What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > adopted sisters MDs NY 1800s

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Polly (new)

Polly | 12 comments recent, adult, book set in 1800s about 2 adopted sisters (one white, one black? bi-racial?) who are medical doctors. One falls in love with man with TB, one solely devoted to being a doctor.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40226 comments Mod
Polly, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 3: by Polly (new)

Polly | 12 comments Still locking...actually it's been so long, I forgot I was looking!!! You know it??? Now I'm re-interested!!!

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40226 comments Mod
Terrific.

message 5: by Mai (last edited May 06, 2019 12:06PM) (new)

Mai | 1266 comments This one sounds too close not to mention it! I found it searching online but from the readers' descriptions is looks promising. It's not about two sisters though but two cousins:
The Gilded Hour by Sara Donati. Published in 2015.
The Story: “The Gilded Hour” is based in New York City, circa 1883. The book’s primary characters are two cousins, Liliane M. “Anna” Savard, who is Anglo, and Sophie E. Savard, who is a mulatto. Sophie is the adopted daughter of two freed blacks. Both women are doctors. They live on the Lower East Side of New York City with their Aunt Lily Quinlan-everyone simply calls her Aunt Quinlan-and her adult stepdaughter, Margaret Quinlan Cooper. Sophie is in love with an attorney named Peter Verhoeven, nicknamed “Cap”. Cap is ill with consumption. Cap is also white.

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21031 comments Polly, was it the book Mai suggested?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Gilded Hour (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sara Donati (other topics)