Advanced Copies for Review & Book Giveaways discussion

Book Giveaways > 5 giveaways running - multiple copies available!

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by T.J. (new)

T.J. (teejayslee) | 15 comments Charlie Jones ARC giveaway - This is a signed limited edition 800 page omnibus version of the 'Charlie Jones' thriller trilogy. It includes the final volume 'FISSURE' which will not be released until November 2016.

https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sh...

"There is a sucker punch of a twist that ranks with the last line of Charles Willeford’s Pick-Up. It’s truly a ripper, as the Aussies might say. An auspicious introduction to an unconventional new character in the spy game." - Kirkus Reviews (Recommended title April 2016)

Signed copy of volume II: Cloister

"Jones has a bit of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’s Lisbeth Salander in her: she’s a very un-nunlike badass who rides a Vespa, wears a leather jacket, and sports close-cropped hair and a diamond nose stud...The assassination plot is all too credible and Slee advances the story at a deliberate, inexorable pace. But it’s Jones’ cheeky, first-person narration that propels the narrative. Readers may find that keeping up with Jones’ exploits could get to be a habit." - Kirkus Reviews recommended title June 2016

Signed ARC copy of volume 3: Fissure - This final volume will not be released until Nov 2016...

Signed copy of The Vanirim: a genre bending post apocalyptic crime fantasy.

"I very much enjoyed this book, with many twists and turns, and its unexpected ending. I look forward very much to read more from this author. The Vanirim has elements of crime, fantasy, as well as thriller traits, and I think is a good fusion, maybe even a new genre?" Stacy on Goodreads.

Signed copy of Queen of America (episodes I-IV): Viking adventure series

"What I loved (why the 5 stars) is that the main heroine is such a kick @ss conflicted warrior princess she just keeps you gripped as she battles storms, hostile Indians, treacherous Vikings, witches and magic in her quest to set up a colony in America." - Kvest on Goodreads

message 2: by Rishit (new)

Rishit | 70 comments T.J. wrote: "Charlie Jones ARC giveaway - This is a signed limited edition 800 page omnibus version of the 'Charlie Jones' thriller trilogy. It includes the final volume 'FISSURE' which will not be released unt..."

She fights Indians??

message 3: by T.J. (last edited Jul 14, 2016 03:50PM) (new)

T.J. (teejayslee) | 15 comments Not the ones from the subcontinent :)

In the Vinland sagas, which are believed to refer to the Viking settlement of North America, Freydis and her fellow Vikings are attacked by the local indigenous people (proto Beothuk tribes of Newfoundland possibly, who the Vikings referred to as Skraeling). That conflict is central to my book and I've adapted the following scene - this text is from the sagas:

Freydis came out and saw how they were retreating. She called out, "Why run you away from such worthless creatures, stout men that ye are, when, as seems to me likely, you might slaughter them like so many cattle? Let me but have a weapon, I think I could fight better than any of you." They gave no heed to what she said. Freydis endeavoured to accompany them, still she soon lagged behind, because she was not well; she went after them into the wood, and the Skrælingar directed their pursuit after her. She came upon a dead man; Thorbrand, Snorri's son, with a flat stone fixed in his head; his sword lay beside him, so she took it up and prepared to defend herself therewith.

Then came the Skrælingar upon her. She let down her sark and struck her breast with the naked sword. At this they were frightened, rushed off to their boats, and fled away. Karlsefni and the rest came up to her and praised her zeal. Two of Karlsefni's men fell, and four of the Skrælingar, notwithstanding they had overpowered them by superior numbers. After that, they proceeded to their booths, and began to reflect about the crowd of men which attacked them upon the land; it appeared to them now that the one troop will have been that which came in the boats, and the other troop will have been a delusion of sight. The Skrælingar also found a dead man, and his axe lay beside him. One of them struck a stone with it, and broke the axe. It seemed to them good for nothing, as it did not withstand the stone, and they threw it down.

BTW the phrase 'Indians' was not mine, it was that reviewer's. I don't think the Vikings made it to India did they?

message 4: by Rishit (new)

Rishit | 70 comments T.J. wrote: "Not the ones from the subcontinent :)

In the Vinland sagas, which are believed to refer to the Viking settlement of North America, Freydis and her fellow Vikings are attacked by the local indigeno..."

Oh, now I know!
They landed on America and came to know its not India unlike Columbus!
Btw, can I get a physical review copy of 'Charlie Jones series'??