The Sword and Laser discussion

Author Promo (Share Your Stuff!) > A novel with Veronica Belmont in it? Yes.

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 433 comments The Zookeeper’s Dilemma is the story of Lucy who discovers that she is descended from a long line of ancestor spirits. These Spirits, divided into clans and constantly fighting among themselves for dominance, have secretly infiltrated and influenced civilization for millennia. But as humans begin to destroy the planet’s ecosystem and threaten the very existence of the Spirits, the Clans make plans to take control. Lucy must decide which faction to join, a choice which could tip the balance and seal humanity’s fate.

I think it’s safe to say that this novel wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t for the Vaginal Fantasy Book Club. I was never a fan of *romance* novels until I started watching the monthly hangouts with Felicia, Bonnie, Kiala and The Sword & Laser’s own Veronica. After listening to them talk about books, I came to appreciate that there was far more to the genre than I had previously thought. Indeed, they were instrumental in rekindling my love of reading and writing. As a tribute, I included them as minor characters in the novel. You can read the first scene with Veronica here.

This book is not your typical urban fantasy novel. It draws on aspects of a variety of cultures from around the world and through time, stitching them together into one narrative. One of my favorites things to do in my writing is to take common tropes and twist them into new and unexpected forms. The protagonist has no special powers. She’s just a woman with a regular job who gets thrust into impossible situation after impossible situation, yet ultimately it is her choice that will decide the fate of both the Spirit world and humanity. It’s a story filled with panic, humor, action, and sexy times.

If you like what you see so far, please follow this book, recommend it to others, or leave a review. I’ll continue with this project whether or not it is fully funded, but your support can only make it better. If the funding goal is reached, a portion of the purchase price will go to support animal rescue charities. Read more or pre-order at Inkshares.

message 2: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4215 comments Shameless pandering! I like it. :)

Best of luck with the project.

message 3: by Darren (new)

Darren I don't know. Putting a real person in a book as a cameo is one thing, but using that as a selling point seems like misappropriation, to me. You're essentially using her name to sell your books. Is Veronica okay with this?

I see you have another book on your profile: Vandal Eyes (Vandal Eyes, #1) by Sean Sandulak , which seems to be doing the same thing.

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 433 comments Darren wrote: "I don't know. Putting a real person in a book as a cameo is one thing, but using that as a selling point seems like misappropriation, to me. You're essentially using her name to sell your books. Is..."

Yes, I asked all of them before I put the book up and they consented. If even one of them had said no I would have changed the book. As to exploiting her name, It is only featured so prominently here because this is her group, and I thought some people might enjoy the novelty of it.

I have enjoyed Vaginal Fantasy since its inception and am currently a moderator for their Goodreads forums. While we have never met in person, I consider them my friends and would never do anything to harm them. I have been creating fun photoshops of the hosts for years, and I don't see this as fundamentally any different than that.

All in all, I believe the book stands on its own merits and represents long hours of hard work on my part. I do appreciate how someone might perceive this as profiting from their names, which is one of the reasons I'm donating a portion of the funds raised to animal rescue charities.The other title you mention is a short story fan piece, which is available for free (except on Amazon which does not normally offer free titles). They were both fine with it and retweeted the link.

message 5: by Darren (new)

Darren If they're good with it, my opinion doesn't matter.

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 433 comments On the contrary, it was a valid concern. Thank you for raising it. I'll address it in a future update.

message 7: by Fresno Bob (last edited Jul 22, 2016 01:00PM) (new)

Fresno Bob | 593 comments i can't believe you had Veronica end up with Tom after that really explicit scene with her and Felicia Day in the VF Hottub, I can only imagine how Ryan feels....

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 433 comments I think we all know that's not true because Felicia would never get in a hot tub. She's too much of a germophobe.

message 9: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 593 comments fictional hot tubs always have perfect filters and Ph balance!

message 10: by Sean Lookielook (new)

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 433 comments You can't filter human stew. I think you're confusing my book with your last play through of The Sims.