The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Group Read Discussions > July/August 2016 group read: Nemesis, by Agatha Christie

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 9226 comments Mod
This month's read is Nemesis, by Agatha Christie; your discussion leader is Celeste. Have fun, keep spoilers to a minimum, and enjoy the book!!

message 2: by Charissa (new)

Charissa Wilkinson (lilmizflashythang) | 12 comments Enjoying this book was pretty easy the first time. Can't wait to see how everyone else feels about it.

message 3: by Harper (new)

Harper | 9 comments Nemesis is one of my favorite Agatha Christie/Miss Marple novels!

message 4: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

I think I'm going to read with everyone here -- I haven't read this book in eons so it will be a good refresher.

message 5: by Mariah (new)

Mariah Kingdom (mariah_kingdom) Fabulous choice, I haven't read this for years!

message 6: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Have you all read her A Caribbean Mystery? I think I'll read both together, since Nemesis sort of springs from that one.

message 7: by Wend (new)

Wend (wends) | 44 comments Nancy wrote: "Have you all read her A Caribbean Mystery? I think I'll read both together, since Nemesis sort of springs from that one."

Good thought Nancy, I may well do the same if time allows.

message 8: by Mariah (new)

Mariah Kingdom (mariah_kingdom) In the dim and distant past of my teenage years I read them all, but that was a long time ago so a re-read is long overdue!

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim Kaso | 38 comments I just read A Caribbean Mystery with the Agatha Christie group, so this is timely. I think we are reading this with them soon, doing them in order of publication, so I will get two groups for the reading. ;-)

message 10: by Greg (new)

Greg So far am about 1/4th through. I've read many of Christie's books before but this is a new one for me. I am enjoying it quite a bit!

message 11: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (pinkbear) | 14 comments First time I've reads this one, looking forward to it, I hope everyone enjoys the story!

message 12: by shanghao (new)

shanghao (sanshow) | 122 comments Been a long time since I read this one, maybe a reread is in order!

message 13: by Charissa (new)

Charissa Wilkinson (lilmizflashythang) | 12 comments I read them one after the other last year, Nancy. I was down to two books for my challenge list.

message 14: by Harper (new)

Harper | 9 comments One of my favorite aspects of this book is that I think Christie's references to Greek mythology & Shakespearean characters (in particular, for "the weird sisters") are particularly adept.

message 15: by Angelina (new)

Angelina | 120 comments Love this book will have to see if I can find a copy at the library to re-read it, which tv adaptation did everyone vote for or like? My favourite miss marple is joan hickson as watched those as a child.

message 16: by shanghao (last edited Jul 19, 2016 10:55AM) (new)

shanghao (sanshow) | 122 comments Just finished this reread, I had never actually watched a Miss Marple tv adaptation before. Looked up and ended up watching the Joan Hickson version while reading the book, really livened up the characters for me. Joan Hickson's a superb Marple, fits her to a T. I particularly enjoyed the intro and ending of this book, and of course the confrontation scene with Marple as 'Nemesis', both in the book and on screen. Wonderful stuff.

I'm on to watching the Geraldine McEwan version, it's an altogether different take on the characters and story but I appreciate the novelty too.

message 17: by Bill (new)

Bill I hope to find a copy at one of my local book stores.

message 18: by Franky (new)

Franky | 940 comments I just got my copy today and I'll be starting asap, although I do prefer Poirot to Marple most of the time.

message 19: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Franky wrote: "I just got my copy today and I'll be starting asap, although I do prefer Poirot to Marple most of the time."

i need to just put everything aside and read this book. And speaking of Miss Marple v. Poirot, I love them both.

message 20: by Charissa (new)

Charissa Wilkinson (lilmizflashythang) | 12 comments I haven't tried Poirot yet, any suggestions for a first book?

message 21: by Franky (new)

Franky | 940 comments Charissa wrote: "I haven't tried Poirot yet, any suggestions for a first book?"

