World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > Don't Get Hacked -- Use a better passphrase!

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (last edited Jul 15, 2016 06:47PM) (new)

Alex (asato) As authors (or wannabe authors in my case), we have a few more passwords than most users and some of them are for income-generating sites.

This is a very important article on how to create and manage those all so important passwords:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/06...

The Electronic Frontier Foundation is the leading nonprofit organization defending civil liberties in the digital world. Cory Doctorow is a special consultant to the EFF.

i haven't changed all of mine, but i'm in the process.

EDIT: Wasn't getting enough traffic on an important subject, so I used a better title.

message 2: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15677 comments Thanks, Alex.
With somebody complaining about his or her site being hacked just yesterday and constant leakages from everywhere, incl. where you'd expect it won't, everyone can become a victim of the next cyber encroachment, what with CIA director's e-mail account allegedly hacked by some teenager.
Different p/w should help minimize the collateral damage..

message 3: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 1022 comments But "12345" is the same as the combination I use on my luggage and so much easier for me to remember :)

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) Marie wrote: "But "12345" is the same as the combination I use on my luggage and so much easier for me to remember :)"

Marie, You crack me up. : )

message 5: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15677 comments Marie wrote: "my luggage :)"

Luggage is extremely prone for hacking. Suggest keeping it locked even when not traveling -:)

message 6: by Neil (new)

Neil Carstairs | 53 comments One tip I was given is to always click "forgot password" and get a new one each time you access your account

message 7: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15677 comments Neil wrote: "One tip I was given is to always click "forgot password" and get a new one each time you access your account"

Strategy that kinda makes all passwords irrelevant then -:)

message 8: by Segilola (new)

Segilola Salami (segilolasalami) | 405 comments that was me :(

message 9: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15677 comments Segilola wrote: "that was me :("

Sorry, to hear, Segilola. Welcome here and hope you'll enjoy!
So, did you find anti-hackers then?

message 10: by Segilola (new)

Segilola Salami (segilolasalami) | 405 comments thanks

I'm wondering if the hackers hacked the hosting company too. couldnt reach them on phone for two days, so waiting for tomorrow to try again