The Challenge Factory discussion

♦TCF Monopoly Archives♦ > TCF Monopoly Maria Jo vs Maddison vs Laurence vs Brianna

Comments Showing 1-50 of 170 (170 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Paris (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments

Roll Dice

Monopoly Rules

• You do not need to wait for the other player to finish reading before you take your next turn. As soon as you're done reading, go ahead and roll.
• Each property is represented by a shelf. For each grouping of shelves/properties you would read a certain amount of books from that shelf. Once you finish the amount of books you would then “Own” that shelf.
• If you land on an “owned” shelf you would have to read a certain amount of books above what the owner had to read.
• If one person “owns” all of the books in a group (think Mediterranean and Baltic) and another player lands on their properties they would be able to recommend at least one of the books that the player has to read.
Utilities – For the Electric Company – Read a book where the characters have electric chemistry. For Water Works – Read a book that makes you cry. Books have to be 150 pages or more.
• If a player lands on an “Owned” utility, then the owner will recommend a book with electric chemistry or that makes them cry.
Railroads – For Reading Railroad – Read whatever you want. For Pennsylvania Railroad – Read a book set in Pennsylvania. For B&O Railroad – Read a book that someone else thought stunk. For Short Line – Read a novella. Page minimum 150 for all but Short Line. 25 page minimum for the novella.
• If a player lands on an “owned” railroad, the owner will recommend a book for that specific railroad.
Chance and Community Chest – there are 12 cards for each. If a player lands on one of those spots they will roll the dice a second time and then would “pull” the corresponding card and do whatever it says on the card. Once a card is used, it will be out of play unless needed to finish the game. Books for this would need to be at least 150 pages.
Being in Jail – To get out of jail you would need to have one of the get out of jail free cards, roll doubles on one of your next three turns or read a book where a character is arrested or has been in jail. Books for this would need to be 150 pages or more.
Just Visiting – Read a novella of your choice, 50 page minimum
Free Parking – Read any book 100 pages or more
Go – Read any book of 200 pages or more
Luxury Tax/Income Tax – Read a book with a rich character, a really poor character or someone that works in a bank. 150 pages or more
• Each roll, you'll post your starting spot, the roll and your new spot on the board.
• When you finish your book you'll post the spot your on, book name, rating, when it was finished and a short review of the book. If you were supposed to read a book that had a specific element (water works utility, book that made you cry), then please mention that in the review.
• Re-reads are allowed.

Link to Frequently Asked Game Questions

message 2: by Paris (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments Property/Shelves

Mediterranean Avenue - Favorites Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Baltic Avenue - Fiction Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.

Oriental Avenue - 2013 Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Vermont Avenue - Wishlist Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Connecticut Avenue - Books I Own Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.

St. Charles Place - Ebooks Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
States Avenue - Maybe Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Virginia Avenue - Book Club Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.

St. James Place - Reviewed - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Tennessee Avenue - 2012 Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
New York Avenue - Must Read Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.

Kentucky Avenue - 2011 Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Indiana Avenue - 5 Stars - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Illinois Avenue - Re-Read Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.

Atlantic Avenue - 2010 Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
Ventnor Avenue - Library Books - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
Marvin Gardens - Recommended Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.

Pacific Avenue - Stand Alone Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
North Carolina Avenue - Love Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
Pennsylvania Avenue - Part of a Series Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.

Park Place - Never Finished Shelf - Must read 3 book to own. Must read 5 books if the property is owned.
Boardwalk - DNF Shelf - Must read 3 book to own. Must read 5 books if the property is owned.

message 3: by Paris (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments Community Chest

2. Get out of Jail Free
3. Holiday Fund Matures - Read a Holiday themed book.
4. Yes Sir! - Read a book with a bossy character.
5. Go Directly to Jail
6. Laugh Riot - Read a book that makes you laugh.
7. Go Forward 3 Spaces
8. Fight Night - Read a book with a fight in it.
9. Advanced to St. Charles Place
10. You Inherit $100 - Read a book that was given to you or with a character in it that has inherited something.
11. Pay the Hospital - Read a book that takes place in a hospital or where someone goes to the hospital.
12. You've won a beauty contest - Read a book where a character is considered beautiful.

