Victorians! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations Archives > Nominations - September 2016

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 922 comments It's time to nominate our Septembet book. This thread will stay open for one week or until we get 8 nominations, whichever comes first.

message 2: by Renee, Moderator (new)

Renee M | 1991 comments Mod
I had such a great time reading North and South with the group that is like to do another Gaskell. How about Cranford?

(I haven't checked the selves yet. Will do that next. If Cranford was too soon ago, then I'll change to Mary Barton)

message 3: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 922 comments Renee wrote: "I had such a great time reading North and South with the group that is like to do another Gaskell. How about Cranford?

(I haven't checked the selves yet. Will do that n..."

It was a buddy read in 2011

message 4: by Marie-vicky (new)

Marie-vicky (grimace) | 20 comments What about Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens

message 5: by Renee, Moderator (new)

Renee M | 1991 comments Mod
Perfect! I gleefully nominate Cranford!

message 6: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 922 comments The link for Our Mutual Friend

message 7: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2507 comments A not as well known but reputedly quite readable novel is Esther Waters by George Moore. It is called his most successful novel, and by some his masterpiece.
Esther Waters
George Moore

Sutherland in The Stanford Companion to Victorian Fiction calls it "a conscious effort by Moore to emulate Zola and Turgenev. Because of the frankness of its sexual episodes, circulating libraries refused to stock it."

But the Goodreads blurb calls it "one of the first English novels to defeat Victorian moral censorship. George Moore's story of a mother's fight for the life of her illegitimate son won Mr Gladstone's approval and was admitted, unaltered, into those bastions of Victorian conformity, the circulating libraries."

Sounds interesting!

message 8: by Deborah (last edited Jul 15, 2016 05:34PM) (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 922 comments Everyman wrote: "A not as well known but reputedly quite readable novel is Esther Waters by George Moore. It is called his most successful novel, and by some his masterpiece.
Esther Waters
[author:Geo..."

You've picked one of my all time favorites! Also there's a nice portrait of George Moore at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. It's in the Impressionists area

message 9: by Lily (new)

Lily (joy1) | 1289 comments Deborah wrote: "Also there's a nice portrait of George Moore at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. It's in the Impressionists area...."

http://www.metmuseum.org/art/collecti...

Another, unfinished
http://www.metmuseum.org/art/collecti...

message 10: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 922 comments Lily wrote: "Deborah wrote: "Also there's a nice portrait of George Moore at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. It's in the Impressionists area...."

http://www.metmuseum.org/art/collecti......"

Thx Lily for the links.

message 11: by Lily (new)

Lily (joy1) | 1289 comments Deborah wrote: "Thx Lily for the links. ..."

It is rather easy to send me looking for art... ;-) Thx for the heads up. (I ordered the free kindle version of the novel, whether or not it is chosen here. A recommendation by both you and Eman says "Add to your TBR.")

message 12: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2507 comments Lily wrote: "Deborah wrote: "Also there's a nice portrait of George Moore at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. It's in the Impressionists area...."

http://www.metmuseum.org/art/collecti......"

He certainly doesn't look very prepossessing.

message 13: by Frances (new)

Frances (francesab) | 359 comments Is it too soon to nominate Middlemarch? It was read in 2012.

message 14: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 922 comments Frances wrote: "Is it too soon to nominate Middlemarch? It was read in 2012."

We usually use not in the last two years. So it would be eligible

message 15: by Odette (new)

Odette (odman) I am enjoying reading The Black Tulip with the group and following the discussion.

Would Anna of the Five Towns by Arnold Bennett be eligible for nomination? Though it was written in 1902 it portrays provincial life in Victorian England.

message 16: by Rose (new)

Rose Rocha dos Santos (roserocha) | 33 comments Hi, everyone!

I nominate The Time Machine by H.G. Wells!

message 17: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 0 comments All nominations are good but I would like to nominate: At the Back of the North Wind

message 18: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 0 comments Odette wrote: "I am enjoying reading The Black Tulip with the group and following the discussion.

Would Anna of the Five Towns by Arnold Bennett be eligible for nomination?..."

I loved this book and several others by Arnold Bennett I have read

message 19: by Maria (new)

Maria Eyre (weirdgirl) | 3 comments I would like to nominate The mill on the floss, by George Elliot.

message 20: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 922 comments Maria wrote: "I would like to nominate The mill on the floss, by George Elliot."

The link is here The Mill on the Floss

message 21: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 922 comments Odette wrote: "I am enjoying reading The Black Tulip with the group and following the discussion.

Would Anna of the Five Towns by Arnold Bennett be eligible for nomination?..."

Odette, I haven't forgotten you need a ruling on this. It's under discussion now.

message 22: by Dee (new)

Dee | 129 comments I'd like to nominate The Way We Live Now

We haven't read any Trollope in awhile, and I've never read him at all :D

message 23: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 922 comments Deborah wrote: "Odette wrote: "I am enjoying reading The Black Tulip with the group and following the discussion.

Would Anna of the Five Towns by Arnold Bennett be eligible ..."

After much soul searching, I've decided to stick with our time frame which excludes this book. Odette, perhaps a different book by the author in our time period? I will leave the nom thread open so that you can nominate your second choice. I hope you understand my decision.

message 24: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 0 comments Deborah wrote: "Deborah wrote: "Odette wrote: "I am enjoying reading The Black Tulip with the group and following the discussion.

Would Anna of the Five Towns by [author:Arnold Bennett|33..."

It is the same decision I would have had to come to despite loving Bennett very much. Just FYI I don't think there are any books by Bennett before this one but there are plenty of great Victorian novels out there. I hope you nominate something else Odette.

message 25: by Odette (last edited Jul 19, 2016 03:21AM) (new)

Odette (odman) Tracey wrote: "Deborah wrote: "Deborah wrote: "Odette wrote: "I am enjoying reading The Black Tulip with the group and following the discussion.

Not to worry. I thought it may have just been out of the time range and is his earliest book.

Instead I would like to nominate The Haunted Hotel: A Mystery of Modern Venice by Wilkie Collins

message 26: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 922 comments Odette wrote: "Tracey wrote: "Deborah wrote: "Deborah wrote: "Odette wrote: "I am enjoying reading The Black Tulip with the group and following the discussion.

Not to worry. I thought it may have j..."

Thx for understanding. That's our last nomination. I'm going to close this thread. Poll will be up tomorrow

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.