One of my favorites is the classic, Murder on the Orient Express

message 22: by Mike (last edited Jul 24, 2016 09:21PM) (new)

Mike Charissa wrote: "I haven't tried Poirot yet, any suggestions for a first book?"

The Mysterious Affair at Styles is his first and a good start. Then The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is an absolute must. Not just for Poirot but for any mystery fan.

message 23: by Mike (last edited Jul 24, 2016 09:31PM) (new)

Mike This is my first time participating in a discussion although I have been in the group for a while. I borrowed the book from the library and have finished it. (I'm waiting on the TV series version at this point.) Am I allowed to start posting thoughts here? Is that how it works?

It was my first Marple mystery (not my first Christie though), but there are a few things that I'd love to talk over.

message 24: by Charissa (new)

Charissa Wilkinson (lilmizflashythang) | 12 comments Thank you for the suggestions. I'll definitely be looking for these books.

message 25: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (pinkbear) | 14 comments Mike wrote: "This is my first time participating in a discussion although I have been in the group for a while. I borrowed the book from the library and have finished it. (I'm waiting on the TV series version a..."

Mike wrote: "This is my first time participating in a discussion although I have been in the group for a while. I borrowed the book from the library and have finished it. (I'm waiting on the TV series version a..."

Sure! Let's us know your thoughts but if you can, hide any spoilers please :)

message 26: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Thanks, Celeste. I haven't started yet so minimal spoilers will be appreciated.

message 27: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 36270 comments My book came today. Although I have read it several times. And I have seen it on TV.

message 28: by Franky (new)

Franky | 940 comments Can anyone recommend a good movie adaptation for this book?

message 29: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 36270 comments The one with Joan Hickson is good. I think it pretty much adheres to the book.

message 30: by Jacqui (new)

Jacqui Holland How had I not read this before? I've read so many of the Miss Marple books that I'm surprised I missed it. I listened to the audiobook narrated by Emilia Clarke, who voiced all of the characters brilliantly, and absolutely loved it.

message 31: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

IFranky wrote: "Can anyone recommend a good movie adaptation for this book?"

You can absolutely skip the Geraldine McEwan version -- it has no relation at all to the novel, and it's not good at all. I have to go through a few boxes to find my Joan Hickson Marple version.

message 32: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Finished the book this afternoon. Ahhhh.

message 33: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

I don't know about the rest of you, but this may be up there among my favorite Marple mysteries. I think it's much darker than the usual fare, and there's plenty going on around the mystery itself.

message 34: by shanghao (last edited Jul 27, 2016 07:58AM) (new)

shanghao (sanshow) | 122 comments Nancy wrote: "I don't know about the rest of you, but this may be up there among my favorite Marple mysteries. I think it's much darker than the usual fare, and there's plenty going on around the mystery itself."

After this reread, I wholeheartedly agree, Nancy. I wasn't paying much attention during my first read but this time round, I picked up more nuances that drew my appreciation. I love the ending, it was a beautifully written piece for Miss Marple, and it's interesting that Christie left us a final picture of a (view spoiler) Miss Marple whereas for Poirot his career was concluded on a grim, albeit more thought provoking note on moral ambiguity and the meaning of justice.

In Miss Marple's case she really was depicted as a clear 'nemesis' of evil, and I thought the confrontational scene was especially glorious in the adaptation.

message 35: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

sanny wrote: "Nancy wrote: "I don't know about the rest of you, but this may be up there among my favorite Marple mysteries. I think it's much darker than the usual fare, and there's plenty going on around the m..."

I thought the adaptation I saw was terrible. They could have at least stuck to the story. I knew we were in trouble when I saw a Nazi falling out of a sky in a parachute. first words: WTF?

message 36: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 365 comments I just got my library ecopy. I'm looking forward to starting it.

message 37: by shanghao (last edited Jul 27, 2016 09:06AM) (new)

shanghao (sanshow) | 122 comments Nancy wrote: "sanny wrote: "Nancy wrote: "I don't know about the rest of you, but this may be up there among my favorite Marple mysteries. I think it's much darker than the usual fare, and there's plenty going o..."