Chance

2. Advance to Illinois Ave
3. Fright Night - Read a book that scares you.
4. Get out of Jail Free
5. Play Ball - Read a book with a sports theme or athlete in it.
6. Go to Jail
7. Sing A Long - Read a book with a musician
8. Go Back 3 Spaces
9. Warm & Fuzzy - Read a book that makes you feel warm & fuzzy or that has a pet in it.
10. It's Your Birthday - Read a book you got for your birthday or where someone celebrates their birthday.
11. Great Job! - Read a book where the main characters works for a living.
12. Pay For School - Read a book that takes place in a school or where someone goes to school.

message 4: by Maddie (last edited Jun 04, 2017 07:44PM) (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Tracking Properties
Mediterranean Avenue -
Baltic Avenue -

Oriental Avenue - Maddie owns
Vermont Avenue - Maddie owns
Connecticut Avenue - Maria Jo owns

St. Charles Place -
States Avenue -
Virginia Avenue - Maria Jo owns

St. James Place - Maddie owns
Tennessee Avenue -
New York Avenue - Maria Jo owns

Kentucky Avenue -
Indiana Avenue - Owned by Maria
Illinois Avenue - Maria Jo owns

Atlantic Avenue - Owned by Maddie
Ventnor Avenue - Owned by Maddie
Marvin Gardens- Owned by Maddie
If you land on any of the above 3 properties, tell me, because I need to recommend you a book.

Pacific Avenue -
North Carolina Avenue - Owned by Maria Jo
Pennsylvania Avenue - Owned by Maria Jo

Park Place -
Boardwalk -

Reading Railroad- Maria Jo owns
B&O Railroad- Maddie owns
Pennsylvania Railroad- Maria Jo owns
Short Line-

Water Works-
Electric Company- Maria Jo owns

message 5: by Maddie (last edited Jul 18, 2017 02:37AM) (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Cards Tracking
Community Chest

2. Get out of Jail Free
3. Holiday Fund Matures - Read a Holiday themed book.
4. Yes Sir! - Read a book with a bossy character.
5. Go Directly to Jail
6. Laugh Riot - Read a book that makes you laugh.
7. Go Forward 3 Spaces
8. Fight Night - Read a book with a fight in it.
9. Advanced to St. Charles Place
10. You Inherit $100 - Read a book that was given to you or with a character in it that has inherited something.
11. Pay the Hospital - Read a book that takes place in a hospital or where someone goes to the hospital.
12. You've won a beauty contest - Read a book where a character is considered beautiful.

Chance

2. Advance to Illinois Ave
3. Fright Night - Read a book that scares you.
4. Get out of Jail Free
5. Play Ball - Read a book with a sports theme or athlete in it.
6. Go to Jail
7. Sing A Long - Read a book with a musician
8. Go Back 3 Spaces
9. Warm & Fuzzy - Read a book that makes you feel warm & fuzzy or that has a pet in it.
10. It's Your Birthday - Read a book you got for your birthday or where someone celebrates their birthday.
11. Great Job! - Read a book where the main characters works for a living.
12. Pay For School - Read a book that takes place in a school or where someone goes to school.

message 6: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Rolled 3+3=6
Start: Go
End: Oriental Avenue
Task: Read 1 book from the 2013 shelf

message 7: by Maria Jo (new)

Maria Jo Roll #1: 4+5=9

Landed on Connecticut Avenue: Read 1 book from the 'Books I Own' shelf.

Need to look a little to find a book.

message 8: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Yay :D

message 9: by Maria Jo (new)

Maria Jo I'm excited to play with 4 people! It should be a lot of fun!!!

message 10: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Haha it's always fun :p

message 11: by Maria Jo (new)

Maria Jo Very true! :D

message 12: by Laurence (new)

Laurence Bastien | 42 comments Rolled 6+4=10
Start: Go
End: Just visiting
Task: Read a novella of you choice, 50 pages minimum

message 13: by Maria Jo (new)

Maria Jo Finished The Shadow of the Bear by Regina Doman, shelved as 'Books I Own' by 12 people.

Rated 4/5

This was a reread for me, and I don't recall the trouble I had with it last time. The writing seemed poorly done, but the story was still very original. I will definitely be finishing the series.

