Bookstagram discussion

How Much Do You Read a Day

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (matinee) | 74 comments Ran into a friend last night who follows me on Goodreads. She was convinced that I read at work since she didn't know how else I could consume as many books as I do

(Note: I don't read at work, though I do listen to audiobooks)

I just told her I make reading part of the commute and on my lunch, it all just adds up.

I just did the math, and it would seem as though I read for just under two hours a day from Monday - Friday, and maybe another hour or so over the entire weekend.

How about you? How many hours/minutes would you say you read per day?

message 2: by Yesse (new)

Yesse ||   Within_the_Pages (within_the_pages) | 15 comments I read maybe 1-2 hours a day during the week. Weekends maybe 2-3 hours combined a day.

message 3: by penneminreads (new)

penneminreads | 96 comments That's an interesting question! I just read an article on how to cram more reading time into your daily schedule and how to read more books :D I felt like I wanted to read more books but didn't have the time (which is just not true ;) ).

I want to read for at least one hour every day, which is usually easily manageable, and I'm now actively making time for it in the evening. I'm also noticing that one hour really isn't that much, so usually I'm reading longer, maybe up to two hours.
On the weekends, or on my off days I can spend all afternoon reading if I've got nothing else to do.

I'd love to read during breakfast, too, but for some reason I just can't multitask reading and eating :D

message 4: by Faroukh (new)

Faroukh Naseem (theguywiththebook) | 121 comments Mod
My problem is that i always want reading time to be relaxation time. so i almost never read if i have only 10-15 miinutes to read. I need to work on it!

normally i get about 1 hour per day on average and a total of 4 hours during the weekends.

message 5: by Aamina (new)

Aamina (obsessedwibooks) | 4 comments I read about a hour which is good right?

message 6: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (meetmeinmalkovich) Usually I get little burst of 15 minutes here or there during the week, and the weekends I could read for hours given the chance.

message 7: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (matinee) | 74 comments Faroukh wrote: "My problem is that i always want reading time to be relaxation time. so i almost never read if i have only 10-15 miinutes to read.

I think that's a common assumption not just amongst bibliophiles but with everyone out there who says "they don't have time to read". Thing is - what you're describing is something I do wish I had more often; a comfy spot and at least 90 minutes of uninterrupted peace & quiet

message 8: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (matinee) | 74 comments OBSESSED wrote: "I read about a hour which is good right?"

You're damned right that's good!

message 9: by Rose (new)

Rose (books_rose) 20 min to 1 1/2 hour a day. I try to read at least 20 min a day. Sometimes it's just news or an article that interested me. On the weekend it depends. Most of the time I read more on weekdays.

message 10: by May (new)

May AlJabr (mayaljabr) | 4 comments That depends on the chapters,but usually 2-3 hours a day!

message 11: by Charlott (new)

Charlott (halfjill) This question really got me thinking :D I often read during my commute (25 minutes + 25 minutes) - but sometimes I just read a page and stare out of the window... And I try to read most evenings another 2 hours (of course that does not always work out that way aswell, the last two weeks for example I read almost nothing in the evenings for I was so exhausted). On weekends there can be days where I read close to eight hours, and days where I just do not read at all :D

During the last 3 years I tried to make reading a priority again and I have admit that keeping track on goodreads helped me a lot because it motivates me to no end (and since last year bookstagram aswell :D ).

message 12: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (matinee) | 74 comments Charlott wrote: "On weekends there can be days where I read close to eight hours..."

The last two years I have spent the better part of New Year's Day on the couch reading for six hours or so. Suffice it to say, it has made for wonderful starts to my year.

I sometimes wonder if I would trade my ~2 hours daily for one 8-10 hour block...