What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Fiction: Man who gives up wealth to see if he can rebuild, moves to Africa

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anson (new)

Anson Parillaud | 4 comments I read about this book in the late 70s. It's about a wealthy man who gives away all of his wealth and moves to Africa to see if he can start with nothing and build it all again. I think it was mentioned in one of those "hard money" investment books that were so popular back then by guys like Doug Casey and Howard Ruff.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40094 comments Mod
Is it nonfiction then?

message 3: by Anson (new)

Anson Parillaud | 4 comments I'm sorry, yes it is.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36026 comments Mod
Anson wrote: "I'm sorry, yes it is."

Thanks for the clarification, Anson. I updated the topic header - feel free to edit it.

message 5: by Anson (new)

Anson Parillaud | 4 comments Arrggghh. My girlfriend says it was DEFINITELY fiction, and I trust her more than I trust me. Sorry for the confusion. Perhaps I should have gotten my fumbling out of the way before I posted...

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36026 comments Mod
No worries. A guess - The Devil Tree by Jerzy Kosiński?

What country/region is he coming from? How did he make his money? Is he a millionaire?

What does he do in Africa?

Are there any other main characters? Does he have a family with him?

message 7: by Anson (new)

Anson Parillaud | 4 comments Don't remember where he's coming from, if I ever knew, or how he made his money. I think he was extremely wealthy, but can't be much more specific than that. The impression I got is that he was the only "main" character.

I don't think it's The Devil Tree but, given what info I've provided, that's an absolutely brilliant guess!

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40094 comments Mod
Anson, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Devil Tree (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jerzy Kosiński (other topics)