I now own Connecticut Avenue.

message 14: by Maria Jo (new)

Maria Jo Roll #2: 2+3=5

Landed on Virginia Avenue: Read 1 book from the 'Book Club Shelf.'

Hmm....

message 15: by Laurence (new)

Laurence Bastien | 42 comments Finished half of the novellas of my anthologie Sombres félins by a lot of autors which is 104 pages.
Rating: 3/5
They all talk about cats doing really horrible things. It is so gore sometimes, I just want to throw out. A lot of blood too, not by kind of writing.

message 16: by Laurence (last edited Jul 15, 2016 06:06PM) (new)

Laurence Bastien | 42 comments Rolled 6+5=11
Start: Just visiting
End: Kentucky Avenue
Task: Read 1 2011 shelf

I will read Sisterhood everlasting book 5!

message 17: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Can you guys please post the book cover and the date read? Just so it's clearer when there's a completion post and I need to update.

message 18: by Laurence (new)

Laurence Bastien | 42 comments ok no problem I'll do it for next time :)

message 19: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Thanks!

message 20: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Oriental Avenue Completion
Starters (Starters, #1) by Lissa Price
Task: Read a book from the 2013 shelf
How it fits: 2013 shelf
Date read: 20/7/16
Rating: 5 stars

Review: I actually really enjoyed this book! I liked the fact that there wasn't much romance, and what was (view spoiler) I liked how original the story was, and how even though it was sort of dystopian, it wasn't typical. I like the background, and the pages seemed to turn themselves. I found myself constantly flicking back a chapter just to see how many pages there were in that chapter because I felt like I'd just started a new chapter. It was really good, and it surprised me. I was kind of expecting mediocre, but I enjoyed this :) I like the whole idea of (view spoiler) One thing I didn't quite like was (view spoiler) I found it totally freaky how (view spoiler) and (view spoiler) But I'm pleased that (view spoiler)

message 21: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Rolled 1+1=2
Start: Oriental Avenue
End: Vermont Avenue
Task: Read 1 book from the wishlist shelf

message 22: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Vermont Avenue Completion
The Hunt (The Secret Circle, #5) by Aubrey Clark
Task: Read a book from the wishlist shelf
How it fits: Wishlist shelf
Date read: 20/7/16
Rating: 4 stars

Review: The first half of this book was really boring, but the second half picked up. It was kind of repetitive, but still pretty good. I still hate Cassie's selfishness, and her indecisiveness, and the way she's the strongest witch around even though she had no idea a while ago that she even was a witch. Just rather annoying, how that works. But I was surprised about (view spoiler) Of course (view spoiler) I'm kind of confused how (view spoiler) Doesn't make too much sense. Oh well. It's just a book. I thought the (view spoiler)

message 23: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Rolled 5+3=8
Start: Vermont Avenue
End: St. James Place
Task: Read 1 book from the reviewed shelf

message 24: by Maria Jo (new)

Maria Jo Finished The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1) by Chris Colfer The Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer, July 20, 2016.

This book was great! I finished in only two days. The story idea, while maybe not original, still had a lot of originality and class. 5/5 Stars, will definitely be reading the second book.

I now own Virginia Avenue.

message 25: by Maria Jo (new)

Maria Jo Roll #3: 4+4=8

Landed on Chance. Roll: 2+1=3

Pulled Fright Night: Read a book that scares you.

message 26: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Updated

message 27: by Maria Jo (new)

Maria Jo Finished Fright Night
Book: The Technologists by Matthew Pearl The Technologists by Matthew Pearl
Task: Read a book that scares you
How it fits: Matthew Pearl's books are always suspenseful for me
Date read: July 27, 2016
Rating: 5/5

Review: I really liked this book! Matthew Pearl remains one of my favorite authors. I really enjoyed how he weaved the real trouble with founding MIT with fictional tragedies that, in the end, redeemed the Technologists.

message 28: by Maria Jo (new)

Maria Jo Roll #4: 4+6=10

Landed on North Carolina Avenue: Read 2 books from the Love shelf.

