Historical Mystery Lovers discussion

Caleb Carr
This topic is about Caleb Carr
29 views
Featured Authors > Featured Author August 2016 - Caleb Carr

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1693 comments Mod
 photo Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 10.10.03 PM.png

Caleb Carr is our featured author for August

Feel free to make book suggestions in this thread.

Come and tell us which book you picked and once you've read it let us know what you thought of it (is it a new to you author, would you read his work again, etc.)


message 2: by Sandy (last edited Jul 15, 2016 02:37PM) (new)

Sandy | 1180 comments I actually own The Alienist so that's what I'll be reading. I haven't read Carr before so thanks for the push.


message 3: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 267 comments Sandy wrote: "I actually own The Alienist so that's what I'll be reading. I haven't read Carr before so thanks for the push."

The Alienist has been on my TBR forever, so I'll be doing this one too!


message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1693 comments Mod
The Alienist (Dr. Laszlo Kreizler, #1) by Caleb Carr is a fantastic book. I read and loved it before I even knew that historical mysteries was a separate genre, lol!

Carr's research is impeccable and the characterization is excellent. Hope everyone enjoys it :0)


message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1693 comments Mod
By the way, Carr is going to be writing more books in the Lazslo Kreizler series and there is a television adaptation of The Alienist in the works.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/11/...


message 6: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments I wish I had seen this thread earlier. I was just at one of my local Half-Price bookstores last night and saw Carr's The Italian Secretary A Further Adventure of Sherlock Holmes by Caleb Carr on the shelf. I almost bought it but in the end just stuck with the book I actually went in there to get. Looks like I'll be making another trip!

I did read The Alienist last year and enjoyed it. Good news about a possible series.


message 7: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 35 comments I am currently reading The Alienist. His detail is amazing. AI like reading about how crimes are solved before all the computerized stuff.


message 8: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Haven | 15 comments I've read both The Alienist and his second book in that series, The Angel Of Darkness. I thought both were fantastic reads. Enjoy your August book challenge.


message 9: by happy (new)

happy (happyone) | 148 comments it's been yrs since I've read them, but I totally agree!


message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1693 comments Mod
I actually didn't like The Angel of Darkness (Dr. Laszlo Kreizler, #2) by Caleb Carr as much as the first book. I think the change in narrator from (view spoiler)


message 11: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1180 comments I finished The Alienist last night and rated it 3.5 stars (becomes 3 on Goodreads).

Wonderful depiction of New York in the Gilded Age. I particularly liked the narrator looking back from the 1920's to the NY of his youth. Interesting and amusing cameos by historical figures, including a quick look at Teddy Roosevelt's family.

The story was interesting though drawn out; the second half picked up considerably. The murders were too graphic for my taste, but I hardened. The Jewish detective brothers were my favorite characters; I was hoping they were based on real people who continued their interesting lives.

I'm pretty sure I won't read the second book, as it is 200-300 pages longer, but I liked the author's style and am interested in opinions of his other novels.


message 12: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 267 comments Sandy wrote: "The story was interesting though drawn out; the second half picked up considerably. The murders were too graphic for my taste, but I hardened. The Jewish detective brothers were my favorite characters; I was hoping they were based on real people who continued their interesting lives. "

Good to know. I'm about 100 pages in and it seems to be interesting but slow-going.


message 13: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 35 comments Meghan wrote: "Sandy wrote: "The story was interesting though drawn out; the second half picked up considerably. The murders were too graphic for my taste, but I hardened. The Jewish detective brothers were my fa..."

It is slow going. But I find it interesting how they solved crimes back then.


message 14: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 267 comments Britney wrote: "Meghan wrote: "Sandy wrote: "The story was interesting though drawn out; the second half picked up considerably. The murders were too graphic for my taste, but I hardened. The Jewish detective brot..."

For me, the beginning felt bogged down in details. But it definitely picked up and by the end I found it hard to put down. And as dense as the beginning was, I realized how important it was to have all of that information; I don't really know how else the book could have been written.

I'm not entirely sure if I'll continue with the series mainly because my life is about to get real busy and the second one is considerably longer, but I wouldn't rule it out.


back to top