Oh the one I watched was the older Joan Hickson version, superb acting imo. I then tried to watch the ITV one, but yes, between the German soldier and then the nuns, I didn't know what was going on and went on to doing other stuff. Maybe I'll get back to it just out of curiosity but not anytime soon.

message 38: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

sanny wrote: "Nancy wrote: "sanny wrote: "Nancy wrote: "I don't know about the rest of you, but this may be up there among my favorite Marple mysteries. I think it's much darker than the usual fare, and there's ..."

Oh good! I'll have something to look forward to after I find my dvds!

message 39: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

I found my dvds so I'm watching the Hickson version later this afternoon.

message 40: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 9 comments Charissa wrote: "I haven't tried Poirot yet, any suggestions for a first book?"

A short story The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding.

message 41: by Charissa (new)

Charissa Wilkinson (lilmizflashythang) | 12 comments Sounds interesting, I'll give it a shot.

message 42: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 365 comments I'm about half way. I'm enjoying the dialog, Miss Marple's internal musings, and the dry humor. As far as pace, it's fairly slow. The point of view change with the Broadribb scene at the beginning was interesting and I think shift to a different point of view would liven it up a bit, while still in keeping with the character. It is an enjoyable read.

message 43: by Franky (last edited Aug 02, 2016 10:25PM) (new)

Franky | 940 comments I'm about 30 pages from finishing so I'll probably finish tomorrow. It took a bit for things to start to flow in the first half or so, but the plot seemed to move a little after chapter 10. Marple is playing her cards the right way so far I think. I bought the Hickson version, I might watch one half tonight and the other half tomorrow after I finish the book. (I had accidentally bought the other version). I'm intrigued how it will all play out and end.

message 44: by Kim (new)

Kim Kaso | 38 comments Excellent re-read. I do not mind the pacing, part of the pleasure is Miss Marple being Miss Marple, knitting, thinking, slowly "intuiting" her way to an answer while having innumerable cups of tea. Likewise, Nero Wolfe--the meals, the orchids, Archie trying to get a rise out of him--these are not fast-paced thrillers. These books are as much about their characters & surroundings as they are about the mystery. Am reading & re-reading all Agatha Christie's works, this month I have 4 because of various groups. ;-)

message 45: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 365 comments I'm at 88%. It turned the corner after the half-way point, the incident that occurred, making Miss Marple's assignment clear, upped the ante.

As sometimes happens with Poirot, when he is judged on appearance only it is amusing - in one story someone thought he was a hairdresser. With Miss Marple, she plays the 'scatty' card quite well. She's clever. I love Chritie's humor.

message 46: by Wend (new)

Wend (wends) | 44 comments M.L. wrote: "I'm at 88%. It turned the corner after the half-way point, the incident that occurred, making Miss Marple's assignment clear, upped the ante.

As sometimes happens with Poirot, when he is judged o..."

I also love Chrstie's humour. For me Joan Hickson played the humour of scatty Miss Marple so well.

message 47: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 365 comments Wend wrote: "M.L. wrote: "I'm at 88%. It turned the corner after the half-way point, the incident that occurred, making Miss Marple's assignment clear, upped the ante.

As sometimes happens with Poirot, when h..."

Thanks! I'll have to watch Joan Hickson. I finished and really enjoyed it. I'm glad it was a group read - will definitely read another Miss Marple.

message 48: by Franky (new)

Franky | 940 comments I started the film last night. I finished the book and did enjoy it, probably not as much as some other of Christie's though. I might have to go back and reread a few parts because when everything was unraveled at the end I was kind of like "huh?"

message 49: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

I didn't have that reaction at all. What I did wonder about is if (view spoiler). Did anyone else think that, or at least have the question in your head?

message 50: by M.L. (last edited Aug 08, 2016 08:28AM) (new)

M.L. | 365 comments A couple of 'questionable' things: (view spoiler)

« previous 1