This task is going to be harder for me, I don't usually read romancy novels. Hm....

message 29: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Yeah it was hard for me. But you don't need to read romance books. Basically anything with a love interest in it is on the love shelf. Most YA is haha.

message 30: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments St. James Place Completion
Messenger of Fear (Messenger of Fear, #1) by Michael Grant
Date read: 29/7/16
Rating: 5 stars
Task: Read a book from the reviewed shelf
How it fits: Reviewed shelf

Review: (view spoiler) I so do not remember that from the first time I read this book! I love it though haha. It's very graphic and gory, and detailed within that, which I really enjoyed. I liked the idea, that justice to bullies is deserved, but is hard to dish out. (view spoiler) I'd forgotten about that too. Also the lack of romance was nice, and that the most feelings she got was from (view spoiler) Enjoyed this book, as I rated it 5 stars this time around rather than the initial 4.

message 31: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Rolled 6+4=10
Start: St. James Place (owned by me)
End: Atlantic Avenue
Task: 2 2010 books

message 32: by Maria Jo (new)

Maria Jo Finished North Carolina Avenue

Task: Read 2 books from the 'Love' shelf.

Book 1: The Enchantress Returns (The Land of Stories, #2) by Chris Colfer
Date read: 8-7-2016
Rating: 5/5
I really liked this book! Glad to see another book in the series, but it ended on kind of a cliffhanger. Excited to see where the third book will take the twins!

Book 2: An Abundance of Katherines by John Green
Date read: 8-9-2016
How it fits: shelved as 'Reviewed'
Completed: 8-9-16
I wasn't very fond of this book, but I am glad that I have marked it off my list. The story was not at all what I expected, but it still contained an interesting story. However, it was kind of predictable.

message 33: by Maria Jo (new)

Maria Jo Roll #5: 1+1=2

Landed on Pennsylvania Avenue: Read 2 books from 'Part of a Series' shelf.

message 34: by Maria Jo (new)

Maria Jo Finished Pennsylvania Avenue

Task: Read 2 books from the 'Part of a Series' shelf.

Book 1: A Grimm Warning (The Land of Stories, #3) by Chris Colfer
Date read: 9-10-2016
Rating: 4/5
I struggled a little reading this book. It was a great continuation of the series, however, I felt as though there was too much comedy within the serious sections of the story. I would have preferred a little more character distinction.

Book 2: The Cabinet of Wonders (The Kronos Chronicles, #1) by Marie Rutkoski
Date read: 8-21-2016
Excited to see where the next book in the series takes the story! Will she be able to develop her talents?

message 35: by Maria Jo (new)

Maria Jo Roll #6: 4+2=6

Landed on 'Go': Read any book of 200 pages or more.

Shouldn't be too difficult to meet this task!

message 36: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments First Atlantic Avenue Book
The Last Vampire (The Last Vampire #1) by Christopher Pike
Task: Read a book from the 2010 shelf
How it fits: 2010 shelf
Date read: 3/10/16
Rating: 3 stars

Review: This is my second time reading this book, but it felt like the first. I haven't read it for aaaages, like probably 5-6 years. I think I enjoyed it more the first time. Alisa was incredibly selfish, and that's one thing I don't like in a main character, but then again, a main character always has flaws to me. In my eyes, there's always something wrong with every main character :p I also didn't like how she (view spoiler) Also hated how (view spoiler) I don't like how everything just fell into place perfectly. But then I've never really liked happy endings in books :p

message 37: by Maddie (last edited Oct 10, 2016 06:16PM) (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Atlantic Avenue Completion
The Fallen (The Nine Lives of Chloe King #1) by Celia Thomson
Task: Read a book from the 2010 shelf
How it fits: 2010 shelf
Date read: 11/10/16

Review: Totally average :/ Didn't like this one much at all really. So typical, and predictable, but still alright. Just so weird how she (view spoiler)

message 38: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Rolled 5+1=6
Start: Atlantic Avenue (owned by me)
End: North Carolina Avenue
Task: Read 2 Love books

message 39: by Maria Jo (new)

Maria Jo Go Completion

Black as Night (A Fairy Tale Retold #2) by Regina Doman
Black as Night
How it fits: 284 pages
Read 9-19-2016
I really enjoyed this book, especially as now I am a little more invested in discerning my vocation. It was nice to be able to relate to Blanche as she contemplates her vocation, even though that was not a major part of the story.

message 40: by Maria Jo (last edited Oct 14, 2016 08:16PM) (new)

Maria Jo Roll #7: 3+3=6

Landed on Oriental Avenue.
Owned by Maddie: Read 2 books from the 2013 shelf.

message 41: by Maria Jo (new)

Maria Jo Oriental Avenue Completion

The Hollow (Hercule Poirot, #25) by Agatha Christie
The Hollow
Shelved as 2013 by 23 people.
Read 10-1-16.
I always love Agatha Christie, and this was no exception. Would have liked to see Hercule Poirot a little more, though.

