Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane  | 12972 comments Post reviews for books set in the United States here. If you know what state the book is set in, please include it,

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 17 comments Paper Towns

Transitioning from teenager to young adult is rarely easy. John Green is a master at capturing that trying time of life & guiding his characters through a stage of maturation. In Paper Towns, Quentin Jacobsen has always been in awe of his next door neighbor, Margo Roth Spiegelman. Although they hung out together as kids, they didn't have the same circle of friends by high school.

Shortly before high school graduation, Margo ropes Quentin into helping her with some pranks. The next day, Margo is gone. As Quentin searches for Margo, piecing together clues Margo has left behind, he begins to develop a life philosophy about people & relationships. This insight helps him to understand Margo, who is not the person he thought she was & who says she feels like a paper person.

Quentin's other friends are well portrayed, each different from the other. They team up to take a road trip in search of Margo. I could've done without so much story devoted to the road trip, but there were some cool parts to it. All in all, I enjoyed the story, especially the concept of paper towns.

Not a group read
I read April 2016
My rating: 4-stars
Region: USA/Florida

message 3: by Tim (new)

Tim Notier | 7 comments Maiden Voyage The Prequel to The Adventure of a Lifetime by Tim Notier

This challenge is over a year old, but Maiden Voyage covers Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and Nebraska. It is a book that covers the landmarks in those states in detail from the vantage point of a motorcycle.