Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

The Dead Boyfriend (Fear Street Relaunch, #5)
This topic is about The Dead Boyfriend
The Dead Boyfriend, by R.L. Stine

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jasmine (last edited Jul 14, 2016 01:04PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jasmine (pikakejazz) | 144 comments I got this as an ARC from GR giveaways. To be honest, this was probably the least expected/wanted book from the dozens of giveaways that I entered... But I am committed now, so here goes! I will be reading this for #52 (Published in 2016). I'm hopefully going to be reading other books published this year, but I couldn't find another good category for this (that I haven't used already)...

message 2: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 219 comments I've noticed the same with Giveaways--I always win the ones that I wanted the least. Although I did win a slightly trashy-looking romance that I'm going to use as my suggestion that didn't make (the category I'm using is "a book you got for free").

Sorry for the off-topic; back on topic now:

When I was a preteen, I devoured pretty much every Fear Street book written (and I secretly read every Goosebumps book, which my little brother had on his bookshelf but I thought they were too young for me). It was fun to see this listed, kind of a trip down memory lane for me. In the early to mid-nineties, R.L. Stine was the top author with the middle school crowd. I currently teach middle and high school and have never seen any kids reading him--most of the readers like YA dystopian books, but even more don't read at all :( so I'm not sure how popular he is with this generation.

Now that I'm in my thirties, I'm not sure if these books would still appeal to me, but I hope that you enjoy it!

Jasmine (pikakejazz) | 144 comments Yeah I probably have about the same background with him.... I think he was a key to my formative reading years with Goosebumps and some of the Fear Street books. But it has been pretty difficult to get into this one. :(

He writes in first person; I think to sound more modern?? But it feels really forced and awkward. I'm not a huge fan of first person narrative, especially if the character in question has no device for narrating except their own head. This novel the main character is supposedly writing in a diary, but it's almost more annoying because she keeps on mentioning her "Diary" in the parenthetical. Maybe I have just become accustomed to the new brand of first-person narrative?? I have no idea... but his writing majorly bugs!

Jasmine (pikakejazz) | 144 comments Not too bad, as long as you are craving to relive some 90s/childhood (the 90s was my childhood) nostalgia. It took me a little bit longer to get into since I wasn't really in the mood for it at first, but otherwise it would have been a super easy read.

My review here.

message 5: by Sophie (last edited Aug 01, 2016 08:43AM) (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2854 comments I read a lot of Goosebumps (or Chair de Poule in French) when I was a kid, but hadn't thought about them for years! Thanks for reminding me of them ;)