Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Review Challenge > Caribbean

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane  | 12972 comments Post books set in the Caribbean islands, Belize, French Guiana, Guyana, and Suriname here.

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments Superleuk, maar voortaan zonder mij or in English A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again: Essays and Arguments takes place on a cruise ship sailing around the Caribbean. Non-fiction and different from anything I've read.

Here's my 5 star review:

This is a brilliant book! It was originally written in English, which is why I'm writing my review in that language. This wonderful, non-fiction account of the author's week on a cruise ship mirrors what I'd expect my own experience to be - horrifying. He's a very literary writer sent by a luxury magazine to report on life aboard one of those giant vessels. Though he clearly finds himself on a floating hell, he quite compassionately allows his fellow passengers - all having the time of their lives - to genuinely shine. He takes no pot shots nor does he write with cruel undertones, but let's them explain why they love the required fancy dress at dinners, the rush of tightly scheduled on-board activities and (extremely) brief stopovers in the overly touristed ports of call. The footnotes, in which he allows himself to complain and cringe at this scheduled madness, sometimes take up half the page and must be read in order to truly enjoy the book as a whole. This brilliant, challenging read will keep your mind and spirit completely engaged. Highly recommended.