Science Fiction Aficionados discussion

SF Short Stories > Best Science Fiction Anthology

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (new)

Dan | 350 comments A new anthology of science fiction stories is out and being hyped as the best ever. What do you think? http://knopfdoubleday.com/book/248846...

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott I saw this in the store the other day. I don't remember exactly what was in it but it's huge so no doubt there's some good stuff in there. The format is a bit odd though; the text is presented in two columns on each page.

message 3: by Dan (new)

Dan | 350 comments I looked at the Table of Contents and recognized only maybe half the authors. There was a lot of obscure stuff. For just one example of many: "Standing Woman" by Yasutaka Tsutsui. Who ever heard of this?

message 4: by Phil (new)

Phil J | 116 comments On this general topic...

I haven't read that many anthologies, but the one that stands out to me is Battlefields Beyond Tomorrow: Science Fiction War Stories. It had the novella versions of Ender's Game and Forever War, and they blew me away. A lot of the other selections are super-classic, too.

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott Dan wrote: "I looked at the Table of Contents and recognized only maybe half the authors. There was a lot of obscure stuff. For just one example of many: "Standing Woman" by Yasutaka Tsutsui. Who ever heard of..."

I haven't, but maybe it's great, who knows? I'd rather new anthologies reprint obscure material than the same old "classics" over and over.

message 6: by C. John (new)

C. John Kerry (cjkerry) | 372 comments The thing about "Best Science Fiction" anthologies that it is really the editor's idea of what is best. I recall one reviewer who did back to back reviews of two books that were supposed to be the best SF of the year and the contents of the books were almost if not totally different.