Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Review Challenge > Mexico and Latin America

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane  | 12972 comments Post reviews for books set in Mexico, Central America, or South America here.

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments Wandering by Melissa Burovac

Wandering is a fascinating and detailed description of one woman’s solo travels around Central America, Australia and Southeast Asia.

When Melissa Burovac turned 40 years old, she wasn’t satisfied with her life so she sold her house, car and possessions and headed off on a yearlong adventure to find herself. The author does a great job of relaying how it is to come up against pushy tour guides, hotel scams and sketchy transport, while trying to barter in a language you really haven’t mastered.

As a fellow solo traveler, her journey was very recognizable for me. She sets off on her trip uncertain in herself and her own abilities; yet with the knowledge that it was up to her to make it work regardless. She also highlights the beautiful moments of being on the road when everything comes together and you have an amazing, even life changing experience you could only have while traveling solo.

It’s a good guide to adventure if you’re planning on traveling to Central America, offering detailed advice about fantastic hikes, interesting tours and lots of diving sites that sound well worth the time to check out.

The author is also realistic about how depressing it can be to come home after a long trip. Her frustration at being confronted with the banality of day-to-day life was also very familiar. Luckily, once the author had a chance to let her experiences sink in, she did realize how lucky she was to go on an adventure others probably wouldn’t or couldn’t.

Wandering offers interesting insights into traveling solo and I would recommend it to others who are considering take a year off to travel the world.

**This book takes place mostly in South America, thus I chose to place it here. Read in October 2016. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Garcia | 18 comments i have a book and recommended about colombia and if you like colombia and the stories of this beautiful country, this is the book.
https://masalladelosviajeslibros.word...