now it's pretty much over. Erdogan stays in power, the coup failed.
Turkey is considered a strong regional power with Erdogan believed to have a firm grip over all of its institutions. Yet, the attempted happened. The background like in some other countries is the tension between secular and religious direction. Erdogan promotes the religious vector, while many in the army side with secular approach.
In Egypt Mubarak was in what was believed an unshakeable control over the country for decades, yet his regime was overthrown by popular protests, suprseded briefly by a religious Muslim Brotherhood, to be removed from power shortly after accession by a much more secular army generals....
Iranian revolution can be another example of religious taking over secular...

Not that I support the coup, but if we already discuss it here, two main reasons, in my opinion, for its failure:
- the conspirators rounded the top military command, but Erdogan and other political leadership remained free and managed to spur counter-reaction, especially - bringing supporters onto the streets
- the coup didn't gain a popular support. People on the streets supported the government and these days (except for ISIS and all those who believe in terror) a rare commander will give a 'Fire' order against the crowd..
The unarmed masses on the streets nowadays have almost unchecked power and in politicians' stead, I'd be really wary not to turn the masses against me -:) But the history shows that even the greatest and most powerful rulers were never able to understand that they'd passed the limit, to self-regulate, to show restrain...
I have the feeling the corporate, global monsters are approaching this limit....

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Two things:
1. Your analysis is fascinating.
2. When do oligarch moderators sleep?

message 5: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15690 comments Tara wrote: "Two things:
1. Your analysis is fascinating.
2. When do oligarch moderators sleep?"

Thanks, Tara -:)
Usually from around 17pm EDT till 23 pm or 00am, which is night in my GMT+3 time zone -:)

message 6: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2277 comments I was trying to find out about this last night, but I got stuck with ABC news because I was too caught up with making dinner to change it to a real channel...They kept saying they were going to talk about it, go to commercial, then revert to their typical useless fluff pieces when they returned from break.

message 7: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 290 comments I think what we're seeing is the second in a series of incidents where leaders have paid for dividing their countries in order to get elected. The first was Brexit. The third might be Trump. Or might it be Venezuela? I am old enough to remember the fall of Allende in Chile - not a good precedent. We're in a time of unwisdom; so-called "leaders" have turned to the politics of division, and the rest of us will pay.

message 8: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11469 comments I think the basic reason the coup failed (and we have to wait for more information) is that only part of the army was behind it, it did not seem to have a focus, and it was too slow. It is important to take the major objectives by surprise, i.e. before everyone even knows there has been coup. But then, it occurs to me, I would say that because I already said it in my "Miranda's Demons". There, my fictional coup worked like a charm.

message 9: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15690 comments Mike wrote: "We're in a time of unwisdom;.."

So it seems. The short era of political romanticism is over, entropy rising, with or without connection with decline in economic prosperity

message 10: by Al (new)

Al Philipson (printersdevil) | 32 comments I heard it was a false flag operation to give the government an excuse to round up and eliminate the opposition (moderates).

If so, it would make a great model for a story or a novel !!!

Look what Nik's done with similar events.

Someone want to go for it??

message 11: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11469 comments It would probably make a good story even if it were not so.

message 12: by Al (new)

Al Philipson (printersdevil) | 32 comments Go for it! I've already written one that's similar. But the event is not the focus, just the motivating force.

message 13: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11469 comments Certainly something to think about after I finish the one I am currently working on. Must take notes.

message 14: by Al (new)

Al Philipson (printersdevil) | 32 comments Have fun with it, Ian.

message 15: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15690 comments Interesting angle on the aftermath & 50 nukes:

http://app.debka.com/n/article/25560/...