Obsessed with True Crime discussion

Movies/TV / Podcasts Archive > Let The Fire Burn

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fishface (last edited Jul 14, 2016 12:22PM) (new)

Fishface | 13698 comments I can't recommend this one too highly. It's a documentary on the largely-forgotten MOVE crisis in Philadelphia. An attempt to evict some obnoxious neighbors in a quiet family neighborhood culminated in two whole streets of family homes being gutted by fire, and 11 deaths. How did it come to this? The mayor ordered the that the house occupied by a group called MOVE -- a row house with decent families living to the north, south, east and west, two of those households sharing walls with the address -- be firebombed.

You won't see many stories as crazy as this one.

message 2: by Rita (new)

Rita (crimesleuthjunkie) | 1111 comments Fishface wrote: "I can't recommend this one too highly. It's a documentary on the largely-forgotten MOVE crisis in Philadelphia. An attempt to evict some obnoxious neighbors in a quiet family neighborhood culminate..."

Fishface, I want to read Let The Fire Burn but I tried to find it but I don't know the author? Could you let me know??? Thanks Fishface....

message 3: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 13698 comments Rita wrote: "Fishface wrote: "I can't recommend this one too highly. It's a documentary on the largely-forgotten MOVE crisis in Philadelphia. An attempt to evict some obnoxious neighbors in a quiet family neigh..."

It's not a book, it's a documentary film! Unlikely to be in the Goodreads database!

message 4: by Fishface (last edited Jul 17, 2016 04:25PM) (new)

Fishface | 13698 comments I just got a whole new insight about this case from the book I'm currently reading, Murdered by Mumia: A Life Sentence of Loss, Pain, and Injustice. Apparently Mumia Abu-Jamal's political views were strongly influenced by MOVE, the embittered, gunslinging activist group that is the subject of LET THE FIRE BURN. A bunch of them were present at his murder trial, hurling abuse at the widow of the police officer Mumia shot, and they have had a lot to do with all the furor that has been going on ever since around him. Mumia's opponents have already stated more than once in this book that MOVE "caused the conflagration" that destroyed 62 houses in the neighborhood where they lived. Are they cereal??? That was by order of the mayor, who was definitely not taking orders from John Africa. It lets me in on the depth of the hatred between the different sides in both of these crazy, crazy, crazy cases. Everybody has stopped making sense.