The Cabinet of Earths (Maya and Valko, #1) by Anne Nesbet
The Cabinet of Earths
Shelved as 2013 by 3 people.
Read 10-6-16
It took me a while to get into this book, and I found myself easily distracted while I read it. Did not hold my attention well.

message 42: by Maria Jo (new)

Maria Jo Roll #8: 3+3=6

Landed on Electric Company: Read a book where the characters have electric chemistry.

message 43: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Wow that was quick :p

message 44: by Maria Jo (new)

Maria Jo I haven't updated in a while, and forgot about this game! I realized I had several books that met the next requirements.

message 45: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Ah right.

message 46: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments First North Carolina Book
The Rose & the Dagger (The Wrath & the Dawn, #2) by Renee Ahdieh
Task: Read a book from the love shelf
How it fits: Love shelf
Date read: 16/10/16

Review: Not as good as the first one, but still pretty good. Not as many shocking things either, but I suppose it was a lot more about character development. I like how we learnt more about Shazi's childhood friends and her family. I was really surprised to find (view spoiler) I could totally see (view spoiler) The biggest shock though was (view spoiler) :)
And Artan! I loved him! His aloofness when he first met Shazi, and then his seriousness and worry when (view spoiler) Awesome end to the series, especially with the Epilogue :)

message 47: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Second North Carolina Book
Fire and Ice (Warriors, #2) by Erin Hunter
How it fits: love shelf
Date read: 25/11/16

Review: As I was reading this one, I got quite a few surprises, what with (view spoiler) As I'd read this before many years ago, I was wracking my brain trying to remember who it could be, and I pulled up no answers! So that was a nice surprise. I also liked the sudden ending, because it makes me want to read the next one. One thing I didn't like was that (view spoiler) And it's kind of frustrating that (view spoiler) But one thing I did agree with was that (view spoiler) I liked how they had such a huge falling out. If I was Fireheart, I'd be acting the same!

message 48: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Third North Carolina Avenue Book
Forest of Secrets (Warriors, #3) by Erin Hunter
Date read: 3/12/16

Review: I was pretty frustrated at this re-read for quite a while. I mean, the book was amazing, but there was just one niggly thing that I couldn't remember even though the names were really familiar, and that was (view spoiler) I also couldn't remember if it was this book that (view spoiler) One thing that I didn't put in this book at all was (view spoiler) I hope that (view spoiler)

message 49: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments North Carolina Avenue Completion
The Last Star (The 5th Wave, #3) by Rick Yancey
Date read: 13/12/16

Review: I don't know what it is with this series, but I just have not enjoyed it at all. The first one was okay, but the second and third were really boring. The end was confusing too, I felt like nothing was really resolved.
Way too confusing as well. I needed to read this series all in a row, and I didn't. I started the second book confused, and then I waited a few months to read this one, and once again I was confused. I needed someone to explain what was happening to me, which I don't like much. It was pretty complex.

Two characters I found really similar were Zombie and Cassie, surprisingly. They both stayed true to themselves, and they also both did what they thought was right and fought for it too. They were both loyal, and brave. One thing I really liked was (view spoiler)
I like the way Sam developed, the way he really hardened up, but at the same time stayed his innocent self. I wish we'd seen the consequence of (view spoiler) And how did Evan (view spoiler)

So yeah, overall this is definitely not a favourite book. I'm glad that's the end of the series, because I couldn't take another book of being confused. Now I can forget about it.

message 50: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Rolled a 5+1=6
Start: North Carolina Avenue
End: Luxury Tax
Task: Read a book with a rich/poor/bank character

« previous 1 3 4